1999 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD Build Thread | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD Build Thread

I all I can say is wow. :)

Now being in the hydraulic hose business for close to 15 years,
the 90 degree bend on the hose make me cringe.
A lot of times for packaging reasons we have to run 90's, it's not just FOA, Fox and King also offer them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A lot of times for packaging reasons we have to run 90's, it's not just FOA, Fox and King also offer them.
It's not the coupling that bothers me. It's the 90 degree bend in the hose that comes of the 90 degree coupling.

It looks like it is stressed.

It's not the coupling that bothers me. It's the 90 degree bend in the hose that comes of the 90 degree coupling.

It looks like it is stressed.
Oh no it is just the angle of the picture, it's fine.

Sorry I haven't posted an update in a while, a lot of stuff going on. The painter flaked on me so I'm part of the "white fender crew" for a while. I'm going to get pics of it on Monday with some scenery instead of just driveway pics. Hopefully the weather cooperates.

Now I have to fix the speedo, it's about 10 mph off on the highway, other than that it drives like a dream. Having a coil-over shock and bypass shock in front helps a lot.

I think I'm going to have to get the bedsides from McNeil Fiberglass to get more clearance. I really like the low stance it has, and with the stock wheel well openings I just stuff the tires. With the McNeil 'glass I can open up and make more room, giving me more bump travel.

Hopefully I can get some good pics on Monday and I'll post them.

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving! I was able to get a few shots over the weekend. The fenders are still not painted, but fortunately the gel coat is white and kind of matches...
Also still have not finished the 4-link set up in the rear. We modified the factory leafs and welded in a custom upper shock mount and added some FOA shocks out back for now.
20171125_150118.jpg

20171125_150653.jpg

20171125_150614.jpg

20171125_150231.jpg

Let me know what you all think of the build so far. Any suggestions you might have would be great!!!

Looks great. How does everything work? How much of a lift did you get?
I'm still taking it easy because of the rear. I don't want to stuff the tires into the fender wells. Other than that it feels great. Even being an AWD model the slow crawling is effortless, and I've not had a tire slip yet.

I think I'm going to need to get the rear fiberglass from McNeil Racing so I can cut the wheel wells up and make more room. I am definitely loosing bump travel.

That is good to hear. Yeah I tool my EX up in the mountains. Very easy trail but was up there and she was able to crawl pretty good. Didn't take anything really that difficult but she did awesome being AWD. I really can not wait to get her true 4x4. But in Time. Look forward to seeing more of your Build.

That is good to hear. Yeah I tool my EX up in the mountains. Very easy trail but was up there and she was able to crawl pretty good. Didn't take anything really that difficult but she did awesome being AWD. I really can not wait to get her true 4x4. But in Time. Look forward to seeing more of your Build.

Ya I'd like to have a true transfer case but it'll be a while before that happens.

I like it, that suspension is great. I wish I needed the wider stance for mine, but mine are street plain stuff only. Keep at it, we love seeing it.

Took a few more pics. This thing is so much fun to drive. I built a 96 2WD V6 before, but this thing is so much better. I know a lot of people hate the AWD but it's also nice driving off the road and not even having to think about it.
DSC05572.jpg

DSC05590.jpg

DSC05599.jpg

DSC05632.jpg

Very nice. Those pictures bring up a thought I had long ago, can the back accept any kind of flare of the fender? I'd like to be able to bring out the sheet metal from behind the rear doors, just a little, maybe an inch at most, gradually to not look odd at the door opening.

You could use that for your wider stance, I've got wheels that offset out more also, and another idea that could add another 3/4" on mine. I won't drill holes in my doors again, or the body for flares. I'm okay with that on my mail truck, but not my best one.

Very nice. Those pictures bring up a thought I had long ago, can the back accept any kind of flare of the fender? I'd like to be able to bring out the sheet metal from behind the rear doors, just a little, maybe an inch at most, gradually to not look odd at the door opening.

You could use that for your wider stance, I've got wheels that offset out more also, and another idea that could add another 3/4" on mine. I won't drill holes in my doors again, or the body for flares. I'm okay with that on my mail truck, but not my best one.

There isn't much room in that section by the door opening, I'm not sure if you could flare that area out.

Get a set of rear flares and cut and modify the opening for the door...I think that would look great..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back