1. Tip... Did you know that if you hold most smartphones sideways you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum?
    Dismiss Notice

for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

1998 Ford Explorer 4.0L OHV with a blown head gasket.

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by marrk, December 25, 2010.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. marrk

marrk New Member

City, State:
      saint george, south carolina
      Year and Model:
      1998 ford explorer
      A month ago when riding to the grocery store, all of a sudden the truck started running terrible and lots of smoke out the exhaust that smelled sweet.Pulled over and check the coolant and it was almost gone so i filled it up and drove a mile back to the house.When i got back to the house it was almost empty again.My oil looked like a milk shake mixture.After reading a bunch of forums i determined it was a blown head gasket. So i proceeded to take the engine apart. i got down to the heads and after taking the valves out, i noticed a crack in the valve seats on both heads. Got two used heads online with less than 65,000 miles on them and they looked good when i got them.Got new Head gasket kit and head bolts and lapped the valves and put new valve stem seals in.Replaced all gaskets,Put everythng back together and torx it down.Went to crank it up and battery was dead. i charged the battery and cranked it up.Right away it starts making a loud tapping noise that sounded like a loud sewing machine.After letting it run for about a min,i gave it some gas (rpm2000) and it went away for about 5 seconds.i let the truck run for about 8 min and the noise would come and go and there was tons of white smoke coming out the exhaust the entire 8 min.I'll record the niose when i get a chance.Anyone got any ideas of what it could be?Actual engine noisehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2trjzwZhLA0

Last edited: December 25, 2010
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. marrk

marrk New Member

City, State:
      Year and Model:
      1998 ford explorer
    4. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    5. marrk

marrk New Member

City, State:
      Year and Model:
      1998 ford explorer
      1998 ford explorer 4.0 ohv blown head gasket

The oil pressure gauge i have just reads high or low and the gauge is right in the middle.any other ideas.

6. ragajungle

ragajungle Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Chicago, IL
      Year and Model:
      89 BroncoII & 05 Taurus
      either the heads you got are bad, the engine is terribly out of time (very possible if you removed the cam sync assy) or you killed the mains / cam etc when you drove it with coolant in the oil. Are there any codes? CEL? What is the oil like now?

7. jd944

jd944 New Member

City, State:
      Palm Harbor, FL
      Year and Model:
      95 Limited, 4X4
      It sounds like the lifters are full of the coolant/oil mix. It could take a while for them to quiet down. As long as you have oil pressure and keep the revs down you shouldn't hurt anything by running it. As for the smoke, keep in mind that you pumped the oil/coolant mixture through the entire exhaust system. It will take some time for it to burn off, especially from the converter.

Last edited: December 27, 2010
    8. marrk

marrk New Member

City, State:
      Year and Model:
      1998 ford explorer
      1998 ford explorer 4.0 ohv blown head gasket

Ok, i cranked up the truck today and let it run for about 10 minutes. while it was running i noticed that one of the fuel injectors was leaking fuel.I replaced all the old O rings with new ones.what could i have done wrong to make a fuel injector with new O rings leak?

9. GenericPerson

GenericPerson New Member

Year and Model:
      97 ford explorer 4.0 ohv
      Hey, i know this is old news for you but did you ever resolve your issue? Did it turn out to be just the injector? Or was it something else? I replaced the head gasket on my 97 and have the same issue, lawn mower sounds and white exhaust.

10. acrx7

acrx7 New Member

City, State:
      Milford , MA
      Year and Model:
      1999 Ford Explorer
      Hi GenericPerson , some times on some engine you need to prime the lifters if not they get air and not do its job because they have air and since they are oil pressure if air its in it well you get noise and can damage them or something else , anyone correct me if I'm wrong :)