1. for access to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews and discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2000 B3000 Broken Throttle Return?

Discussion in 'Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum' started by itinerant, April 10, 2012.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. itinerant

itinerant New Member

July 6, 2011
      City, State:
      South Strafford, VT
      Year and Model:
      '00 B3000
      Hi all,

I have a 2000 Mazda B3000 4WD Reg Cab Manual transmission with 143,000 miles. I've had it for 7 years.

This morning on my way to work I was driving about 50 mph when I felt the accelerator pedal 'give' - the resistance in the pedal just went away and all of a sudden my foot went to the floor and the truck accelerated. Hard. So I put in the clutch and the engine raced, of course. I sort of wiggled the gas pedal and it slowly came back, rpms slowly came back down. I carefully drove the rest of the way to work, the engine racing a little every time I shifted (although not as bad as I feared it would - maybe up to 4000). I also noticed that at idle, it won't go back to its normal idle speed; instead, it stays at around 2000 rpm.

I don't know much about throttle linkage, but I looked up at the pedal and the cable seems fine - it's not getting stuck in the housing or anything, and the pedal moves completely freely, it just has no resistance or willingness to return back to the normal position once your foot is off it. So I'm assuming that there's just a spring somewhere in there which finally rusted through and broke, or something like that. Does that make sense? Or is there a second cable that handles the throttle return (like on a carburetor?) Your help is greatly appreciated! I don't have a local mechanic that I know very well, so I'd just as soon try to tackle this issue myself (if anyone knows a good mechanic in Bergen County, NJ, let me know!).

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.