1. for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2000 Explorer 4x4 Limited turns over but won't start.

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by mikeygt350, August 4, 2010.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. mikeygt350

mikeygt350 New Member

Year and Model:
      2000 Limited
      Hello,
      Can anybody help me with a starting issue on my 2000 explorer limited 4x4? It has ran great up til now, but suddenly will not start. It turns over like it is going to start fine, but never seems to get the gas to start. I towed it to our local mechanic who is usually able to fix anything, but he is stumped. First thought was of course the fuel pump, but that didn't fix it. He checked iignition, relays, and all he could think of, but no luck. He thinks the pump is turning "on" but not getting a "signal" to pump the gas for start. He thinks it is a computer issue. That would probably mean Ford needs to fix it, but I would rather not have to tow it to a ford shop. I thought someone out there may have experienced this or similar electrical or computer probs and could tell me something else to have him look into before giving up.
      Any help appreciated!
      Thanks,
      Mike

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 2000StreetRod

2000StreetRod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      Year and Model:
      00 Sport FI,03 Limited V8
    4. mikeygt350

mikeygt350 New Member

Year and Model:
      2000 Limited
      Thanks for the help. The mechanic working on my explorer has tried those ideas already and is not coming up with anything. The only one not tried so far is the wire ohming, but I don't think that's it, because the fuel pump appears to be working.

He said the pump turns on and works, but just not allowing it to get to the engine. He thinks something with the computer may be functioning incorrectly. Anyone had this odd problem before or other ideas of things to try or test computer without taking it to ford?
      Thanks,
      Mike

5. Turdle

Turdle Step-buddy Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      Year and Model:
      2000 Mounty
      If the fuel pump turns on it is delivering fuel.

Next step is to install a "noid" on an injector to check for voltage signal to the injector.

The cam sensor controls injector timing and pulses. However it will not usually prevent a start when it fails

Now what sometimes seems to be a no fuel situation may actually be a no spark--

Try some starting fluid into the throttle body and see if it will try to fire. If it still will not try to fire- you may have an ignition problem.
      The crankshaft position sensor "times" the ignition pulses. check it well, and, also check the harmonic balancer, which has the timing sprocket attached.

PCM's rarely fail. I suppose you could take it out and look for obvious burned areas inside--

6. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    7. JustAGurl

JustAGurl New Member

City, State:
      DSM Iowa
      Year and Model:
      1992 Ford Ranger
      Not Starting

Is this a procedure I can use on my 97 Ranger xlt? if not is there one posted for this particular ford?

8. 2000StreetRod

2000StreetRod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      Year and Model:
      00 Sport FI,03 Limited V8
      for 2nd generation

The procedure was written for 2nd generation Explorers. I'm not aware of a procedure for your Ranger.