2-3 and 5-OD shudder | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2-3 and 5-OD shudder

BRay09

Reaction score
Hi all. Been chasing this issue around. I have an 03 explorer with 155k on it. Since i have gotten it on the road (just purchased, salvage title from front end damage) i have a 2-3 and 5th into OD shudder. I have been reading on this trans and am looking for possible solutions. I had a fault for gear monitoring for gear 2 (p0732). I have adjusted the band's, dropped the pan and did a fluid and filter change and replaced the servos with modified ones with orings. The first day i thought it was fixed, however i have put some miles on it and still have the same issue. The fluid was not burnt and was still red in color and seems limited to those 2 shifts. I have a snap on solus that i can monitor pids on. Any idea on how to proceed? Or should i proceed? Body is clean and runs great just have these shifting issues.

This was posted in general discussion. Didnt know there was a specific trans sub section

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pulled the solenoid block and did some ohms testing. However, i cannot find online what pins go to what.

Testing pins 1, 4, 5, 6, 11, 14, 15, and 16 to pin 3
1- 5.7
4- 5.2
5- 24.7
6- 25.4
11- 5.2
14- 10.8
15- 24.5
16- 24.8

Pins 2 and 13 is 39.44k ohm at aprox 56*F

Found a chart specifying SSA-D shoud range from 16-45 ohm and TCC should range 9-16 ohm. As previously stated, however, i do not know what pins go to what. Seeing as pins 1, 4 and 11 are all under this, can i assume the solenoid pack is in need of replacement?

Yesterday at 8:48 PMEditDeleteReportTop of Page
+ Qu

Ok found pinouts in a video

1- PCB
2- TFT
3- SOURCE VOLTAGE
4- PCC
5- SSD
6- SSC
11-PCA
12-TFT
14-TCC
15-SSB
16-SSC

So it looks as if my ohms readings are within spec... Guess ill be pulling the valve body unless anyone else has any suggestions on what else i should do at this point

Thanks for the info. Im following this as my trans appears to be doing the same thing including shifting hard when it gets warm.

Theres many threads on various issues with the 5r55 transmissions. Read through a lot of them and took the steps in each thread. My fluid isnt burnt, with no flaky material in the pan, still red in color at 155k so i think it has to be pressure related or electrical...

At this point im contemplating on adding a shift kit to the valve body or replacement valve body altogether and an OEM solenoid pack. Ill wait until some more people with a little more experience on diagnosing these trans post. Im new to it and learning as i go, but im at the point of fix it, or burn it. And id rather fix it without throwing to much more money at it

I think this is a smart move. However, with the known issues of the solenoids and valve body, since i have the pan off again, i should at least inspect/rebuild the valve body... I know the 02 and prior had issues with blown out gaskets and this is an early build 03 model.

Is there a shift kit that addresses common issues with the 03+ valve bodies or anything i should do with it out besides replacing the gaskets?

AA4F56E3-BE90-4257-862A-47B2CA2BA5CD.jpeg
C061EDFE-197C-469A-91A5-3E69D208F99B.jpeg
B391476A-C56C-47B9-B4CD-9BFC2B845B81.jpeg
Gaskets were only issues on the 5R55E. You would have a 5R55W with no dipstick correct ? I have used this kit in some that have some wear in lockup circuit. Most that I vacuum test show good. Might try this kit since you are there. I also change the cooler flow valve line up to be open continually. Also check the external case electrical connector for corrosion. See a lot of that. Good luck!

You are correct, it is the 5R55W. I have checked the connector, hoping to find corrosion lol. Buy none found. I will order this kit and do the TCC solenoid and put it all back together. I will report back when i am finished and see how it goes.

Yes that is a good number.

That is for the solenoid block only. That plate will come with bonded gaskets.
Ford Part No.: 1L2Z-7Z490-AB Plate.

Hey all

Just a little update. I have installed the shift kit and new solenoid pack. I removed all valves from the valve body and cleaned them up and made sure everything moved freely. Got it finished up and driving again. So far i have not had any shuddering and the slight delay into reverse is now gone. It was not bad before, just something i noticed being a tech and picky that it took a little longer to engage. I am doing something that may make or break this thing. I'm pulling a trailer from Columbus to Cleveland, about a 2 hr drive. Its an 8x10 tilt with my 60'' zero turn on it. Of course I'll be driving with OD off. I'll drive it all weekend and will report back if anything happens, good or bad.

Thanks again for everyone's help

Thanks for the update on the repair. Hope it all works out for you. The trip with the trailer shouldn’t be a problem as long as the transmission is functioning properly.

My 5R55S developed slight shudder, not out and out slippage, tach showed no rpms jump, upon shifting into 5th. Shudder got worse when more power applied.

Learned O/D band back-off is different for cars and trucks. When I first loosened locknut, it had 2 turns slack, which is spec for trucks. Cars call for 1-1/2 turns. I re-torqued it, backed off 1-1/2 turns, shudder gone, been maybe almost a year now.

Did I compensate for band wear or what? imp

Imp, what you did was compensated for wear in other areas of the transmission. Automatic transmissions at the basic end is nothing but a controlled leak to apply and release elements. It’s all in timing of one element coming on while another go off. Over the life of the transmission bands and frictions will lose thickness and require more fluid to be pushed into a drum or servo or stroke a valve. The time to release or apply will change and the next element may apply to early or late resulting in a harsh shift, shudder or soft shift. In your case I would suspect that the intermediate band was worn a bit and was releasing before the OD band was fully applied. Also a big factor is the wear in bushings or shafts. There a bushings used for lubrication and sealing and will gain clearance over time. Resulting in fluid pressure or fluid volume not to be sufficient to operate properly. Also you can’t forget the electrical components leaking or resistance change that can slow down application. Lol!

Imp, what you did was compensated for wear in other areas of the transmission. Automatic transmissions at the basic end is nothing but a controlled leak to apply and release elements. It’s all in timing of one element coming on while another go off. Over the life of the transmission bands and frictions will lose thickness and require more fluid to be pushed into a drum or servo or stroke a valve. The time to release or apply will change and the next element may apply to early or late resulting in a harsh shift, shudder or soft shift. In your case I would suspect that the intermediate band was worn a bit and was releasing before the OD band was fully applied. Also a big factor is the wear in bushings or shafts. There a bushings used for lubrication and sealing and will gain clearance over time. Resulting in fluid pressure or fluid volume not to be sufficient to operate properly. Also you can’t forget the electrical components leaking or resistance change that can slow down application. Lol!
Good assessment, thank you! Vehicle has 164K, only work on transmission was solenoid module replace at 120K, TCC solenoid failed. So, pretty good life so far as friction parts go, I think. Undecided how long I'll continue driving it if 5th. begins to slip.......with O/D turned off! imp

What's the verdict? Did your repairs hold so far?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What's the verdict? Did your repairs hold so far?
@Mitchs07explorer
It's been many months now, still shifting into 5th. just fine, even up a very steep, long hill we go up every time driving to Laughlin. Hill is 3/4 mile long, I let 4th. gear reach 3000 rpm, ease off a bit, shifts into 5th. smooth and distinctly. It's been maybe about 3 to 4 thousand miles. imp

Back