Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2000 AWD Xploder from Turbo back to NA

Discussion in 'Need for Speed!' started by willzilla, June 7, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2000 XLT AWD
      Cool, thank yoU! :D

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      Measured from the ground to the lower control arm bolt and they were pretty much equal, so.. Maybe I'm good to go on the level.

Ran into some issues with my SVT focus yesterday. Went out to eat lunch, hopped out of the car (after shutting the engine off, of course), and noticed the restaurant was closed and hopped back into my car... and... It would not start. Turn the key and NOTHING at all happens. Nothing. Doesn't even attempt to turn over. Nothing. Stuck in a parking lot.

Thankfully my wife works on base with me now and was off base heading to meet me for lunch and I got a ride back to work but my car, a day later, is still stranded in the parking lot (trying not to pay for a tow, ugh).

First thing I did was installing a new clutch starter switch (the plunger that is pushed in when pushing in the clutch) which is a common failure on these cars and it looked worn out. Still wouldn't start.

Swapped around all of the related ignition and starter relays and fuses... Still won't start.

Fixed a very weak ground wire... Notta.

POS starter is super hard to even reach so hopefully it's not the starter that took a crap on me.

Need to check the crankshaft sensor next, tomorrow maybe, as I've heard that is also a possible failure point and need to try and trace the electrical though I believe I could hear the relay click for the starter when turning the key so...

Thankfully the Xploder is running and if I can I will try again to get the alignment done Monday when the shop opens back up. Still need to fill the A/C as well as it is still HOT around here.

4. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Sorry to hear that your car has a problem. It's nice to have a spare car, and/or a wife or friend to help too.

Did you check the main battery cables, connections etc? How old is it again, I start expecting wiring issues after about 15 years? Does it have any hidden fuses, mega fuses etc? Try to be sure it's getting power to the PCM(ground too), as well as the starter etc. I think you have a good grasp of what all can go wrong, you'll find it soon.

5. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      The car (an SVT focus) is a good 15 years old now (2003 model, bought it new in 2002).

Just got it towed back to my house, thankfully USAA insurance policy has roadside assistance that I had completely forgotten about. Will troubleshoot it more in depth when I get a chance. Drove my Xploder 10 miles to meet tow truck driver and followed him and my car back. Truck seems to be driving nicely though I still need the alignment.. Thankfully even with hands off the wheel the truck drives nice and straight with zero shimmy/shake... Actually surprised lol. Will try to get alignment done (3rd attempt now since I started this entire thing lol) tomorrow and also work on the A/C.

6. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      Drove the truck around some more today... Seems to be driving really good. Engine temps are great.

Hoping alignment tomorrow goes smoothly haha.

And need to figure out how to do the A/C job.

Once that's done I can clean up my engine wiring somewhat and also button up the inner splash guards and other plastic pieces.

Noticed my power mirrors are acting up. Driver side power doesn't work (passenger side works fine) and both mirrors don't hold where I set them and move out of position from driving it... Weird.

My passenger side HID light doesn't come on half the time (sometimes comes on when I turn lights on and off a bunch of times)... Planned to replace the HID's anyways as they have been flaky for a long time. Still need grab the black hood cowl piece as well (with the wiper fluid jets) and install my wiper arms and new wiper blades and a new windshield sometime as well..

7. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      • Like Like x 2
    8. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Excellent, those are good specs. Now drive it to keep it happy.

9. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      That's the plan, lol.

Still have a list of things to do as well, lol.

Cleaned up some of the engine wiring a little... Still have more to do.

Put the wheel well fender flaps back in. Still need to install the plastic piece on the top front of the engine and under the radiator and install the 5.0 v8 plate on the top of the intake manifold.

New HIDs as well, plus figure out my mirror issue and a number of other odds and ends lol. But... I'm driving it as my SVTfocus is out of commission for now.

10. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      The mirror is probably the switch or the mirror, hope it's not the door jamb wiring. Get OEM mirrors if you hunt one, even used is better than aftermarket. I have two that are going in the trash, when I get to swapping a pair of used ones for my 99.

11. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      I'm not to worried about the power portion of the driver mirror not working... More concerned why the mirrors move out of position while driving instead of staying set.

12. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      I read that, but how far do they move? I figured you meant slightly, which could be from vibration and looseness of the inner mirror section. They are very reliable, seeing how good they work after 20 years. If one has issues, I'd not fight it, and replace it.

I'm fighting with the rear hatch of my new 98 recently, the right striker keeps breaking apart. I'm fairly sure the past owner caused damage to the hinge from an antenna mounted at the top right. The hatch did fine for many months, and then the original bushing cracked and I replaced both sides. Now the right one has broken three of the parts store replacements. So I've swapped an original one from my Mercury, since it's been perfect always. I bought new hinges, and though the two on the truck appear okay, I think at least the right one is worn, and letting the hatch move too much.

