2.0 eco rattle

Capt. K-9

Reaction score
City, State
Hollywood, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer
2013 explorer 2.0L eco FWD

We picked up our explorer in July 2012, fresh out of the factory. We still really like the car despite the lack luster performance of the 2.0 engine. About a year ago (95,000miles) a rattle (like a stone in a heat shield) began. A quick visual, found nothing, no loose shields, stones or other obvious fault. I could not pinpoint the source, but it was coming from the area of the Turbo. Shortly thereafter we got a hard engine code for low boost pressure. I reset the code and ran a diagnostic during a test drive with a system reader where I could monitor the turbo boost in real time. All pressures appeared within range, both high and low boost were acceptable. The turbo is functioning as advertised.

With a stethoscope I attempted to isolate the rattle, value train wasn't the source (thought it did not sound great) but could not find the exact location. It appears to be coming from the turbo but I could not get that deep with the tools I had.

Now the car is at 110000 miles, the rattle has not gone away nor gotten worse. The code has not re-appeared, and there are no new codes. Performance has not changed (still sucks) don't want to shot gun the turbo if it may be a simple solenoid, but I have to make the noise stop. Momma is starting to talk trade in... can't afford that either (just paid it off).

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree with the trade-in. I can't believe they used the 2.0 L in the explorer. I have the 2.3 L ecoboost and it runs very well. The 2.0 had to be too small for the Explorer.

I assume you can hear the noise when idling, correct?
Does it change pitch/volume or go away at different RPM or under certain situations?
With the low boost pressure, possible you have a loose clamp somewhere...but that wouldn't go away by itself, I would expect the code to return.

I agree with the trade-in. I can't believe they used the 2.0 L in the explorer. I have the 2.3 L ecoboost and it runs very well. The 2.0 had to be too small for the Explorer.

Just got a “told you so”. Thanks

I assume you can hear the noise when idling, correct?
Does it change pitch/volume or go away at different RPM or under certain situations?
With the low boost pressure, possible you have a loose clamp somewhere...but that wouldn't go away by itself, I would expect the code to return.

Yes the pitch changes consistent with vibration

Worst at idle.

It also comes and goes, like yesterday I had it up on a lift with a better stethoscope and I could not get it to rattle at all (changing RMP and taking it in and out of gear

However, on the exhaust side of the Turbo housing I could hear something similar to the rattle only faint. Nothing from the cold side. The further down the exhaust to less I could hear.

The system has never been opened and I could find no loose clamps or heat shields.

Hello. So I have a 2013 2.0L. Had a rattle for awhile and also thought probably shield or something. Was mostly on cold starts and would go away after about 30 sec to a minute. Could also hear it while driving and letting off the gas with windows down. Popped a A0299 code after a long highway trip. Long story short the rattling was the waste gate valve on the turbo steadily going bad to the point of it not functioning properly. The valve arm/push rod was moving as it should but the valve/ arm and cover had so much play in it that caused a loud fast rattling and lack of boost. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble but if you have a really annoying rattle on start up and while driving...chances are. Also, fyi new turbo installed..... rattling and underboost gone completely.!

Hello. So I have a 2013 2.0L. Had a rattle for awhile and also thought probably shield or something. Was mostly on cold starts and would go away after about 30 sec to a minute. Could also hear it while driving and letting off the gas with windows down. Popped a A0299 code after a long highway trip. Long story short the rattling was the waste gate valve on the turbo steadily going bad to the point of it not functioning properly. The valve arm/push rod was moving as it should but the valve/ arm and cover had so much play in it that caused a loud fast rattling and lack of boost. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble but if you have a really annoying rattle on start up and while driving...chances are. Also, fyi new turbo installed..... rattling and underboost gone completely.!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Exactly what I thought it was but Ford tech wanted to change a Bunche of emissions sensors and retest (there were codes). But nothing made sense so to told my wife to live with it

That did not go well.

