• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer Eddie Bauer

crpowell67

Reaction score
City, State
Christopher, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 ford explorer
I have a 1998 explorer with auto 4x4 if I pull the fuse will it just be a 2 wheel drive vehicle. I noticed sounds from the front when I switch to 4x4 or if it slips and kicks in itself so was going to pull the fuse till I can get it fixed. I am thinking 2wd is rear wheels

Yes you can pull the fuse, assuming there isn't anything else on the same circuit that you need working.

The front half shafts into the front differential will still spin as will the shaft into the transfer case which is where the electromagnetic clutch engages it. In other words if the problem is forward of the transfer case, all of that is still spinning as the front wheels rotate.

IF the problem is something like the front differential low on fluid or fluid turned to muck, you might be better off checking and filling it if needed before continuing to drive with it still spinning. That may not be the problem, just thought I'd throw it out there.

Yes it's RWD then.

If you have the ability to record the sound or a video with it and put that on youtube, there's a possibility someone will recognize what's wrong.

Back