Dismiss Notice

to owner generated reviews, discussion, tech tips, and more! The #1 Ford Explorer enthusiast resource on the Internet since 1996. We also cover the Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2000 AWD Xploder from Turbo back to NA

Discussion in 'Need for Speed!' started by willzilla, June 7, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2000 XLT AWD
      I spun both by hand (and every pulley actually) and none made sound at the speed I was able to spin them... I did replace all of my AC system BUT the compressor (and I think they say you should replace compressor when you replace the system but I didn't replace my system because it went bad I did because I ended up ruining my condenser ripping out my radiator lol so I then replaced the dryer, condenser, and orifice filter all together. AC still has not been filled (and has remained off at all times). Is there a good way to narrow sound down more effectively? Maybe a doctor scope thing? Lol.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Yes, a stethoscope is a good tool, parts stores should have some version, and a long screw driver can work for loud enough noises.

Do you have the AC clutch disconnected, since it will run in all positions except VENT and OFF?

4. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      Just found this video Googling around for ticking sound and explorer...

That sounds a LOT like my sound... Hmmm.

5. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      I'm not sure... AC has just been in the OFF position since I put the truck up on stands... Assuming that is correct being the system had not been charged.

6. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      The sound in that video is the AC clutch engaging, which is a clicking noise.

If there isn't any freon from parts being changed, the AC compressor shouldn't come on, the low pressure switch will keep it from running. If some freon has been added, then the compressor might run occasionally. Watch the gauge in that video, when the compressor runs it makes the pressure drop, until the low pressure switch cuts it off. When it's not engaged then the pressure inside equalizes, until it's high enough to have the pressure switch engage it again.

You can watch the AC clutch and see it engage, that's when electricity is allowed to reach it, and it runs the compressor.

7. Dono

Dono V8 Limited turbo and retired SC 4.0 OHV Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      Unplug the compressor.
      If the ac needs to be charged, you shouldn't allow the compressor to run.

Looking at the gauge cycling, it definitely needs some freon of some kind. I just did mine with red-tek. No complaints. You don't need a license to use it, and its environmentally friendlier so you can just dump it to atmosphere if you need get that stupid hard ac line out of the way.

btw, its fantastic to see you finally have your exploder running. I had given up hope.

8. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      Sorry for the confusion on the previous posts... The VIMEO video is not my truck... I just found that googling around for sounds like mine and that was a video that sounded similar (not the clicking of the clutch engaging and disengaging but the constant sound between the clicks).

I did not know that I could unplug the compressor... Oops. Did I damage something having it plugged in for the hour or so it has ran (total time) while AC was off? :-/

I will unplug the compressor (if I can find the plug lol) after work today!

I have a scope coming in the mail tomorrow that I will also use to scope around for sounds/leaks/etc. Also ordered up some cheap MAX brakes (from Canada) that will be here in a couple weeks. $150 for all the rotors and pads and all the reviews I could find they all were pretty good. Kind of weird looking, all black. Plan to also paint the calipers as they look like crap (maybe same blue color I did the 5.0 plate on the top of the engine).

[​IMG]

I have hopes of getting the truck back on the road again as well!! Plus... Wife told me to sell it if it isn't on the road as she is tired of seeing it taking up part of the driveway lol.

I took off the front wheels last night and cleaned up a ton of sitting gunk like webs and a bird nest inside the front bumper lol. Camber bolts still are not tightened but I may just have it towed the cpl miles to the local alignment shop and let them torque down whatever needs tightened as I would need it aligned anyways and a cpl mile tow shouldn't cost a fortune I would think.

9. Dono

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      Don't worry about the compressor being damaged. I'm sure its ok.
      The plug is right on top of the compressor, you can't miss it.

Then you don't have to worry about it coming on. It might even help you troubleshoot.

10. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      Awesome. That will help narrow things down :D Thanks!

11. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      Not related to my Xploder but... My wife just sent me a message that the AC (ugh, AC again lol) in her 2010 e-350 5.4L v8 has been acting up for.. A couple years. The AC would not blow ANY air in the front but back was fine... Would turn the knob off and on a few times and it would work fine.. It would do this occasionally every few weeks or so. Today... She says the AC in the front is not blowing any air at all (back still fine). Does this sound like perhaps the heating/air control head unit (with the knobs and what not on it) itself is perhaps bad (the knob or some such within it that the knob adjusts internally)? Also maybe the blower motor (looks like there is a sep unit for the front and back?) or the blower motor resistor perhaps..

12. Dono

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      Does the front blow any air at all? Even with the air off? If there is no air blowing at all at the front, maybe try checking voltage at the motor (If you can get to it). If there's no voltage at the motor, you know you have to work back to the controls, if there is voltage at the blower motor you know its motor or resistor (If its a part of the motor assembly) Once you locate the blower motor, I'm sure you can work backwards.
      Sounds like you know what your looking for already.

13. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      I'm not sure... She made it sound like no air when heat or ac is selected from the front vents... Back vents work fine for everything. She's not home yet for me to check it out and it will be dark soon so I probably won't get a chance until tomorrow or this weekend.

I unplugged my AC compressor on the Xploder... Started truck up and the sound is still there. Scope arrives tomorrow so I'll use that to determine exact location.

14. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      Got my scope in today... Has 2 configurations, one for mechanical and one for leaks and such.

Tried both configs and... Hard to tell. Mechanical rod I couldn't hear anything anywhere. The leaks one helps magnify the normal audible sound in the air and it SEEMS to point to... The NEW (new as in zero miles on it but installed years ago when I replaced almost all pulleys/tensioner/belt/etc) Gates idler pulley (the smooth top one).. Wtf? I pulled it (pretty much a pro at yanking the damn belt on and off at this point) and free spun it as fast as I could and heard nothing. No wobble or play. Still looks almost new. Sprayed a little dry lube into the bearing and put it back on and the sound is still there tho MAYBE not as much (takes harder revs to bring it back it "feels like").

Does this seem right or are my ears gone insane??

15. shucker1

shucker1 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Metairie, Louisiana
      98 XLT 5.0
      Is it a chirping noise?

Perhaps and old trick I always use for weird belt noises.

With the engine running, just a dash of dry lube on the ribbed side of the belt.

If the chirping noise goes away and then returns, replace the belt.

Just a thought.

16. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      Thanks for the reply! It's hard to explain the sound, lol... I did post a few videos where it can be heard on this post: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-turbo-back-to-na.319010/page-34#post-3629269

The belt is new, as is the idler pulleys (smooth and the ribbed one), and the tensioner pulley as well... Though, when I say new... They all have zero miles on them but I installed them a few years ago and they all still look new.

Though I am def down in trying the quick squirt of dry lube on the belt lol.

17. Dono

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      Did you try taking the belt off and running the motor briefly?
      Might help troubleshoot.

• Like Like x 1
    18. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      Yep. Have taken the belt on and off like 10 times troubleshooting (have it down to a science now HAHA)... No sound with belt off and no pulleys spinning. No sound really when warmed up and idling. Sound when warming up from cold and when revving it. Using scope it "seems" like the sound is coming from my zero mile top Gates smooth idler pulley but hard to really tell even with the scope (zero sound when using the mechanical straight rod extension and placing it on the metal behind the actual pulley on any pulley so I used the vac leak sound extension that I held an inch in front of each pulley and it seems louder in front of that pulley). Pulled the idler pulley off the truck and there was no play, still looks new just about, and spun freely without sound BUT I couldn't replicate spinning it to engine type speeds lol.

19. shucker1

shucker1 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Metairie, Louisiana
      98 XLT 5.0
      Factory Tensioner?

Perhaps it's just getting to weak to keep proper load on the new belt?

20. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      Tensioner is also new... I replaced belt, tensioner, both idler pulleys, all together a few years ago. Truck has zero miles on it since replacing everything... Belt seems tight, no slack/flop/play and I need to ratchet twist the tensioner pretty hard to get belt on and off each time lol

21. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      I ordered a new top idler pulley which should arrive today or tomorrow so I can see if that resolves the sound or not lol.

22. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      There are three idler pulleys on these 302's, the top one and the tensioner pulley are the same. It's not a bad idea to have a spare, these aren't the highest quality looking components. If I was describing most idler pulleys, I'd call them cheap looking, ad definitely not robust. Hopefully you just have a lemon of a new pulley.

23. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      Replaced top idler pulley with a new Gates idler pulley yesterday. The new pulley was a little bit thinner and also slightly smaller in diameter and had black bearings versus the red ones in the pulley that it replaced. I had to pop out the plastic piece that sat inside the pulley center and pull the screw and locking washer out and install everything into the new pulley. Swapped the pulleys, started the truck up, and revved it up a bunch and... NO SOUND. It seems the new pulley has fixed the problem! Only got to mess with it for a few minutes as I had to go out to dinner with the family but I plan to dump the water from my coolant system and replace with coolant in a few days and will run it to full temp then to double check the sound is taken care of. Also just got UPS notice that my new brakes will be here tomorrow.

• Like Like x 2
    24. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Good good, found it.

25. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      Slow week or so... Brakes ready to go in.. Picked up some paint for the calipers... Need to grab some more coolant still. Has been HOT, stormy, and a busy week overall so hadn't got any work done this week. Hopefully this upcoming week I'll get a chance to get some work done.

26. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      What color did you pick for calipers? I chose gold when I was browsing Amazon last week. I got the VHT spray cans, clear also. I'm looking for something for my bigass calipers yet to make fit, which are a raw flat black finish. My current big brakes have SSBC calipers, and those were raw plain AL, I think reselling them painted would be better.