1998 Explorer aftermarket cd player install? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer aftermarket cd player install?

nice96gt

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Grand Am GT
I was asked to install an aftermarket cd player into a friends 1998 Explorer this weekend but I just wanted to have a few questions answered. I have read through the FAQ's and they were helpful, but I just want to confirm a few things. Will I need any special harness for hooking it up or is it straight forward? Also, there isn't an amp that will need to be bypassed correct? I have done a lot of searching and I can't seem to get a straight answer for a 98 model, so that's why I am asking even the simplest of questions. I'm not sure if it has the base, premium or audiophile system, but will it make a difference with the install? We are also adding an amp and subwoofer so even if the factory sub is there it will be removed. If anyone could give me some insight as to what I will need harness wise for the install that would be great. Thanks. :)

-Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You'd have to find the wiring diagram for which ever factory stereo is installed. Crutchfield's has a harness you can buy for like $12.95 which is nice since you don't have to cut any wires.

As far as a factory amp and Sub, it's all dependent and which factory stereo is installed. My '98 has the base stereo which doesn't have an amp to bypass or a sub.

The Crutchfeild harness made my install easy, I sat at my work bench and hooked the harness up and was able to walk outside pull the old unit out cut the power antena wire and splice it into the harness and plug everything together and play. The whole operation took less than 15 minutes. Crutch feild was also very helpfull in telling me which wire was for the power antena.
I had the mach system and there was an explanation on how to wire it as well.

Thanks so far guys. Yeah I will be using a harness without any question, it just makes the wiring part easier. I have done many vehicles before but I try to stay away from the factory amped ones since I haven't dealt with them enough.

I just found out a little more info that may be helpful. He has the 98 sport model and it has a Bose system. From the sounds of it I think it is just the base system. Isn't the amp in the deck in the '98+ so I wouldn't have to worry about bypassing an amp? I would only have to worry about the wiring if there was a sub, which I don't think there is anyways. Thanks again.

The Bose system is not the base the system in the 98 sport. I guess you'll have to fly by the seat of your pants when you pull the old head unit.

Back