Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

1997 V8 Explorer PCM w/harness and transmission transplant in my 1977 351w F150

Discussion in 'Need for Speed!' started by boominXplorer, October 8, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. boominXplorer

boominXplorer Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Virginia Beach, Va
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      00 4x4 Mounty
      So made some progress......Got the frame painted, new brakes, new kingpins, 3.50 rear axle rebuilt. Still have to fix the frame where the front body mounts sit and a bunch of little things but the suspension is done. Few issues have arose though.

First is the trans mount: It needs to be moved back 2". Problem is the current mount is right where the frame starts to go up in the back, so it can't just be moved back. Also If I leave it where it is and modify the mount it will be near impossible to get the pan off. A new crossmember will be made out of tube.

Headers: I thought long tubes would be ideal but damn they are a pain to install. They don't make 351w headers and the ones I have are made for the 302. The drivers side fits with some decent hammering to clear the steering box (still only about 1/8" clearance after hammering). The passenger side hits the frame rail and the starter portion on the trans. Even with the cab off the engine has to be lifted to get the passenger header in. They will both "work" with a few dings but will be an absolute pain to service. I'm looking for other options which quite possibly means going to shorties. I've tried some mustang headers (short and long) and a set of explorer FMS headers and none work like I want.

I also broke down and bought the knock off PP 351w mustang swap intake. Seems to fit good and be of decent quality. Couldn't pass up the black Friday price of $285 for the polished upper and lower.

The cab has been in the back of the shop getting rust repair. Floors and cab corners are done, along with some patches in the door jam area. Down to roof repair and to decide how much rust I'll fix on the bed. It's all being patched right with steel, no body filler till the last step to make it purdy.

20171202_182933.jpg

20171202_185653.jpg

20171201_202821.jpg

20171202_185906.jpg

20171124_154312.jpg

20171202_182504.jpg

Last edited: December 3, 2017
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. boominXplorer

boominXplorer Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Virginia Beach, Va
      00 4x4 Mounty
      I also want to add it appears I got lucky with my pick n pull 96 Explorer 4r70w. I pulled the pan and found a reman valve body and bonded accumulators. The torque converter has a date on it of late 98 so it could if been rebuilt early in life. I has decided against upgrading the trans to the 98+ parts as this trans should be good to go (pulled from a wrecked 96 with 150k). I will upgrade or swap it out later if any issues arise.

4. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Excellent progress, that chassis/frame work is tough and important. That should make the truck last a long time and not need much work in the near future.