• Register Today It's free!

2.3L Performance/mileage gains

JakePSD

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mercury Mountaineer
What kind of things can i do to my 2.3L to give it more power and fuel mileage? I plan on doing a tune up soon with 8mm wires and platinum plugs. What other things can i do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...How many miles on the motor/tranny???

...The 2.3L is not a known power motor...Trying to add power is totally different than fuel economy...

..This makes for some good reading for performance...;)
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/2-3-mustangs/33916-2-3-n-performance-thread.html

...You could always add a turbo...:dunno:
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/2-3-mustangs/20083-2-3-turbo-swap-overview.html

..The 2.3T is a known power motor..

After a few months on their project and their proto-type model, Ford dropped the SVO 2.3T program. It made more power than their V8 5.0 liter Mustangs. The DOHC 2.3 rated at 275hp, while the 5.0s were just hitting the 220hp spot. SVO was then disbanded...but they continued to put the 2.3T's in the Thunderbird until 1988

the only way i know of to add power *and* fuel efficiency to a stock engine effectively, is a turbo.

What about just fuel efficiency? I don't wanna break the bank on this truck, its my work truck basically. I only paid $350 for it.

...What kind of mileage are you getting now, city/highway???

Im gettin about 25-27. Seems the same city and highway. Strangely enough the best tank i ever got was mostly city driving.

Would there be any ill effects by removing the cat? Like would it mess with the computer at all? Or would that be an effective way to get a bit better mileage and a few more ponies.

...Feel free to use the search function for "Cats" as that subject has been covered several times on here...;)

search_EF.gif

...Feel free to use the search function for "Cats" as that subject has been covered several times on here...;)

search_EF.gif

Yeah i know how a search engine works. And on forums its not very good. I can spend an hour searching and maybe find what im looking for exactly, or someone could just tell me and make life easier.

Not tryin to be a dick, but rather than typing that, why not just tell me? If you are just going to tell people to use the search and not answer their questions, why bother even signing into the forum?

BTW, i did use the search. Found a few things and read through a bunch of stuff that doesn't apply to my truck. Wasting my time and still not getting an answer to my question.

I'm guessing that Tbars was in a roundabout way trying to say that every thread about removing or gutting a cat goes downhill fast and ends up locked or deleted.
Since it's illegal in this country, talking about it here discouraged.

:dunno:

I'm guessing that Tbars was in a roundabout way trying to say that every thread about removing or gutting a cat goes downhill fast and ends up locked or deleted.
Since it's illegal in this country, talking about it here discouraged.

:dunno:

^^^That about covers it...:biggthump

..And the fact that I am currently camping in the mountains and I didn't have time to search the threads for you...

...This Forum has probably the most extensive collection of information regarding Ranger Based Vehicles (Rangers, Explorers, Etc.) so the time spent searching on here is well worth the price of admission and is available 24/7 for your convenience while others may be away from their computers...:D

Let me rephrase then. A high flow cat, would this be effective or does the stock cat flow well enough that it would be a waste of money?

Well, assuming yours is the factory original and is over 20 years old, a highflow would flow better, but how much that would increase your power or mileage, I couldn't say. Plus they are not cheap, around the price you paid for the whole truck, so you would have to figure out how many miles of driving would recoup the cost.

What kind of mpgs are you hoping to increase to? What you're getting seems pretty good to me, but I have the 4.0.

my 2 cents: The 2.3L motor is not really ever going to be a "powerful" motor in stock form. I had one in a Mustang years ago and tried my best to add ponies wherever i could. The best bang for your buck is going to be to find a 2.3T and swap the motors out. Getting a donor car is the best route because you'll need the ECU and wiring harness as well. (donor cars: Thunderbird turbo coupes, Merkur XR4Ti, Mustang SVO, though getting an SVO just to pull the motor for a swap would be like buying a house because you want the couch.) Do a google search on the subject and you'll find a ton of info

I didn't really have a goal of how much extra mileage, just kinda thought any would be good. I know its never gonna be a power house, what its got now is ok for what i use it for. Just thought a few more ponies would be fun. For the price of a cat i'll probably just let it go and not mess with it unless it starts plugging up. I'll just put the money into new plugs and wire since i believe they are originals.

I doubt i'll go through the hassle of the turbo swap and all that unless i can find the stuff for next to nothing.

If i ever do a engine swap it will be with a small diesel. Possibly a 4BT cummins or something. The mileage would be awesome with one of those.

Well you could do the same thing that I have done to my friends 89 ranger. Build a cold air intake and put on a electric fan. That frees up a few horse power and some torque witch in turns will help on milage. I will take a pic of the cold air that I built for my friends truck tomorrow and post it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, assuming yours is the factory original and is over 20 years old, a highflow would flow better, but how much that would increase your power or mileage, I couldn't say. Plus they are not cheap, around the price you paid for the whole truck, so you would have to figure out how many miles of driving would recoup the cost.

What kind of mpgs are you hoping to increase to? What you're getting seems pretty good to me, but I have the 4.0.

You can get a Magnaflow universal high flow cat for around $60 from Summit Racing.

The OP is in Ohio. He doesn't need to worry about them high dollar Cali approved cats :p:

Back