• Register Today It's free!

1999 eb, rear shocks squeaking...

irishaudi

Reaction score
City, State
ny ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 eddie bauer
Posted before seeking advice on very loud obnoxious squeaking, creaking coming from rear end.
Its pinpointed to both the rear shocks- arc equipped 5.0 awd eddie bauer
If i lie underneath and have someone push up and down on back bumper the noise can be clearly traced to each rear shock.
Is there anyway to lube these shock towers themselves? There appears to be no issue in regards ride quality, the shocks are soild and no leaks, the arc system kicks in every once in a while as normal.
If replacement is only option to rid my self of this horrible embarrassing noise, i see monroe 40006/7 are direct replacement?
And in regards replacement is the airline simply pulled out and pushed into new shock? Does system have to be purged of air before removing the airline from shock?
Apologies for long post, but im at my wits end with this noise now lol.
Any help greatly appreciated guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Might just be the bushings. Spray some penetrating oil into the heavy then retest. If the problem goes away (temporarily) then it's the bushings.

Might just be the bushings. Spray some penetrating oil into the heavy then retest. If the problem goes away (temporarily) then it's the bushings.

Lol thanks Gtmountain, i sprayed the whole rear end yeaterday with a can of silicon spray, all bushings and links, sway bar etc, but to no avail, lying nder the car i can see the shock retract up and down and squeak, there is a rubber bushing/grommet half way up the shock tube, underneath the dust shield, could i push a straw tip up through this and spray or is this an actually seal i wounder?!

^ Don't understand your question, "or is this an actual seal". Whether it is or not, spraying silicone on it could only help or make no difference. Penetrating oil on the other hand, might pinpoint the squeak but if the rubber isn't compatible it may break it down some.

Then again if these are the original shocks, they may be due for replacement. I'm a little surprised that they didn't rust out in all this time, in NY. Some people opt to just switch to regular socks. Cheaper, but the ride isn't quite as smooth (as new, hard to say what your ride is like if they're now 18 years old).

I'm surprised your air shocks are still working. I'd say if they are the source of the squeek, they're worn out, and not giving you the ride they're supposed to. The other possibility are the leaf bushings, but you seem to have ruled that out..?...

My friend (who had a 98 Limited with the air ride), ended up putting in regular shocks, (but not socks)

New shocks do wonders for these trucks, my 01 Eddie Bauer is a southern truck since new, and it rode just plain awful and was bouncy seeming, put a midrange set of shocks on it, problem solved.

Problem in the end was the spring leafs, gave them a good clean and applied a coating of oil to packs and eliminated all squeaking. Thanks for all help and advice

The ARC shocks are still available, for a while until the supply is gone. I suggest buying a new pair, given the age they should need it. Air leaks are what destroy the ARC system, do your best to maintain things.

New shocks is the best answer to help it survive. Lubricating the air line connections and especially the height sensor joints, that's very important. Those parts are long obsolete now, used is all you'll find.

I don't have any ARC equipped vehicles, but it's unusual for a shock to "squeak" even an air shock. I guess they could be the source of your noise, but it might also be that the shock bushings are squeaking and not the shock itself. I've isolated rear suspension squeaks to a worn/dry rear sway bar end link bushing. Cleaned and lubed the bushing to stopped the noise, but eventually installed new end-link bushings. I've also had noises coming from my 5th shock (AKA the rear axle damper). Not exactly what I'd call a squeak, more of a groan, but definitely related to the rear suspension. Replaced the 5th shock to fix it.

Back