1998 Explorer horn not working. Horns checked out. Relay clicks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer horn not working. Horns checked out. Relay clicks

Nate_V8

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal, Quebec
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 5L AWD
I have another thread going on electrical gremlins but I wanted some focused fire on this.

My horn worked no problem and then just stopped working for awhile. I tried it at some point and pushed on the horn and held it and after about 5-6s the horn worked and worked like normal, just a little push and it worked fine for about a week or so. Then it stopped working again and hasn't worked since.

I tore apart the center of the steering wheel and everything seems fine, to confirm I popped the hood and pressed the horn and I can here the relay clicking in the fuse box under the hood every time.

Today I removed the battery and battery tray and pulled the horns out and found an extra wire spliced into the main blue power wire for the horns. I hooked the horns up to the battery and both worked perfect.

Here is a pic of the horns and the wire I found, it was just hanging by itself and not attached to anything. I'm assuming it was attached to the horn but for what reason I don't know. The one blue wire powers both horns and it was connected so why the red wire?

20180306_142754.jpg
20180306_142724.jpg
20180306_142715.jpg

Do the horns jjust ground to the chassis? Maybe the red wire was on the chassis? It had black tape which I removed when I took the pic.

So many replies!

So I cleaned the contacts and installed the horns again. Cut out that red wire and patched it up. Horns still didn't work. I tried swapping the relay as was suggested on here from another and the horns worked! I thought if the relay clicked that it was working. Lesson learned!

Back