2000 Eddie Bauer Ed - How to put Window Up ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Eddie Bauer Ed - How to put Window Up ?

Mike789

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
I've a friend who has one of these, and for the past year it has had various intermittant electrical probs...

Now, the drivers window won't move up or dn. We took apart the door panel...how do we get the window to go up and dn ?

Also, can we hook up a switch directly to the motor from the battery to manually move it up/dn ?

Thx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most likely you have a broken wire inside the rubber bellow boot between the door and body. Years ago when I owned a '95 and wasn't aware of this common problem, I simply tapped into a "hot" wire under the hood and ran a wire directly to the driver door window switch (after confirming the motor was still good). Although not the correct repair, it worked fine for several years before I ended up sending it to the JY.

THX
Where might the pinout be for the drivers door switch ? Need to know what to conenct to what.

We will check within that door boot too for broken wires.

We could use the pinout as the door is already apart, and just want to get the window up until it's warm enough to do more.

See if this matches, though if you get lucky it might not be much more work to pull the boot back and find the broken wire, solder it back together or add a length of new wire between the two broken ends to increase the flexibility in that area, with heatshrink tubing on it.

Even if you can't solder it back together right now, just jumpering between the two broken ends of wire could allow using the switch to raise it. Just make sure it's electrically insulated from anything metal when finished.

window diagram.png

Thx.
I've read about the boot/wire issue, but, along with the windows that don't work, the WW, the 4WD, the directionals, the heat, the radio, the overhead display, and if the Explorer could mahange it, MY PHONE, wouldn't work either ! All these are intermittant. I'll definitely look for a broken wire, but I suspect a GEM module at the least.
If it were up to me, I'd hard-wire every single electrical thing in the Exloder to a panel with 25 switches, and run everythign manually. All this automagic stuff is for the BIRDS ! I'm also thankful this is NOT MY EXPLORER :)

What do I drive ?
- 76 Ford LTD Brougham 2dr (351)
- 74 Ford LTD 4 dr (400) my fav car
- 69 Chevy Caprice 2dr 350/300
- 88 Ford van
- 94 4runner
And a dozen motorcycles...

The power windows are all run by one power wire(blue/black), and one ground(black) wire, both large 12g. You can check those at the window switch connector, or the connector in the LF door jamb. Most breaks are in the jamb area, on the car side of the large connector.

The non-LF windows are powered by the same power/ground circuits(wires), but the wires leaving the LF switch to them, are different colors. The power for those is always the 12g red/blue wire, but the grounds all go through the other pairs of wires from the master switch. So you can't easily hot wire one motor, just directly bypassing all switches.

Check the big blue/black wire first, then the black ground wire.

wiringfordriverdoorswitches.JPG

That looks like a good pic. I will get a meter and see what is happening there.
THX

get a battery from your cordless drill, disconnect the 2 wire plug to the motor and use a pigtail to put power/ground on the plug to check the motor. (reverse leads to go up/down) This could rule out a bad switch or bad motor. You can figure out at this point what you need and head to junk yard for a new part!

I always bring a cordless drill with me to JY to test electrical parts as I need them.

Ditto, I have used my C3 batteries to run a power seat forward, to get at the bolts. It's an adventure to figure out which pair of the six wires runs it forward or back. It's cool except for having to scrounge around under a JY filthy seat. Bring gloves too, you'll be glad you did.

Thx.
I've read about the boot/wire issue, but, along with the windows that don't work, the WW, the 4WD, the directionals, the heat, the radio, the overhead display, and if the Explorer could mahange it, MY PHONE, wouldn't work either ! All these are intermittant. I'll definitely look for a broken wire, but I suspect a GEM module at the least.
IF I recall correctly, a GEM fault could cause the one-touch down feature to stop working, but from the diagram it looks like the switch is an alternate path that should still work even if the GEM circuit fried.

There are relays before the switch but if the other window switches work then power is going through the relays and it seems like it should be a bad switch mechanism for that particular window (unfortunately the whole thing is a module so would all have to be replaced at once) or one of the wires broke.

Less likely, the motor itself or the gear pucks in the motor attached gear housing (though then you'd hear the motor spinning).

This particular Exploder has multiple issues. When 'IT' happens, which is almost all the time now, all kinds of stuff won't work. Directionals, wipers, 4WD, radio, and windows. That means ALL the windows usually.

If it were up to me, I'd hard-wire direct from the battery, every single function to an array of maybe 20 switches, bypassing everything.

Mainly now we need to get the drivers window up :)

This particular Exploder has multiple issues. When 'IT' happens, which is almost all the time now, all kinds of stuff won't work. Directionals, wipers, 4WD, radio, and windows. That means ALL the windows usually.

If it were up to me, I'd hard-wire direct from the battery, every single function to an array of maybe 20 switches, bypassing everything.

Mainly now we need to get the drivers window up :)

Might be the GEM (General Electronic Module). If you wanted to wire stuff directly to the battery you'd need to add relays and fuses for most all functions, so not really a realistic option.

It would be much easier than troubleshooting what Ford gave us. I could put it all on one board, all the relays, all the fuses, and none of it would be automatic...ie, no GEM module. Ford made a good Explorer, but the electrical system is less than idea one might say.

Also, are there relays for the windows up near the GEM, under the dash somewhere ?

The windows run full current, but the auto down function for the driver's window is in the GEM. The first Explorers had a module just for the auto down, in the 93 and 94's, that was mounted behind the door panel. You can get those from 90's Taurus' etc, and add them to any Ford window, to run it down or up.

Here's the one I used for my right front window, and the master control I fitted to the RF door. Those modules all look the same, size and wiring.

Projectthread069.JPG

I've a friend who has one of these, and for the past year it has had various intermittant electrical probs...

Now, the drivers window won't move up or dn. We took apart the door panel...how do we get the window to go up and dn ?

Also, can we hook up a switch directly to the motor from the battery to manually move it up/dn ?

Thx
Try swapping switches if you can. It may be that the switch is broken internally

When I got my '01 ST It had all kinds of weird window problems. RF did't work at all, RR would go up from it's switch, but down only from the master switch. The PO had gutted the LR door looking for a nonexistent window problem.

I started by removing the interior door panels and running 12V power and ground directly to each window motor's yellow and red wires. All the windows would go up and down, so I knew the motors were good. Then I removed the driver's door (had to replace a hinge anyway) and checked for broken wires. I found none. Lastly I studied the wiring diagrams for the windows and ran power and ground from the various master switch window switches and the window worked. That told me my master switch was the problem. I bought a new one off eBay for around $25 - no more window problems (once I reconstructed the LR door).

Thx.

Check that diagram I posted previously. The GEM should be pulling battery saver relay coil pin #2 down to ground to activate the relay coil. That relay could be bad, or the accessory ("ACCY") Delay Relay after it.

If you just want to get rid of the GEM for windows, cut the "12V Blue/Black" in the switch pic CDW posted, and run that to the Red/Lt Blue coming out of the power distribution box in the engine bay. Since those are all motors, you won't have any extra parasitic drain with the vehicle off like you would if you tried to wire the battery saver and accy delay relays to always be on... but that won't fix any of the other problems.

I'd try the relays first, swap in a known working relay.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

More good suggestions - thx !
FYI, not sure I posted, but this is a 2000 EB edition.
And lots of stuff doesn't work, wipers, radio, 4WD, etc, all intermittant but lately it's been not working almost all the time.
BTW where are all these window relays?
In the engine comp fuse box ?

Back