1999 Ford Explorer 4.0 SOHC swap to 4.0 OHV | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Ford Explorer 4.0 SOHC swap to 4.0 OHV

Driveshaft & thread

Since your Sport is shorter than the 4 door models that came with the V8/4R70W you will need a shorter driveshaft. I don't know if the front U joint is any different on the V8 driveshafts vs the V6 driveshafts. Also, there may be differences in the rear axle (traction rod) and the transfer case to consider.

I suggest that you start a new thread with a title containing SOHC to V8 swap to draw the attention of those with related experience.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

simple pimple

find a 99-01 Explorer 5.0L with lowish miles

either 2wd or AWD depending on your truck, buy the whole vehicle

park them next to each other and BOLT the entire V8 drivetrain, wiring, transmission, everything into your 99 sport

You will have to modify the exhaust and rear driveshaft a little bit, thats it!

BLAMO V8 sport

simple pimple

find a 99-01 Explorer 5.0L with lowish miles

either 2wd or AWD depending on your truck, buy the whole vehicle

park them next to each other and BOLT the entire V8 drivetrain, wiring, transmission, everything into your 99 sport

You will have to modify the exhaust and rear driveshaft a little bit, thats it!

BLAMO V8 sport

Could this possibly be done in a driveway? I keep hearing from people it's too much work. I know enough that I can pull it off (my pap is a mechanic, so this stuff is pretty easy for me to understand and do) and I like challenges.

Just wanted to see what you guys had to say...

it could be done in a 3 day weekend if you are good at this sort of thing and know what you are getting into... but I would plan a bit more time then that and plan to run into some problems and spend some $$$

make a timeline and a budget, then DOUBLE IT

because your truck is a 1999 and they made a 1999 with a 5.0L V8 its a bolt in conversion 100%, as long as you have all the parts, can modify the exhaust when its all bolted in and can get a rear driveshaft modified, you should be golden!

it can be done in a driveway, for sure? I did mine in a barn with 3' of snow on the ground

it could be done in a 3 day weekend if you are good at this sort of thing and know what you are getting into... but I would plan a bit more time then that and plan to run into some problems and spend some $$$

make a timeline and a budget, then DOUBLE IT

because your truck is a 1999 and they made a 1999 with a 5.0L V8 its a bolt in conversion 100%, as long as you have all the parts, can modify the exhaust when its all bolted in and can get a rear driveshaft modified, you should be golden!

it can be done in a driveway, for sure? I did mine in a barn with 3' of snow on the ground

Alright thats what I wanted to hear. I have the tools but I need to buy a 2 Ton Harbor Freight Engine Crane. My dad had a good one but it got stolen, grr.

I won't need an engine stand because ill just set the old engine in a tire, and then transfer the V8 to mine :D.

I'll work on planning everything out. Because of the rear driveshaft having to be shortened does that mean my t-case is going to be pushed back? What about my front driveshaft? Will it have to be lengthened?

this cant be a serious thread.....

bypass PATS

Has anyone figured out a way to bypass the PATS system yet?

My 99 Sport:
99Explorer.jpg

yes!!!! i recently had to do it for a motor swap all tho it cost me 325 it also gave me around 30 hp doing it i sent my computer to juan at juanco and he reprogrammed my computer and wipped out my sensors i didnt need and no i hav e to run 91 octane and its not smogg legal just for desert use but he can just wipe out the pats if you want but its the same price either way so i pretty much wanted the power to truck started right up once i plugged computer back in

I'm doing a ohv swap from a 2000 into a 2001 sohc. I checked 9 sohc engines yesterday at pull a part Nashville and all were bad (I decided then and there no sohc engines for me. I'm removing the engine compartment wiring harness firewall and fuse block forward from a 2000 ohv x engine including anti-lock brake and transmission wiring and pcm. I've learned on the drivers door under TR it gives the transmission a letter in my case it is a D on both vehicles. I own 4 Explorers one with 600,000 on original bottom end so it has seen it's share of transmissions it's a 96 sport trans letter T. I'm going to learn to do this simply because I get at least one call a week from someone who has lost a timing chain in a sohc application. Why would the key need flashed???????????? should I install the ingition from the pcm I'm using with it's original key? One retired ford mechanic and some mazda racing boys are consulting me. The racing boys are putting sohc engines in mazda trucks they are doing the opposite of what I'm doing they clued me in on the wiring harness swap. The ford mechanic it used to flashing the pcm. Thanks SteFin ps I'll keep you updated.

/Begin_SoapBox

I am not one who replies to dead threads, but I need to chime in to save anyone else that reads this and is considering a swap of this, um, degree..

First...While I will always have an affection for the OHV, it is not without it's flaws. The bottom end is good, yes, but the headaches of maintaining one and looking out for tale-tale cooling issues can be overwhelming to say the least. Work horse it is...race horse it is not.

The SOHC is leaps and bounds better overall vs the OHV. And yes, this is even with the timing components that fail. It's based off the OHV, has more power and torque in the same range, and is so much smoother. And guess what, I just did a complete timing job on a SOHC for the first time. It's not that bad guys. But for the original poster, let me throw this out there (hypothetically)

Option 1 - Swapping in a good OHV
Engine Cost - $250 (roughly)
PCM - $50
Wiring harness - $50
reprogram PATS - $75
Reworked exhaust - $150
Fluids, gaskets, shop supplies, misc - $200
engine hoist - $150
Rough Total = $925
And thats the basics. Now..

