1999 5.0 Explorer: Throttle cable keeps falling off throttle body. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 5.0 Explorer: Throttle cable keeps falling off throttle body.

MattDoll

Reaction score
City, State
Madison
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Limited V8
I stomped hard on the accelerator to pass a tractor. A couple miles later when I tried to activate the cruise control I lost throttle control at the accelerator. I found that the cables came off the throttle body. The two cables are connected together; the cruise control cable is attached to the accelerator cable which connects to the throttle body using a plastic socket fitting that fits on the throttle body ball fitting. The plastic socket fitting on the accelerator cable appears to be worn out, it pops on and off too easily. Every time I drive the truck it pops off.
Has anyone had this problem? The cable is discontinued at Ford according to several websites. I can't seem to find a replacement cable. Maybe I can repair the fitting?

Thanks,
Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've never heard of that part wearing out.
Your best bet is a vehicle grave yard.

Maybe I am missing a metal clip? The cable uses a ball and socket fitting. There is a metal ball fitting on the throttle body and a plastic socket fitting on the cable. I just got back from O'reilly auto parts and showed them pictures on my phone. One guy thought I was missing a metal clip. I tried to add a photo to this post but can't. Can anyone tell me if I'm missing a metal clip?

Thanks,
Matt

There is a metal thingy in the socket side if I remember correctly.
For now, can you just use a zip tie till you sort it out?

Thanks for the response. I agree, it seems there should be a metal piece inside the socket. I've cheeked the web and auto-parts stores and can't seem to find a clip or anything that would fit inside. I just tried a clip from a mechanical pencil eraser. It fit in the socket and seemed like it might work but I couldn't slip it onto the throttle body ball fitting and didn't want to force it too much. I picture the correct clip looks like a roll pin with a hole in the side where the ball fitting would click into. Any suggestions where I could find such a thing?

Thanks,
Matt

Junkyard?

Probably worth the trip just to see what it should look like.

I have bought a few new throttle cables from advance auto parts , dorman makes them

I'll see what i can find for you

Found this with a quick search

Screenshot_2017-06-23-15-59-45.png

I think im gonna start saving some of those when we are scrapping out or junk yard hunting , my spare parts have already taken over one of the buildings here on my farm

Thanks for looking. Has any tried the above cable (ATP Automotive Y-1183) on a 5.0 explorer? I checked a couple sites and they don't list it as compatible with a 1999 Explorer Limited V8. It looks like the socket end would fit the ball fitting on the throttle body. However, the socket end on the original cable has a rectangular plastic body which the cruise control cable clips onto.

These are not direct replacement throttle cables you're seeing on the auto parts' websites. At best, they would require some modification to work on your vehicle...which basically gets you right back to where you are right now. Junk yard is your best bet...

Tell you what...I was just down at my local U Pull yard for some parts I needed and grabbed a throttle cable off a '99 5.0 for you if you're interested. All kinds of 5.0 Explorers down there right now. One question you had was how it attached to the throttle body linkage. It's simply a push-on fitting...no clips. If yours keeps popping off, the plastic collar that pushes over the little ball stud on the linkage is cracked/broken. You can leave the cruise cable alone and simply remove the throttle cable from the bracket to replace it. Of course, that requires removing three bolts to release the bracket. I can give more details if interested.

XLTrunner - I think I may be interested in that cable you grabbed. I don't see any cracks in my cable fitting but I can easily pop in on off on off on off with little friction. Are you sure there isn't a metal or plastic insert inside the socket? My socket is just a single piece of plastic.

I removed three of them and none had a clip. It was just a tight, snap-on fit over the ball stud. Your plastic end piece is probably wallowed out just enough to not fit tightly. The only clip on that assembly (aside from the plastic housing that holds the two cables together) is used to secure the cruise cable in it's adjusted position.

I believe the only way to communicate privately is by using the "Start a Conversation" option on here. I'll give it a try and let me know if you receive my message.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help. My problem is resolved! Special thanks to XLTrunner for sending me the cable. My old cable was worn out. There is no metal clip inside, the socket is 100% plastic. There is a dimple inside the socket which the ball fitting clicks into. Also there are 'cuts' in the walls of the socket which allow it to expand a little and then snap back closed on the ball fitting. I think once dirt gets inside the socket it gets in the 'cuts' and doesn't allow the socket to close tightly on the ball fitting which then damages the socket even more. The replacement cable snapped on VERY firmly. There is no way it will fall off again. I will need to use a trim fastener puller if I ever want to remove it. Replacing the cable is pretty easy. Thanks again for the help!

Back