1998 4 door Explorer | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 4 door Explorer

Used transmission installed
280,670 miles

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So right before the transmission went out, I had a check engine light come on for an Evap leak.
Friday after work hours I smoke tested the evap system with the canister vent commanded closed with the Ford IDS scan tool.
I could see smoke coming out of the evap canister but not exactly where since it is over the spare tire.
So Today I dropped the spare down and got a closer look, the metal bracket was all rusted away and the plastic canister was worn into.
I used a soldering gun to melt the whole closed, I took a tab off one end for more plastic to melt into the whole.
When done I vacuum tested it and it held.
I had to make a bracket out of aluminum strips and wood, yes wood. If it lasts a year I will be happy, truck will be rusted away to nothing by then.

IMG_0343.JPG
IMG_0345.JPG
IMG_0346.JPG
IMG_0348.JPG
IMG_0350.JPG
IMG_0353.JPG

Good find, and would a glue gun help with that kind of plastic? I don't have one, but that's an odd tool that may sometimes be useful.

Is that rusted piece a bolt on part, that you could buy from a parts source here?

I swappped mine out for the plastic bracket from an 01 , all the metal ones are rotten and the spare tires always have a rim so rusty id never trust it

A glue gun may have worked, but I did not want a chance of it leaking from the glue falling off later on. I do have a glue gun.
The part is a bolt on but you will probably not find a good metal one anywhere around my way.

Now I had no idea there was a plastic one in 2001, if I did I would have gotten one of those. Do you happen to know the part number for a plastic one?

I swappped mine out for the plastic bracket from an 01 , all the metal ones are rotten and the spare tires always have a rim so rusty id never trust it
Plastic, cool. I'll have to see what that looks like, I think that's a front to back bracket under the charcoal canisters.

Projectthread050.JPG

I'll be under there sometime this week , doing a ton of work to it so ill see if i can get a pic of any numbers on it

Today my power steering cooler blew out as I arrived at work.
I didn't even know it until a coworker said my truck was smoking in the parking lot.
My first thought was oh no the trans went again. lol.
When I looked under it I thought it was the front main crankshaft seal.
I was very happy to see it was just the power steering cooler.
It is now bypassed with a piece of 3/8 fuel line that is flared on each end and bent into a sort of U-shape.

IMG_0396.JPG
IMG_0404.JPG

Interesting, you killed a cooler. That doesn't happen often, did it let go at a seam or what?

The cooler is just a tube bent in a u shape with fins attached to it. I think the tube may have rusted from the outside.
I was going to pressure test it to see if I can see where it is damaged but I ended up working on another project instead.

that thing doesnt look that bad. hell, everything up here would be rotted from the door handles down

That's the good side, here is the passenger side. Breaks my heart.

IMG_0407.JPG
IMG_0409.JPG

Sorry to see the rust, I don't want to mess with any of that. I do suggest spraying all of the lines underneath to stop the corrosion, those PS lines look iffy now. I'd bet the brake lines are also getting fragile now too. Now would be a good time to do what you can to treat them all, with a rust dissolver, and then converter, all but the end fittings.

I swear I spent a solid 10 minutes looking at that before I realized that's your rocker, my 5.0 is a northern truck but it's in perfect shape compared to that, that's fixable though, seen it done multiple times even here in SC

A glue gun may have worked, but I did not want a chance of it leaking from the glue falling off later on. I do have a glue gun.
The part is a bolt on but you will probably not find a good metal one anywhere around my way.

Now I had no idea there was a plastic one in 2001, if I did I would have gotten one of those. Do you happen to know the part number for a plastic one?
These are the best pics i could get of the evap canister bracket

IMG_20170608_112805_582.jpg

IMG_20170608_112647_309.jpg

Used a paint marker to highlight the part number hope it helps

Thanks!
I will keep checking eBay and google to see if one shows up.
If not maybe I will hit the junkyard and get lucky enough to find one or two.

I had made one out of sheet metal until i found this one

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mileage from March, had to pull over and snap a picture.

speedometer 4 door 98.JPG

Back