2000 AWD Xploder from Turbo back to NA | Page 31 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 AWD Xploder from Turbo back to NA

After getting an estimate on how much it would run me to fix up my Xploder with all new exhaust, cold side piping, and a bunch of other stuff done up the "right" way... I've decided to convert my Xploder back to NA form so that I can actually ENJOY the truck before I die of old age.

Anyways... To start it off I ordered up a MAC cold air intake (I do not have the stock intake) and sold my FMS headers on ebay.

I plan on buying a set of torque monster headers in the next week or so but am still up in the air on how I should run my exhaust from a performance "speed" perspective. I do not plan on doing much, if any, off road driving, so am looking for a setup that improves take off and speed for spirited pavement driving that sounds good.

I already have the spare tire removed (and will be keeping it off, I have free towing anyways lol)... What would an optimal setup be with the above in mind and no worry of a spare tire being in the way? True duals (straight pipe off of each header, thru separate mufflers, and out the sides), or a dual exhaust both going into a 2 in 2 out "H" pipe style muffler and then out the sides? Or something else? In all cases I won't be running any cats.

I also plan to re-tune my car since currently it is tuned for the turbo setup which obviously will no longer apply once I rip everything out.

Thank you for any input! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you:shifty_ey lolhow did you come across 3?? I searched for awhile to find mine:(

Well I was a thunderbird nut before I was a explorer nut. Here is a pic of my bird.
IMG_0279.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Nice!

Reminds me of my old 88 Cougar. Weren't they very similar cars back then? :D

Lol looks just like my 93 SHO I just sold, same color and everything. I miss those body styles and years;)

O and the sc model fan should fit just fine.its smaller round and thinner. I also trimmed a 1/2 all the way around mine making it even thinner.it uses a regular Taurus motor which you can get at any store
Obv my rad is different but gives you a idea or look at it;)
fan1_zps3a1e1897.jpg

And regular Taurus fan
Taurus-Fan_zpsd6a3f5d0.jpg

I wonder if I can move my radiator up some to give me additional clearance (and fit in the Mark VIII which is only a quarter or so inch too thick)... Hmmm.

Have you trimmed it at all yet to make it thinner?

Have you trimmed it at all yet to make it thinner?

Yeah but can't really do a ton of trimming to it before you are as thin as the blade/motor thickness I don't think.

I read on a thread on here where you can pull the rubber grommets or some such off the radiator and move it up a half inch or so.. Hmm. If that's so.. And perhaps I can trim a tiny more off the Mark VIII.. And find a better method to mount it, that would be perfect.

Yeah but can't really do a ton of trimming to it before you are as thin as the blade/motor thickness I don't think.

Figured you did.gotcha, I personally have never had one in hand so I honestly don't know how much could be trimmed.

I'm sure you can shim it up or down a bit but would have to make something for the top bolt holes.how many core rad do you have? I know this might sound like a bad idea but if you got a 3-4 core maybe when you buy a new one get a 2 or 3 core, be about a 1/2 thinner and should cool a stock motor just fine.

Figured you did.gotcha, I personally have never had one in hand so I honestly don't know how much could be trimmed.

I'm sure you can shim it up or down a bit but would have to make something for the top bolt holes.how many core rad do you have? I know this might sound like a bad idea but if you got a 3-4 core maybe when you buy a new one get a 2 or 3 core, be about a 1/2 thinner and should cool a stock motor just fine.

I have whatever is the stock size thinner variant Explorer radiator.. I actually just ordered a new one (Spectra) after finding so many smashed fins on my oem one. Should be here tomorrow.

I saw where I can remove since rubber grommet looking things from where radiator bolts in that could save maybe half an inch of space.. I could maybe shave another quarter inch off the Mark VIII fan shroud.

Hmm. Also.. Another idea.. To trim contour fan even more and mount it maybe diagonal across radiator and mounted into the old fan shroud?

