and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2000 Explorer with cracked porcelain on a spark plug.

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by jzvosechz, October 30, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. jzvosechz

jzvosechz New Member

Year and Model:
      2000 xlt 4.0 ohv
      I have a 2000 explorer with a 4.0 ohv motor. the number 4 cylinder keeps coming up with a misfire code. When the plug is removed the porcelain inside the head is cracked and half of the porcelain is missing. Have changed the plugs and wires the first time and just the plug twice after. Have also removed all injectors and soaked them in carb cleaner over night. The injectors were then reinstalled with new o-rings. It takes about 100 miles before I notice a rough running condition and the check engine light comes on again. The code only comes up for cylinder four. All plugs look to be firing ok, even number four on the half of porcelain left (no carbon build-up,no discoloration-not orange like lean not green like coolant leak) have asked many people no one is sure about path to follow to resolve

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    4. Rick

Rick Pumpkin Pilot Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Wayoutin, Aridzona
      Year and Model:
      '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
      Callsign:
      AB7FH
      Possibly a lean condition in that cylinder causing detonation which breaks the ceramic. that's all I can think of...

5. coonerboy

coonerboy Active Member

City, State:
      Herkimer, NY
      Year and Model:
      98 Explorer XLT 4wd V8
      Did the broken porcelain piece fall into the cylinder? If it did that could be a big problem.

Are you saying you are on your 3rd plug for the #4 cyl? It keeps breaking after you put it in?

6. corkey

corkey Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Elite Canuck,multiple ifs offender,, and musky maniac,, i wheel and i fish,,
      Year and Model:
      99 xls,96 xl,91,08 Ranger
      hmmm they are resistor plugs, so it will not fire properly with 1/2 the porcelain missing, replace the plug,,

7. coonerboy

coonerboy Active Member

City, State:
      Herkimer, NY
      Year and Model:
      98 Explorer XLT 4wd V8
      Right on corkey! The high energy spark WILL seek the path of least resistance. I have seen spark go through hairline cracks in spark plugs. Change the plug. If it keeps cracking after you put it in, figure out why it keeps doing that. Good luck.

8. GCDMD

GCDMD Active Member

City, State:
      Minden, NV
      Year and Model:
      99 Limited V8
      The man's dead on. I actually went through this problem on my 97 SUHC...I mean SOHC. There was a hairline fracture that wasn't visible unless a bright light was near it. That small fracture was enough to cause a P0171 code and a severe miss at idle and load. I would recommend replacing all of the plugs at the same time. Another thing to add: make sure there are no "gaps" in the porcelain. Gaps indicate the porcelain fractured and separated- possibly in your block. That is when it gets scary.
      Forgot to mention that I have received a cracked spark plug from the store. Carefully inspect every plug before inserting into your engine, regardless if it is new or old!!!

9. Rick

Rick Pumpkin Pilot Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Wayoutin, Aridzona
      Year and Model:
      '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
      Callsign:
      AB7FH
      He needs to find out why the plug keeps breaking each time he installs a new one... I stick by the lean condition causing detonation in that specific cylinder...