Dismiss Notice

to owner generated reviews, discussion, tech tips, and more! The #1 Ford Explorer enthusiast resource on the Internet since 1996. We also cover the Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

$200 V8 Project

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by RandomNerd2000, March 3, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. CoalHeat

CoalHeat New Member

City, State:
      Sussex County, NJ
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1998 Explorer XLT
      Sweet truck!!

• Like Like x 1
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. RandomNerd2000

RandomNerd2000 Active Member

City, State:
      South Carolina
      00 5.0, 01 4.0.
      I thought so, I gave $200 for it, it's got 260K miles, was sold as rusted out and needing a fuel pump, but I've been around these enough I knew it was worth three or four times what he wanted, and I jumped right on it, I'd been hunting a V8 Explorer again in a cheaper bracket since last June, and I got right on it.

4. CoalHeat

CoalHeat New Member

City, State:
      Sussex County, NJ
      1998 Explorer XLT
      Amazing truck for $200! Wow

• Like Like x 1
    5. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Ditto, and it looks great for any vehicle 18 years old.

I'd replace the control arms if they need BJ's, the bushings are surely worn a bunch too at this age. I just got four new Moog arms, about $330 total, the better uppers and the only lowers they make.

Check your end links of the sway bar too, up north those break.

6. RandomNerd2000

City, State:
      South Carolina
      00 5.0, 01 4.0.
      I did a full inspection, it hasn't had anything touched in years, the front end has play in the ball joints and the tie rods are sloppy, figured as much, end links are decent still, they're Moog end links, or at least they have the blue bushings and I've always associated that with Moog.

7. RandomNerd2000

City, State:
      South Carolina
      00 5.0, 01 4.0.
      So, I have updates on this, since I'm making progress. Discovered the moon roof leaks, cleared the drains out, think that'll solve that. Decided to tackle doors, passenger door works perfectly now, latch is some stiff still but it's coming along, don't think the actuator has been functional in years. Drivers door has been a total PITA to get decent, the door actuator rivet wouldn't punch out with anything, started with a small punch and ended with air hammer, would NOT budge, so I managed to grind the entire rivet off with a air grinder, hole isn't perfect anymore, but a washer will shim it up perfectly. In other news, the ball joints are the worst I've ever seen, the tie rods aren't winning awards either. Passenger side manifold is cracked, haven't decided if the engine is really worth the swearing it would take to replace that, since I might as well get the EGR tube and such too, also looked at the window, turns out, it wasn't off the track, the brackets that are glued to the bottom of it on each side had come loose, the only thing holding it up was age, I glued them back on and they're still curing out before I give it a try. Questions are, the EGR tube and RH exhaust manifold, off a blown up 98 Explorer, it a direct fit? Other question is, how hard is R/R the hatch? I want a one color truck lol

8. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      The manifolds are a swap, the bolts not breaking in the heads are the big worry. The hatch is very heavy to work with, two people is best. There is very little adjustment for the hinges, be sure to use two that are good(not bent).

• Like Like x 1
    9. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
      Lift-gate:
      2 people, ladder, 2x4's. It's a heavy mother and difficult/clumsy to work with. Consider removing the glass first to eliminate some weight. If you manage to break the glass let me know I have a spare piece. I also have misc lift-gate pieces, wiring and a red lift-gate shell.

10. RandomNerd2000

City, State:
      South Carolina
      00 5.0, 01 4.0.
      I have a good glass, the blue hatch that's on there works perfectly, I even put a key cylinder in it, but it's not white and the one at the JY is and works perfectly, and am going to remove the glass, it's easy enough since I had to put the hinges on the glass on the blue one.

11. Mountinheer

Mountinheer New Member

2001 Mercury Mountaineer
      Just did the rear latch actuator...

I consider many steps in the process to have been done by miracle - as they were physically impossible by man.

12. RandomNerd2000

City, State:
      South Carolina
      00 5.0, 01 4.0.
      So figured I'd update this thread, since a friend asked about it who follows this thread. To start, I haven't sold it, it's becoming my daily when my 01 Eddie B goes under the knife for the V8 swap I'm almost certain I'm gonna do, put the seats in out my 99, so much better than the ripped up seats it had, also put in a radio I got at Walmart with speakers for $40 on clearance, Bluetooth radios certainly are nice, it's a Pioneer, didn't cut the harness either, front end rebuild and hatch are next, then I'm golden to daily it, absolutely love it, reminds me of my 99 a lot and I had no problems liking it as much as I did that truck, even though I still miss that one a lot, also have plans to put 31" MTs on it and maybe put a sub box out a Mach system in there, since I like the sub in my 01 EB a lot.