At this age of our vehicles, maintenance is really important, and replacing old parts that never get a thought, is also big.

13. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      They don't seem to move to much... Just annoying. How bad are these to take apart? Maybe just needs a little TLC lol.

Have driven the truck about 80 miles now... Got a check engine light...

- P0430 - Powertrain: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2).
      - P0401 - Powertrain: Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected.

Looks like the system noticed my lack of cats and EGR..?

Truck drives nice. I thought I had disabled checking for the cats in the tune.. Maybe time to re-flash the tune fresh on the system... Eventually need a completely new tune which sucks with Henson gone :-/ His tune took into account my exhaust setup and other mods but not EGR delete (if that can be accounted for in a tune?), intake manifold spacer, and a few other small things.

14. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      I'm not sure how the mirror glass will come off, I've never had to do it or read about it here. If you think it's the internals, I'd see if another whole mirror can be found easily. I think $25 or less will buy any mirror at the local JY.

The EGR can be turned off in the programming for sure.

Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.
    15. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      Cool, thank you! I'll keep eyes open for mirror replacement but will see what I can do and see if repair (or even if I can freeze the mirror position in place manually (wedge something to hold it in place once situated, for example, etc)).

I believe I had my tune disable engine light for cats but had not yet deleted the EGR completely so possible reason why I got one of those codes.

16. Turdle

Turdle I bake stuff Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
      small wedge of black adhesive foam holds the one on our Avalon. Placed there by a toyota dealer of all things---

17. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      Sounds like a nice fix if it comes down to it :D

18. Turdle

Turdle I bake stuff Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
      OH, I might mention even if it is off base-
      When I tried to remove our 5th shock on 1st mounty, wifey complained of Weird road feel and vibrating mirror images. Our roads are kind rough here and have cyclic type surfaces.

Tried it with this mounty with same results.

19. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      Bought a new HID kit, this time from XeonHIDS.com which seemed like a quality place for lighting. Picked up their Bi-Xeon 55w kit with 6k bulbs kit.

Last edited: September 28, 2017
    20. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      Still haven't had a chance to work on the A/C... Had to work yesterday and then got called into work today as well :-/

Had my oil gauge go whacky (bouncing between the high and low stops). I recall this being an issue I had before I took the truck offline. I plan to replace the oil and oil filter and perhaps will swap out the sensor as well.

Gas mileage has been pretty horrible, lol. Like... 250 miles on the entire tank of 93 octane. Perhaps a fresh tune taking into account everything done sometime in the near future will help a little :D I'd be happy with 300 miles on the tank lol.

21. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Run regular if the engine is basically stock, and see if it runs any differently. I've never had an issue with the oil pressure sensor, other than my last one leaking. Those are just an ON/OFF switch though, so the readings should be all or nothing, a normal level, or zero as the pressure drops below a certain point.

22. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      The Henson tune I'm running is for 93 octane... though the tune is now a bit outdated and not taking into account a few of the most recent changes (EGR delete, 1" intake manifold spacer, etc).

I still need to relocate my A/F sensor closing forward before I delve into getting a new tune done by whomever does tunes now (I found who does them a few months back but forgot off the top of my head who it was).

23. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      I just figured for the extra cost of premium, about $.45 a gallon, I'd give regular a try for saving money. I'm going to use premium for my 347 and blower engine, but the 306 I'm planning will use regular. Gas used to be about $.20 more for premium, now it's a lot more.

24. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      Ya.. I never planned the explorer to be a daily driver but now I may ask for an 87 and a 93 tune when I have tune redone lol. Same some money.

25. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      Got my new HID kit in... Quite nice quality. Hopefully lasts a while once I install it (hopefully this weekend).

I've noticed my engine compartment gets quite warm... Hood too.. Is this normal? My engine temps, as per the temp gauge, are very good (well below half mark), but the ambient temp within the compartment and even the hood is quite warm to the touch. Side effect of the headers that I forgot about?

This is high as engine temps get displayed on gauge..

[​IMG]

Last edited: October 5, 2017
    26. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      Have been driving the Xploder the past few weeks to/from work.

Did some work on the truck today and some more... challenges :-/

It seems one of my electric fans is hitting something (not the radiator).. Got dark so couldn't troubleshoot it but it seems something fell down into the fan unit and is sitting on the bottom clipping the fan a bit.

Even worse though... coolant leak is back. Same area as before in the rear. Hard to see what once again but it seems to be around the heater core hose(s) again.. Ugh, wtf.

My SVTf is still down, had not had a chance to work on it so it sucks even more that I'm having issues with the truck.. always something :-/