1999 Mercury Mountaineer rear lift gate will not open | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Mercury Mountaineer rear lift gate will not open

Status
Not open for further replies.

thunderfoot4too

Reaction score
City, State
Bear DE
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mountaineer
I'm looking for a way to open the rear lift gate on my truck, there is no tension on the release handle, and the rear window will not open either. I've tried pulling on it, pushing on it, having another turn the key while trying to open it, locked and unlocked the doors and nothing. ANY SUGGESTIONS??

Sounds like my problem

I have a somewhat similar issue with my rear liftgate, basically I have to pound on the button that pops the glass to finally get it to pop. Then to lift the gate I have to hold the button on unlock and then I can get the gate to pop. Then of course I have to close the glass again to make sure I don't break anything. Something on the long list of things that I'd like to fix, but tolerate because there are plenty of more expensive things I need to fix. Hopefully that's a little help. If you're wanting it to work right, you'll have to pop the gate apart and fix that whatever's broken in there.

With a little research further into the forum I found this is a pretty common problem. Same resolution to fix it. WD-40. Believe it or not it worked. I can finally open the rear gate and window. Pop the plugs at the top of the inside panel and soak the release springs in WD-40, slip the straw into (the straw from the sprayer) into the key hole and give it a good soak. Let it sit and do it again depending how bad the stick is, mine wouldn't open at all. Turn the key a few times and you should be good to go. Surprised me that it could be that simple.

welcome aboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back