Option 2 - Repairing SOHC
Timing Components - $280
Timing Cam Tools (tool loaner program) - $0.00
Fluids, gaskets, shop supplies, misc - $200
Rough Total = $480

So for a tad under $450 less, you get to keep your original motor and not have to modify anything else in the vehicle, which will always help with reliability. Plus, you install the upgraded timing components and guess what, they dont fail. Again, Im sure the OP has either already completed his project and didnt say anything, got discouraged, or disappeared, but alas, there it is. And trust me, a novice can time these motors with the proper tools. It's not difficult at all. I love my SOHC and my OHV both, but the SOHC will win everytime when it comes to durability, longetivity, reliability, and endurence.

As far as PATS, there is no bypass for it. You can do two things with PATS:
1) Reprogram it with the proper tools
2) Send the PCM off to be modified to delete PATS

There is no way to modify the wiring to make PATS behave in a way you want. If there is, please PM me, I want to know.

And message centers...while yes, they were only offered on higher trim packages (eddie bauer, limiteds, some mounties) the motor in which they reside didnt matter nor was exclusive to the message centers. They could be had with the OHV, SOHC, and 5.0. it was just a matter if the wiring for it was in place or not. Even non-MC pcm's output the DOL signal (Fuel Flow Output) on a pin with no wire.

Anyway, to those who read this thread to its end, please read this post and consider whether or not you really wanna do this head ache. Thanks for listening

/End_SoapBox

For me the cost of doing business
Option 1 - Swapping in a good OHV
Engine Cost - $250 (roughly) I have the engine out and complete from my 2000 donor vehicle (like i said I own 4 explorers) cost -O-
PCM - $50 Pull a part or LKq $15.00 (check pull a part pricing)
Wiring harness - $50 pull a part 15.75
reprogram PATS - $75
Reworked exhaust - $150 2000 sport ohv 2001 sport are the same
Fluids, gaskets, shop supplies, misc - $200 2 gallon antifreeze amsoil tranny and engine dealer cost 90.00
engine hoist - $150 A frame I've had for 30 years -0-
Rough Total = $925 250.00 I'll pull it off for under 200.00 Like I said before my retired Ford Mechanic will steer me clear of going over the cliff plus I think I need to video this. I 'm always looking to save money on the down low. Maybe I'll say uncle and rebuild the SOHC motor I've done made just fabercated a lot of the tools the valve spring compressor I found an old sunnen tool does same thing, large hose clamps and a flat piece of steel will lock the crank, thin shim of lead lock the cams, string and plum bobs of nails on the timming marks. WHERE CAN YOU RENT THESE TOOLS? I TOOK NOTE OF THE NEW TIMMING CHAIN ASSESSORIES ARE BULLET PROOF. iF i COULD GO BUY A WRECKED SOHC VEHICLE WHERE I COULD TEST THE ENGINE. AFTER TESTING 9 SOHC ENGINES YESTERDAY AT N'VILLE PULL A PART ITS DISHEARTNING ALL WERE BAD. i appreciate everyone veiw and please give me yours it's I've been saddled with this SOHC 2001 since July I've turned it over and over any thoughts will be appreciated. I wouldn't start this sohc to ohv exchange without two donor vehicles and a 3rd complete wiring harness and both computors both ignition swithches and both fuel tanks and pumps. SteFin
And thats the basics. Now..

I don't get it. How can you get an OHV cheaper than a timing set for a SOHC?
I just bought a timing set for $93 and saw another set for $79.
Fit those parts, replace the engine and it's guaranteed to work as specified and the new parts are better than the original so you won't have the problem again.

I can't see you doing the OHV any cheaper especially with the tools you're talking about buying and having to redo the exhaust.

This thread brings up what I have been thinking about, sort of. And that is what to do with our 99 when it finally has had enough. Ever since getting rid of my 83 Ranger that I put a 302 in it I have wanted to build another one. But I have been thinking about swapping an LS into my current project, when I get back to working on it. Wonder how much of a nightmare it would be to put an LS in an Explorer? A buddy used to build trucks & he did a TTB Ranger (with a D44 front end) with an LS.....While I am sure the gem will no longer function, which no doubt will result in a whole crap load of wiring that is not of a major concern. What is for me is will the LS physically fit? What about a t-case behind say a 4l60? Perhaps I am just suffering from sleep deprivation? Sorry for the hi-jack....

gotta wonder if the front springs can handle the extra weight of a v-8 too?

Pulled a transmission 4x4 out of a 2000 Eplorer x motor 4 door. Sold it to someone who just installed in a 98 4x4 x motor 4 door it's not shifting correctly. We both drove it in the 2000 and it shifted perfect. Any ideals? Any one else seen this movie? SteFin it's a good friend want to fix this even if I have to go to Pull a Part and pull a 98 4x4 tranny.

Lets revive this thread. its 2017. More options availavle?
Im doing the swap to a SOHC but now im thinking if SOHV can do wonders. I see alot of performance upgrades.
anyone?

99 ohv 4.0 v6 with trans I put into my 2002 explorer had a sohc 4.0 v6 whitch harnness do I go with all so fuel rail different if at all possible never done this before have no choice please need some info to get me to higher ground will needs to be done thanks kev salt lake city

Back