Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2000 AWD Xploder from Turbo back to NA

Discussion in 'Need for Speed!' started by willzilla, June 7, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2000 XLT AWD
      Cool, thanks for the tip! I will need to do this when I get my AMSOIL transmission fluid in a few weeks.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      Also.. was delving into my old posts and emails and such... For anyone who happens to read this and plans to delete their EGR and are in process of looking for an EGR block off plate... our 5.0 v8s (at least my year 2000) uses the EGR plates that work with the 4.6L v8 in the Mustang GT's of 1996-2004, such as this plate: Mustang 4.6L Billet EGR Block Off delete ford gt crownvic 96-04 w/Gasket 969096G | eBay, and not the EGR block off plate from the 94-95 Mustang GT 5.0L. Our EGR has the single center hole and not the dual holes like the 94-95 Mustang for some reason as it seems most of our stuff is similar to the 94-95 Mustang on most everything else lol :D

4. Turdle

Turdle I bake stuff Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
      I meant to mention I recently saw a cooking syringe kit in the food area of walmart and wish I'd thrown it in the cart.

5. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      Not a ton going on past few weeks... Picked up transmission filter and transmission fluid... Hope to do the fluid change when I get some nice weather and time off :D Also have oil and oil filter and when I do that replace the oil sender sensor thing if I can figure out where it is, haha. Also need to install driver side window regulator.

I've also been stocking up on stuff for the WRX, lol. Picked up some AMSOIL 75w90 sd gear lube and hope to change out the transmission/front diff (shared) and rear diff soon as well.

Added a Cobb big sf intake and a Cobb Accessport v3 and am running an off the shelf tune for now. Picked up a pile of parts for the WRX already and have a baseline e-tune from one of the top WRX tuners alrdy ready to go for when I get everything installed :D

Just installed a Boomba short throw shifter (talk about a pain in the ass process haha), Perrin shift stop, and a 650g weighted shift knob. Shifts are 100x better, insane difference.

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

6. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      It's been quiet over the past few months (well.. since I got my WRX, lol). Have been mostly working on the WRX lately... have the car up on jack stands over the past week doing a good amount of stuff to it and back driving my Explorer in the meantime.. Forgot how nice the Explorer drives after all the work I did with it (thank you everyone for all the help)... Also reminded me of the few things I still need to do with the Explorer, lol.

Once I finish with current mods on my WRX it's back to working on the Explorer...

> Replace transmission fluid (have the fluid and filter in my garage)
      > Change oil and the sender thing
      > Replace driver side window motor (have in garage)
      > Replace windshield (ugh lol)
      > Replace plastic piece under windshield (looks ugly without one lol)
      > Touch up paint in a few spots
      > Fix fender clear coat
      > New tune
      > CLEAN IT lol

I've been busy with the WRX and recently just installed an Invidia catless J-pipe, Invidia r400 exhaust, Perrin turbo oil sump, type n transmission mount, whiteline positive shift kit, Perrin turbo inlet w/nozzle, Grimmspeed 3 port ebcs, and boomba full recirc bypass valve... have in garage to install once weather allows... soku rear diff mount bushing inserts, soku rear sub-frame crossmember bushing lock down spacers, p& lower tgv deletes, p&l lower tgv housings, Perrin pitch stop mount and brace, IAG EGR delete, and then flash my e-tune and datalog/dial in the tune... Not to much to go lol :D It's been fun working on a newer car... LESS RUST! Lol.

Also changed out the shift knob and got the windows tinted (ceramic ctx15 all the way around).. also pulled the emblems off and replaced the side emblem with a matte black one and the rear stuff all off but put just a matte black wrx emblem :D

A few photos..

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

7. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      Has been a busy few weeks. Got all of my WRX mods done for now and just about finished the final tune (9 revisions of the tune so far) and will be good to go. Drives great and sounds amazing. Will be able to get back to work on the Xploder. Have a long list of things to do lol. Maybe will get to start on the list this weekend as time and weather (which looks good!) allows! :D

8. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      Looks like I will be selling my 2010 Ford E-350 XLT Super-Duty. Noticed some noise from the engine... Did some investigating and it seems the timing chain tensioner(s) is on its way out and the chain has some slack and is hitting the cover. Looking at what is involved to replace the timing chain (entire kit) and on the van... total PITA. More work than I want to do or pay someone to do lol.

