2000 Explorer Fog Lights not Working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer Fog Lights not Working

Reaction score
City, State
Wantagh
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
This is an annoying problem that I just can't seem to figure out. I have hit a dead end trying to figure out how to get my front fogs working. I recently bought the car as a station car and would like to supplement the dim-as-hell headlights. Here is what I did to diagnose the problem:
Checked all fuses - ok
Replaced the relay
Replaced the bulbs
Green indicator on dash switch lights up when the button is pressed.
No power to lights confirmed with a multimeter.
What am i missing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is an annoying problem that I just can't seem to figure out. I have hit a dead end trying to figure out how to get my front fogs working. I recently bought the car as a station car and would like to supplement the dim-as-hell headlights. Here is what I did to diagnose the problem:
Checked all fuses - ok
Replaced the relay
Replaced the bulbs
Green indicator on dash switch lights up when the button is pressed.
No power to lights confirmed with a multimeter.
What am i missing?
If the fog light indicator is on, they should have power. It's either a disconnected wire, or perhaps the sockets are corroded and not making contact to the bulbs. Having said that, don't expect the fog lights to make any difference for road illumination. Unless you install something much brighter than the original lamps there, these are essentially a decoration.

Check for continutity to ground at the sockets. My fog lights are quite effective.

Perhaps you already are aware of this, but with the headlights on high-beam the fog lights go off. They only work on low-beam and/or with the parking lights.

Hi Jack! have this problem with one fog light
It needed a new “pigtail last time” I can’t find the part at autozone, anyone who can let me know!!!”

Back