• Register Today It's free!

2 Questions about regearing

DaFinksta

Reaction score
City, State
h'burg, va
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
First question: How do I tell what stock gears I have? ('92)
Second: I am going from 31's to 33's...will I need to regear?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1) Door sticker, look under the box labled "Axle", take the code and do a search here
2) Will depend on what the answer is to #1.

If you have 3.27's...yes, regear.
If you have 4.10's (not extremely likely be possible) might be ok without.

Well, I got the 3.27's. I was planning on going with 4.10's when I bought my lift and tires. Where can I buy these new gears?

4wheelparts is a place to start...then just start looking around. I would do a search. You may want to gear lower than 4.10 though ;)

I found two place to buy them...are all differential covers the same size in 1st gens or what size would a 92 be with axle code 42? I could go outside and measure it myself, but it's been raining all day here in Virginia :-/

get the clear cover. i seen one truck on this site that looks awesome and the clear cover makes it look amazing..

i am going to be buying one of them pretty soon.

I need to know what size cover so I know which ring/pinion set to get for my new gears.

any cover for a Ford 8.8 will work (any cover for a mustang, ranger, f150... Anything that has a Ford 8.8)

**** ive seen guys running the IRS cover on their solid axle 8.8 and it works.

with 33"s you might be happier with 4.56 over 4.10

i went from 3.27 to 4.56 and WOW i love it. its pretty close to stock, actually a little above. ~2500 rpm at 65 though. might be kind of high if you do much interstate driving.

4.33 would probably be perfect.

they didnt offer 4.10's in a first gen.

You will indeed need to regear

Creager said:
any cover for a Ford 8.8 will work (any cover for a mustang, ranger, f150... Anything that has a Ford 8.8)

**** ive seen guys running the IRS cover on their solid axle 8.8 and it works.

with 33"s you might be happier with 4.56 over 4.10

i went from 3.27 to 4.56 and WOW i love it. its pretty close to stock, actually a little above. ~2500 rpm at 65 though. might be kind of high if you do much interstate driving.

4.33 would probably be perfect.
the IRS cover works awesome i chopped one up for my truck and ther is one on my friedns truck already also one on another friends stang, it makes it very nice as there is a drain ans a fill hole and you can put a little more fluid in.
as far as regearing go with 4.56s.

I may be wrong, but I believe that the 3.27 case is too small for a 4.1 or 4.56 gear. I belive that you will need a larger differential case, not a big deal. It may even save you some money over trying to install them in the truck.

unclemeat said:
I may be wrong, but I believe that the 3.27 case is too small for a 4.1 or 4.56 gear.

??? Axle spline counts can be different but the diff casing? I have always thought the 8.8 casings were all the same size. I'd like to know...

Not the rear the front differential. All the explorer 8.8 are 31-spline, and will fit a 4.56 gear just fine.

The Rear has no carrier breaks. Infact no Ford axle does, they all use thick gears. Any ratio will work with the stock carrier.

The Dana axles are a different story though.

Go with 4.56. Great for 33's and 35's if you ever want to move up. No carrier break in the 8.8, and all covers are the same. I would advise on getting the gears through the shop who does the install, that way they are liable for the quality of the product.

Back