2.0 Ecoboost engine noise when let off throttle | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2.0 Ecoboost engine noise when let off throttle

2013 Explorer Eco with the very same problem.. We have 45k miles and the rattle started roughly 10k miles ago and seems to be getting progressively worse.

It sounds just like a loose heat shield rattle, but I've looked over every heat shield and couldn't find the culprit.

It rattles for the first 1-2 seconds after starting and again (1-2 sec)when you release the throttle. It rattles constantly at highway speeds (with the window rolled down, while driving next to concrete barrier you can hear it).

I've spent the last hour under the car and can't determine the source, but it doesn't sounds like it's "in" the engine. Perhaps something metallic is trapped inside the heat shield??

Before I spend next weekend pulling all accessible the heat shields - anyone have any other trouble shooting methods?

cheers,
Sam

Very similar issue with my 2013 XLT, brought it to the Ford dealer for diagnosis and they determined it was a bad Ecoboost. They suggested not to drive the vehicle as the piece "rattling" could break loose and get sucked into the engine, possibly seizing it. I'd get it checked out and see what the dealership says.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford dealer confirmed my fears..

Bad EcoBoost - (bits rattling around inside)

Over the past few months we've heard another rattle coming from the front right wheel. We didn't notice any deterioration in steering or control, so we didn't rush to have it checked.. To our surprise it seems the axle nut had backed off causing the additional rattle noise and ultimately leading to significant damage to axle and hub..

Hopefully all is covered under the drive train warranty (fingers crossed)..

UPDATE..

All was covered under the 60k DT warranty.

The EcoBoost turbo waste gate had "failed" with parts of it coming in contact with the fan... Dealer replaced the entire unit.

Additionally, the dealer ended up replacing everything from the CV joint out to the axle nut..

Now we're dealing with the dreaded "Shift to park" syndrome..

All of this coupled with the major leak in the roof joints which left many (MANY) gallons of water trapped inside the body panels are making me second guess our first ever Ford purchase..

Possibly experiencing a similar issue?

This is a buzzing noise coming from my 2012 Ford Explorer XLT w/ 2.0L Ecoboost engine. It comes in at the 5 and 7 second mark, right after I rev the engine I bought it about 3 weeks ago (used) with 57K on the odometer. I have not had a chance to take it to the dealership. I just wanted to get some insight from others before I did. I'm hoping someone can give me some idea as to what it might be. Thanks for any info!

Most direct injection turbocharged engines will produce a noise when quickly letting off the throttle. It is the BOV letting the excess pressure bleed off into the intake system.

Most direct injection turbocharged engines will produce a noise when quickly letting off the throttle. It is the BOV letting the excess pressure bleed off into the intake system.

You're so awesome. I greatly appreciate it. I knew I was probably worrying for nothing but, with this being my first Ecoboost experience and the fact it's an unfamiliar used car...I just needed to make sure. Thanks again Lacajun!

I had the same problem with my 13 XLT and it turned out the ecoboost was bad and needed to be replaced, there was something loose and they said if it broke off it could get sucked into the engine effectively seizing it. This was last July, I had to wait almost 6 weeks to get one as they were on nationwide backorder, not sure if the supply has gotten any better this year.

I had the same problem with my 13 XLT and it turned out the ecoboost was bad and needed to be replaced, there was something loose and they said if it broke off it could get sucked into the engine effectively seizing it. This was last July, I had to wait almost 6 weeks to get one as they were on nationwide backorder, not sure if the supply has gotten any better this year.

So you're saying that your '13 XLT was making the SAME EXACT noise as my video above...and it turned out to be a bad Ecoboost? I just need to make sure because it's already headed to the shop for the airbag light staying on. I'll mention this if that's the case. Also, if you don't mind, do you remember how much it costed you to replace it? Thanks!

i had the exact same issue at 50k and took the vehicle in over a dozen times they couldn't figure it out. Turns out it was the wastegate impeller broke loose and Ford replaced the entire turbo. Unfortunately it started happening again at 65k miles on the new turbo and Ford told me to **** off they weren't gonna do anything about it. This is an extremely common issue on the 2.0 ecoboost turbo and no recall or TSB has been issued. Many people have just been stuck paying $2500 to replace the turbo.

i had the exact same issue at 50k and took the vehicle in over a dozen times they couldn't figure it out. Turns out it was the wastegate impeller broke loose and Ford replaced the entire turbo. Unfortunately it started happening again at 65k miles on the new turbo and Ford told me to **** off they weren't gonna do anything about it. This is an extremely common issue on the 2.0 ecoboost turbo and no recall or TSB has been issued. Many people have just been stuck paying $2500 to replace the turbo.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
There have been a few posts about the wastegate sticking and it's not just a 2.0 Ecoboost issue. It affects the 3.5L one s well. Don't recall any other posts about turbos being replaced due to wastegate issues here. If you're out of factory warranty and don't have the ESP, I can see why Ford won't pay for a repair. Even if there was a TSB, they are only 'free' while the vehicle is under warranty.

Peter

Hey all,
I just purchased a 2012 Ford Explorer Limited 80K miles with the 2.0L ecoboost engine. Today we noticed that there is a rattle that comes from the engine on cold start(lasts 5-7 seconds) and then again when you let off the throttle to let it quickly rev back down. Any ideas what that might be?

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
My first guess was that it could be some kind of 'shield'? Heat shield came to mind but it purely a guess.
Please complete your registration by adding the Required/Request "Trim Level" (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it appears in the margin. That can be very useful info to have at times. Thanks.

Peter

sorry to bring up an old post but was there ever a resolution to this? mine sounds exactly like the one in the video even on cold starts at idle.

Turns out the issue was similar to the issue that Led Zepplin faced up above. The car has been at the dealership 4 weeks waiting on a new ecoboost......

What is a new ecoboost. Ecoboost is the name of the motor type. Are you having the motor replaced or just the turbo?

Has anyone Figured out what the ticking noise is? because I have a 2015 it’s doing the exact same thing

I have 2014 XLT with 2.0 Ecoboost that has 5000 miles on it.

Sometimes if I step on the gas pretty good for a few seconds and then let up quickly there is a 1 to 2 second rattle from the engine compartment.

Anyone else heard this noise and is this possibly a "normal" noise from the turbo or this engine?

This is my first turbo vehicle so I have no other experience.

Thanks
If you haven’t figured it out but now it’s your turbocharged it’s very simple to replace but take it out from bottom not top n watch the banjo bolts eBay turbo $200 works so far ... go ahead n check cat as well tools needed are 8mm 10 13 15 n t26 n t 20 hose clamp remover

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you haven’t figured it out but now it’s your turbocharged it’s very simple to replace but take it out from bottom not top n watch the banjo bolts eBay turbo $200 works so far ... go ahead n check cat as well tools needed are 8mm 10 13 15 n t26 n t 20 hose clamp remover
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
That's one long sentence.;)

Peter

Back