Solved - 1998 - 2002 Ford Explorer Stereo Wiring Diagrams ARE HERE!!!!! | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 1998 - 2002 Ford Explorer Stereo Wiring Diagrams ARE HERE!!!!!

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
Here you go Bree...

Head Unit Wiring Info for 1994 Explorer
Dead Link Removed

-Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i want to know all the factory radio wiring of a ford explorer xlt 2000
any one knws them?

I have a stock 98 explorer sport and i was wondering if anyone has a wiring diagram for the stock head unit? my i have had two speakers go out already i replaced one but im wondering if it is the wiring.

Finally found it!
97expjbl.png

I want to thank you for posting that image. I have spent the last 2 weeks trying to get my ipod interfaced in my Expedition. The PIE device I ordered was defective and rather than replace it I decided controlling the iPod form the dash was unnecessary but it would be great to charge the iPod and play the iPod but also retain the use of the CD changer. I needed the pin out of the connector so I could avoid a lot of hassle and potential damage. I tested it and it works! You must have a CD in the changer to keep the in dash unit focused on the CD inputs, but the ipod plays just fine. Once the cable comes in I intend to install it and use a DPDT switch to switch the line input between the ipod dock and the CD changer.

This is the cable I'll be using.
RCA-iPD made (or rather imported) by P.I.E.

I also want to plug Logjam. The tech support people on the other end of their email address have been great. They are very service oriented.

Thanks again for posting this schematic.

No CD audio but radio works

93' Ford Explorer XLT 4 door automatic

I had an AIWA stereo in the Explorer. It's getting old, CD skips. Bought a SONY CDX-GT55UIW. I was told that since I had a 3rd party unit already installed rather than the Ford factory, I could use the existing wire harness and would not have to buy another one.

New Sony radio works fine. CD works but no audio, you can see the track's and time count. A call to Sony said something about the antenna power wire but it went over my head. They directed me to the following web site:
SONY eSupport
Anyway, there is no power antenna on the Explorer.

Following is my wiring harness diagram that worked fine with the AIWA. Can someone tell me what I need to change to get the CD to play in addition to the radio on the Sony?

AudioWireHarness.jpg

Hey all i have gone threw all the post but didn't quite get the information i was wondering about. My 97 explorer has the JBL system with amp/subwoofer. The subwoofer works fine but the amp shorted out and after replacing with another i found it also shorted out i would like to just install an aftermarket radio but when i tried it seriously sounded like crap as only one speaker worked. When i reinstalled the factory unit all speakers worked except for the sup that went off the amp but there was no bass in any of the other speakers just highs.

bare silver wire??????

what is the bare silver wire in the grey harness for and should i connect it to aftermarket deck .

CD Changer wiring

Just got the CD Changer out of of an X.
It's dated 10/95
Clarion Corp 6 disc
Serial # 0193555.
There was no Radio.
Plan on installing in my 2006 Ranger 4dr
What head unit or after market can I use with this?
Saw the wiring for it & made a copy.

Also on the plastic tray it's mounted in had another plug on the other side of the CD!
Looks like a computer net work plug!
It's a Grey covered shield cable.
What is it for?

Any idea on how to get the CD holder out of it with no power?

Amplifier

I just purchased a 1993 explorer and the radio had been replaced at some point. The installer just ran some wires and external speakers and at some point cut the orginal wires out. Where is the amp located? I am trying to find the speaker wires without tearing out all the wiring or door panels.

Switching the positive and negative on the sub will just change the direction. its like when you inverse mount a sub ( magnet out side the box, cone facing in) you are supposed to switch the phase, or just reverse negative and positive. which makes it pull air instead of pushing it. thats what i have learned. hope that helps.

Your partially correct but it has nothing to do with placing a sub woofer facing the inside of a box or being inside the box. it has more to do with multiple speakers it is called being in phase.

when properly connected all speaker cones move either in or out together then it then when it will produce the strongest signal and clearest sound.

Sorry for bumping an old post...

99 EB, Mach HU. The previous owner did some surgery and I'm left with half a stereo. Stock speakers in all four doors. They work, but sound horrible (easy swap out to after market 5x7's/6x8's).

Here's my problem/question... The sub is missing. The amp is there, but the plug from the amp to the sub is also missing.

1.) is there an aftermarket retailer (Radio Shack, maybe?) that sells the two prong plug from the amp to the sub?

2.) is there a way to test the amp to see if it's working? (Would be much easier if the answer to 1 is "yes")

3.) what size is this sub? I thought it was 8", but the hole seems more like 6 3/4". I only had about 2 minutes to survey the box before I had to run out the door. My guess is once I get the box out, I'll be able to properly measure.

4.) Is all of this nonsense, and I'd just be further ahead to 5 channel amp the whole dang thing?

Your needing the metra 705601. u can get it from ebay, amazon, about anywhere. its for the jbl premium system. it has everything that you need

I cannot make heads or tails of the Mach wiring diagrams. Specifically, I'm looking at the sub enclosure... I match the wire colors in the diagram, but I don't know what the wires are for?

Here's what I have:

Light Green/Purple
Black/Green
(these two are thicker guage than the others. I'm assuming power)

Dark Green/Purple
Red/black
Brown/orange

Trying to troublshoot the sub enclosure and not sure what these do. Anyone know or can better decipher the wiring diagrams on page one?

second look at the diagrams....

Light Green/Purple = hot. It says "hot at all times" but I have to think that's "hot when switched"

Black/green = ground

That leaves:
Dark Green/Purple
Red/black
Brown/orange

One of them has to be right in, and one has to be left in, right(who's on first)?

second look at the diagrams....

Light Green/Purple = hot. It says "hot at all times" but I have to think that's "hot when switched"

Black/green = ground

That leaves:
Dark Green/Purple
Red/black
Brown/orange

One of them has to be right in, and one has to be left in, right(who's on first)?

is this what you want?
Out of head unit 8 pin connector:
pin
1 red/blk - pre-amp signal out + (uses differential signals)
2 brn/org - pre-amp signal out - (uses differential signals)
3 blk - Audio Shield - braided cover over the two inputs only connected at the head end for noise suppression.
4 dk grn/vio high audio mute - amp turn on/off 5v logic
used to mute the sub woofer when the main system is muted. 0 volts =mute.

Into the sub woofer amp:
pin
1 dk grn/vio high audio mute - amp turn on/off 5v logic
used to mute the sub woofer when the main system is muted. 0 volts =mute.
2 blk/lt grn ground
3,4,5 not used
6 lt grn/vio =power to sub 12 volts.
7 red/blk - into sub pre-amp signal + (uses differential signals)
8 brn/org - into sub pre-amp signal - (uses differential signals)

Note! most of the connectors are available as pigtail assemblies from motorcraft.

Maybe somone here can help with this one. I have a '99 EB with the Mach system. Everything was working perfectly, then one morning, the sub wasn't working. I had replaced the sub a few years ago with another OEM sub. The original had blown out. Although blown, it still would produce sound.

Right now, it is as though it is not even hooked up. Nothing comes out at all. Additionally, the CD changer will not work. There is power going to it because I can eject the cd holder, but when I try to select it on the stereo it'self, it says "NO CDDJ". I am at a total loss. Anyone have an idea?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks man this is great!

Back