Carmax offered us like $6k for it (was going to private sell it for something like $8k or so).. bit less than I want but will be good to be rid of it before the van jumps timing before I get around to working on it lol. Wife has only driven it a few times since she got her SMART car lol. She wanted me to sell the Xploder but I said heck no... so.. the van goes lol.

9. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      Van is SOLD. Just spent a good $150 for new hood vent cowls from Tasca... They let me buy them but I have a feeling I will get an email telling me OOPS sorry they don't actually have them and refund me lol.

10. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      Has anyone re-foamed their driver side seat? My left bottom bolster is about gone and I can feel metal when sitting in the chair.. I found a few threads on the forum but all of them had their photos nuked when Photobucket axed all the web linked photos... :-/

11. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      I would check the local JYd's for any good used seats, and then an upholstery shop. I haven't messed with seats myself, so I wish you well to do it yourself. I think there are examples online to work on them but as you mentioned, Photobastards screwed a lot of people.

12. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      I'm going to see if I can repair the seat myself.. Other than the little bit of foam collapse on the left bottom bolster the seat is in perfect shape.

Just got shipping notification for my new hood vent cowls... Hopefully they are the right parts lol. Also have safelite coming to replace my windshield which cost about $200 (use code GLASS20 for $20 off for anyone else who uses safelite).

13. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Sounds good, not too bad to do one bolster.

I've got a friend who's brother said he found a good upholstering shop. I need a pair of old Lincoln seats redone, and two cheap aftermarket seats for my SUV I want improved. We'll see how much trouble it is for some real professional work.

14. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      Looking at some threads if it's just the foam it looks to be pretty simple.. if some of the wire connection pieces are broken it looks like soldering/welding or something would need to be done which looks like a pita lol.

15. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      Got my Xploder windshield replaced (cost about $200 installed) and received my hood cowl vents and they were perfect! Shocked Tasca actually had these lol. Price is a bit high but they are brand new with nozzles and washer fluid hoses so overall the price was very reasonable IMO.

Quick comparison between my old pieces (hard to see the broken parts lol) and the new ones...
      [​IMG]

Installed up (with the new windshield on as well)...
      [​IMG]

One of the old washer fluid lines that run between the nozzle into the engine bay... Seems a bit leaky lol...
      [​IMG]

Finally have washer fluid front and back for the first time that I've owned the truck lol.

Nice storm hit shortly after I sprayed down the truck a bit afterwards...
      [​IMG]

Depending on how hot it is today I may try to replace the door window motor finally. Hope to get to the seat before to long though my next few weekends I will be out of town and without the van my wife has been driving the Xploder when she needs more room than what her SMART car provides lol.

• Like Like x 1
    16. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Beautiful, I'm glad there are some NOS parts still out there. I have two of those I'll install also when I get my good one painted.

I found out recently the torsion bar isolators can wear out. I replaced the four control arms, and the isolators fell out when the torsion bars released. They were toast, the material in them that looks like urethane was completely gone. It's supposed to be about 3/4" thick or so, the pair in my 99 were like new when I had those out in 2007. So I found three NOS parts from Tasca, it's a Ranger part now, through the 2011 Ranger(same suspension). It's a 6L5Z 5B335AA part, over $60 from Ford now, $30 back in 2007 when I first checked on them.

17. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
    18. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      Well.. something is wrong with my driver side window... ugh. Something is scratching the glass more than before now in 2 places when the window goes up and down :-/ Plus.. a decent gap in the trim when down compared to passenger side. Need to pull it back apart.. hopefully I can buff out the scratches as well...

[​IMG]

19. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      There are a couple of guides that touch the glass I think, small with a fabric like felt on them, it's been years since I looked inside the doors closely. Be sure nothing metal is touching the glass.

You might want to buy those two window felts/trim, I think they can still be had new. I bought several 10+ years ago, knowing I'd want them to rebuild things. They used to run about $30, give or take, inside and outside were slightly different. Those are super easy to change, try to get some of them.

20. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      Thanks for the info! I will have to take a look next week as I will be out of town camping early tomorrow morning until Monday. Any idea what the part(s) is/are called or part numbers? Window guides? Window trim? lol.

21. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Try window felt, it's the window rubber or felt, similar. I was hunting the outer/above window trim in February, that was hard to find.

22. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      Thanks! I will take a look when I can... window/door just doesn't seem right at all but no time to delve into it.

23. willzilla

willzilla Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Atoka, TN
      2000 XLT AWD
      Finally have a free weekend this weekend.. Hope to delve into the driver side window issue. Ordered up some new snaps for the trim as well.