1. for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

1999 Mercury Mountaineer rear lift gate will not open

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by thunderfoot4too, October 1, 2008.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.
    1. thunderfoot4too

thunderfoot4too New Member

City, State:
      Bear DE
      Year and Model:
      1999 Mountaineer
      I'm looking for a way to open the rear lift gate on my truck, there is no tension on the release handle, and the rear window will not open either. I've tried pulling on it, pushing on it, having another turn the key while trying to open it, locked and unlocked the doors and nothing. ANY SUGGESTIONS??

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. heathmo

heathmo Active Member

City, State:
      Davenport, IA
      Year and Model:
      '99 Sport
      Sounds like my problem

I have a somewhat similar issue with my rear liftgate, basically I have to pound on the button that pops the glass to finally get it to pop. Then to lift the gate I have to hold the button on unlock and then I can get the gate to pop. Then of course I have to close the glass again to make sure I don't break anything. Something on the long list of things that I'd like to fix, but tolerate because there are plenty of more expensive things I need to fix. Hopefully that's a little help. If you're wanting it to work right, you'll have to pop the gate apart and fix that whatever's broken in there.

4. thunderfoot4too

thunderfoot4too New Member

City, State:
      Bear DE
      Year and Model:
      1999 Mountaineer
      With a little research further into the forum I found this is a pretty common problem. Same resolution to fix it. WD-40. Believe it or not it worked. I can finally open the rear gate and window. Pop the plugs at the top of the inside panel and soak the release springs in WD-40, slip the straw into (the straw from the sprayer) into the key hole and give it a good soak. Let it sit and do it again depending how bad the stick is, mine wouldn't open at all. Turn the key a few times and you should be good to go. Surprised me that it could be that simple.

5. Sams01XplrSprt

Sams01XplrSprt Southern Cali Explorer

City, State:
      Newport Beach California & Bay Area California
      Year and Model:
      2001 Sport (sold)
      welcome aboard

Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.