Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2.0 eco rattle

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by Capt. K-9, February 9, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Capt. K-9

Capt. K-9 New Member

City, State:
      Hollywood, MD
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2013 Ford Explorer
      2013 explorer 2.0L eco FWD

We picked up our explorer in July 2012, fresh out of the factory. We still really like the car despite the lack luster performance of the 2.0 engine. About a year ago (95,000miles) a rattle (like a stone in a heat shield) began. A quick visual, found nothing, no loose shields, stones or other obvious fault. I could not pinpoint the source, but it was coming from the area of the Turbo. Shortly thereafter we got a hard engine code for low boost pressure. I reset the code and ran a diagnostic during a test drive with a system reader where I could monitor the turbo boost in real time. All pressures appeared within range, both high and low boost were acceptable. The turbo is functioning as advertised.

With a stethoscope I attempted to isolate the rattle, value train wasn't the source (thought it did not sound great) but could not find the exact location. It appears to be coming from the turbo but I could not get that deep with the tools I had.

Now the car is at 110000 miles, the rattle has not gone away nor gotten worse. The code has not re-appeared, and there are no new codes. Performance has not changed (still sucks) don't want to shot gun the turbo if it may be a simple solenoid, but I have to make the noise stop. Momma is starting to talk trade in... can't afford that either (just paid it off).

Thoughts?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Halwg

Halwg Active Member

City, State:
      WV
      2016 Explorer Base 2.3L E
      I agree with the trade-in. I can't believe they used the 2.0 L in the explorer. I have the 2.3 L ecoboost and it runs very well. The 2.0 had to be too small for the Explorer.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Odrapnew

Odrapnew Active Member

City, State:
      MN
      2014 Explorer Sport
      I assume you can hear the noise when idling, correct?
      Does it change pitch/volume or go away at different RPM or under certain situations?
      With the low boost pressure, possible you have a loose clamp somewhere...but that wouldn't go away by itself, I would expect the code to return.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Capt. K-9

Capt. K-9 New Member

City, State:
      Hollywood, MD
      2013 Ford Explorer

Just got a “told you so”. Thanks

6. Capt. K-9

Capt. K-9 New Member

City, State:
      Hollywood, MD
      2013 Ford Explorer
      Yes the pitch changes consistent with vibration

Worst at idle.

It also comes and goes, like yesterday I had it up on a lift with a better stethoscope and I could not get it to rattle at all (changing RMP and taking it in and out of gear

However, on the exhaust side of the Turbo housing I could hear something similar to the rattle only faint. Nothing from the cold side. The further down the exhaust to less I could hear.

The system has never been opened and I could find no loose clamps or heat shields.