2 1/2 ton axles | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2 1/2 ton axles

I thought the whole point of this was to have it flex like mad? Than you need long travel shocks or else you might as well just do it on leafs (which if done right can still flex, I know)

Yeah yours for sure will flex but im not sure i can find some leafs that will be big enough and not stiff....Im not set on coils if i can get it to flex like mad on leafs that sounds like a plan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That totally flew right by you didnt it, im saying if you want to meet the goal you have set which is a good goal for sure then you need to go with links, but you also need to be prepared to drop something in the 6-7k range. I just would hate to see you start this and then halfway through not have the funds to complete it or give up because it costs to much.

Wow that did fly right over lol

It has become more realistic to me that yes i will be spending more than i thought....But with this i can plan to be able to have the extra set in....I need to just sit down and list everything that i can think of then post it up and see if i have missed anything.

Well i expected to hear from usa6x6 by now but they have not called me.....oh well...New info my friends boss has a jeep that has been thrown together on rockwells and he has another set...and they are for sale...with rims,some kind of frame, a divorce transfer (no info on that), and a set of steering arms....all for 1000. the only thing that they know that they need is the rubber boots on the front axle.....the catch is they have the orginal brakes on them so i will have to remove them but thats not a bad deal....having new axles would be great but thats just more than im willing to spend to finish the project correctly...

well i might still look it up anyways...

im making a list of every part and price now and ill post it later to see if i missed anything

thats the same bronco that 97v8 posted lol im looking for more flex than that...

so am i hearing this right? You care more about flexing than wheeling? You dont seem to mention what kind of wheeling you want to do, you keep talking about flex. If you want to be an RTI King then fine...but why Rocks? You can flex just as good with a d44 as you can with Rocks (disregarding the width difference).

If Burns can get a set of 2.5s for $1k, then thats all the more reason to go with the 2.5s.

Plus I think this project is more than just flex and what not, this is about diving into the unknown. I know 2.5s have been done in other forums, but this is probably a first for ExplorerForum - so thumbs up to that :D When I look at the D44 sitting on the front of my Explorer, i yawn - seriously, I yawn and then out of boredom, i take a nap. But lets say that was a 2.5 rockwell, ouuu my eyes would be watering with tears of joy :D I would proably feed that 2.5 some ice cream just to keep it happy.

I understand that Burn's $4k estimate was a little low. But if he gets a pair of 2.5s for $1k, then I think $4k is definitely do-able with links and coils. I for one cant wait to see what comes of this project :D

Hmm, did I miss the part about both rocks for 1k?

Unless you feel like going to IN

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=544966

Ok ill give you the idea of 1k rockwells that i knew of the whole time but it never hit me till today that my friend had told me about a set that his boss has...Poss #66 in case you missed that....includes all the details...they still have them and i need to get into contact with them soon

Quote from IZ

If Burns can get a set of 2.5s for $1k, then thats all the more reason to go with the 2.5s.

Plus I think this project is more than just flex and what not, this is about diving into the unknown. I know 2.5s have been done in other forums, but this is probably a first for ExplorerForum - so thumbs up to that When I look at the D44 sitting on the front of my Explorer, i yawn - seriously, I yawn and then out of boredom, i take a nap. But lets say that was a 2.5 rockwell, ouuu my eyes would be watering with tears of joy I would proably feed that 2.5 some ice cream just to keep it happy.

I dont know everything there is to know here but it is not rocket science...diving into the unknown is great.....its not all about flex but that is very important because of the size of this project...

I understand that Burn's $4k estimate was a little low. But if he gets a pair of 2.5s for $1k, then I think $4k is definitely do-able with links and coils. I for one cant wait to see what comes of this project

Shut your mouth...If i had your sas sitting under mine i would just be running circles around my house...You have a build that should make any J**p owner want to convert...for a while i have seriously been thinking of converting mine to a setup like yours.......:thumbsup:

But with the axles at 1k which i will not actually be spending 1k on them...if i bought that set i could take that frame that comes with the deal and sell it to someone or to scrap....the divorce case will be sold and then ill have a pretty cheap set of axles...

oops, I didn't check that link.
Hey i dont care if you double post...your actually trying to help me out...

if i were you if you are lookin for strenght go with 1 ton. i personally think you loose to much functionallity with 2.5 ton axles what are the benifits really...

if i were you if you are lookin for strenght go with 1 ton. i personally think you loose to much functionallity with 2.5 ton axles what are the benifits really...

Your telling me that you would run a 46inch tire with a 1ton axle....even with the best shafts/joints i dont see a 1ton axle standing up to that pressure...

if that sounds harsh sorry but the whole point of this thread is to talk about building a explorer that is big, usable one the trail/rocks, and performs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could run 46" Baja Claws on a D60 (even though thats pushing it), but no way you could run the 46" Michelin military tires... not on a rock crawler anyway. The mil-spec tires are very very very heavy.

Back