What are ppl using to trim the plastic with? I was using drimmel and cutting disc but it sucks and throws hot melted plastic all over me... Lol.

I have whatever is the stock size thinner variant Explorer radiator.. I actually just ordered a new one (Spectra) after finding so many smashed fins on my oem one. Should be here tomorrow.

I saw where I can remove since rubber grommet looking things from where radiator bolts in that could save maybe half an inch of space.. I could maybe shave another quarter inch off the Mark VIII fan shroud.

Hmm. Also.. Another idea.. To trim contour fan even more and mount it maybe diagonal across radiator and mounted into the old fan shroud?

What are ppl using to trim the plastic with? I was using drimmel and cutting disc but it sucks and throws hot melted plastic all over me... Lol.

Lol that's what I used, it sucked.I ended up using a cut off wheel in the grinder and it sucked also:(lol

Ugh. Cannot get my pos radiator out. I got everything disconnected and watched YouTube video on procedure, looked simple, but I cannot slide condenser radiator thing like they say to disengage from radiator.. It came unclipped from the side plastic things that hold condenser to radiator but the driver side radiator clip will not come undone from the stupid plastic thing. Wtf.

There is 2 clips one on each side of the lower side of the radiator. Look at it from the underside of the truck and you should be able see them.

There is 2 clips one on each side of the lower side of the radiator. Look at it from the underside of the truck and you should be able see them.

Buckles? I saw one on the passenger side... I see a slide on clip (that I cannot remove) mid way up on drivers side. Is there a buckle on drivers side like the passenger side as well?

I really fought with a bunch of different fans. The one that was awesome was off a police interceptor, but the shroud was just too strangely shapped to cut it nicely and have a good looking install. Too bad.

On my 5.0 dropdetop had already installed a flexalite 150 (Or a 180, I can't tell). Considering all the fan's I tried, I should have just gone this route on my ohv from the beginning.

My rad looks like the same depth you have. The fan install is very clean, and the plastic straps were used that go thru the fins on the rad to install it. Its been trouble free, and never a hint of overheating. Very professional install.

I'll be curious what happens when I add close to 200 hp though.

Its also strange that all gen2's don't have the same mounting system. My gen2 ohv was super easy to pull the rad. I didn't have any side 'clips', and didn't have to even think about the air conditioner condenser as it was mounted on its own.

Yeah, it is def confusing and a total PITA. The radiator wouldn't be bad and fan mounting would be 10000x easier if it didn't have the metal overhang on the top and bottom... It's as if the metal top and bottom of the radiator is from the thicker style radiator and when they switched to a slimmer radiator the core itself is thinner but the top and bottom metal piece is the original length, thus, you almost have to wedge a fan under and above this overhang :-/

And of course my dremel burns up :-(

OK.. Bought a new dremel.. This one didn't catch fire, hooray!

Chopped the contour dual fan up a lot.. Mounted it directly to the old fan shroud so it's extremely secure (doesn't flex or budge even with physical pressure applied). I mounted it so you can easily remove entire fan shroud and fan combo unit from radiator and also so when mounted it hovers off the radiator without contacting it.

Thoughts on this ghetto design variation?

6e9a2uqe.jpg

a3a5a9yj.jpg

a5yqe6y7.jpg

ena8y4u2.jpg

These are shots on my old radiator that I finally got off by breaking off the pos radiator snaps with a hammer and screwdriver lol.

New radiator hasn't arrived yet and I also have a new condenser coming in tomorrow (no idea the procedure of that install dealing with ac crap).

Yea I don't see the super coupe fan fitting unless you move the radiator twards the front of the truck.

Yea I don't see the super coupe fan fitting unless you move the radiator twards the front of the truck.

Yeah that's why I rigged up the contour fan and will see how that works. Hopefully well, lol.

Idk how much room you have but just went out and checked mine. Mine fan width is about 4 3/4" from the rad to edge of the motor and its mounted on 1/4" rubber strip.so fan width is about 4 1/2" inches, give or take some

Back