Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

1998 Explorer horn not working. Horns checked out. Relay clicks

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by Nate_V8, March 6, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Nate_V8

Nate_V8 Active Member

City, State:
      Montreal, Quebec
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1998 XLT 5L AWD
      I have another thread going on electrical gremlins but I wanted some focused fire on this.

My horn worked no problem and then just stopped working for awhile. I tried it at some point and pushed on the horn and held it and after about 5-6s the horn worked and worked like normal, just a little push and it worked fine for about a week or so. Then it stopped working again and hasn't worked since.

I tore apart the center of the steering wheel and everything seems fine, to confirm I popped the hood and pressed the horn and I can here the relay clicking in the fuse box under the hood every time.

Today I removed the battery and battery tray and pulled the horns out and found an extra wire spliced into the main blue power wire for the horns. I hooked the horns up to the battery and both worked perfect.

Here is a pic of the horns and the wire I found, it was just hanging by itself and not attached to anything. I'm assuming it was attached to the horn but for what reason I don't know. The one blue wire powers both horns and it was connected so why the red wire?

20180306_142754.jpg 20180306_142724.jpg 20180306_142715.jpg

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Nate_V8

Nate_V8 Active Member

City, State:
      Montreal, Quebec
      1998 XLT 5L AWD
      Do the horns jjust ground to the chassis? Maybe the red wire was on the chassis? It had black tape which I removed when I took the pic.

4. Nate_V8

Nate_V8 Active Member

City, State:
      Montreal, Quebec
      1998 XLT 5L AWD
      So many replies!

So I cleaned the contacts and installed the horns again. Cut out that red wire and patched it up. Horns still didn't work. I tried swapping the relay as was suggested on here from another and the horns worked! I thought if the relay clicked that it was working. Lesson learned!