I take it the valve was beyond repair? Didyou install the new turbo yourself? Was it new or rebuilt?

I am considering taking a couple days off and doing it myself as Ford wants a fortune I found one on line for a lot less than the motor craft part but the job looks like a real sob

Thoughts anyone?

Unfortunately the Wastegate arm/valve is not a part that can be ordered. Only the solenoid can be replaced. It's not to horrible to change but it's not fun either. If you have friends who rebuild turbochargers maybe could have it overhauled but have to order a whole new turbocharger from Ford. At least it comes with a 2year warranty. Shop around and do your homework as you know the crooks at Ford will try and retire off you! I bought mine through a friend who owns a repair business and had an account with Ford dealer and was able to get %20 off for 750 + tax (that's after core turn in -$250) so a G out the gate. I'll try and post a picture tonight of the old one tonight and the problem with it for information purposes as I just changed it last night. Hope it helps

Ordered the turbo and all the lines and gaskets plan to swap it next week. I bet dinner the waste gate has the same issues....

Appreciate the info and will post the findings and results

Copy that. Once swapped the rattle should be non existent. My explorer is scooting just fine now with no noise. Actually it has more power since the old one was working only at 75%ish. Look for oil in the hoses too...another sign turbo was going out. Let me know what your findings are....

Put up a video of what I found wrong with my turbocharger

Although I don't own an engine with turbo you deserve a huge thank you for those who do own turbos. As I've mentioned in previous posts I owned probably a first generation '79 Ford 2.3L turbo engine where the turbo failed at about 50,000 miles like clockwork. What I recall is the rattling noise coupled with loss of power and more smoke than normal coming out of the exhaust during a hard acceleration, maybe classic symptoms of a turbo failing.

What's sad is that some auto manufacturers sell turbocharged engines with the caveat that they save fuel, but with one blown out turbo I'm not sure there is any monetary savings associated with increased gas mileage and maybe even more costly than if the engine was not turbocharged and achieved less MPG. With that said, I do believe there have been many improvements and hope that those who do own Explorers with turbos do not have problems with them, but statistically there will always be a few. From my past experience I will never own a turbo again. If I want power, I'll buy a vehicle with an engine that has larger displacement.

So I’m an hour into the turbo swap... needed to pull the axle to gain access only to find the shaft support bracket busted.. seal blown. Praying the trans is ok.

Turbo is going to be a ***** to get out...not even sure I can gain enough access with the engine installed... more to follow

6F35 trans takes 9 quarts of LV fluid? That is what the manual calls out... does that sound right?

6F35 trans takes 9 quarts of LV fluid? That is what the manual calls out... does that sound right?
9 qts. is total capacity - a drain and fill will be more like 4.5-5 qts, unless you plan to drain the torque converter.

Guessing that would require pulling the trans. (Torque converter drain). Right?

Doesn’t look bad since the axle is out.

Fluid looked real bad, Ford “flushed” it t 60000 had it drained by a service station at 90000, near 120000 now. Saw a recommendation that 30000 is good overkill. Plan on owning this thing 3 more years, or 200000 which ever comes first

Turbo out!

Couldn’t upload the video... same as yours though... did not have to drop the engine, but did a lot of disassembly. I have 8 hous in this project and likely have 4 more

Thank you all for the help. Pray this works... mama is already pissed that she isn’t getting a new car, and she’s doesn’t believe I know what I’m doing.

Glad to hear you are getting it done.!! Hopefully the new turbo will last longer this go around! My explorer is going strong. It has the rattle for a split second now on start up but I would assume it because the waste gate is open and once pressure is received to the solenoid after a second it closes to produce pressure during compression/expansion. No rattle for minutes and no rattle when letting of the gas while scooting around town...fingers crossed this holds up. 2 year warranty will fly by but oh well. Let me know when done and final outcome.
Semper Fi!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am posting a reply in order to keep this bookmarked and following. I have the death rattle too.

Back