2000 Explorer XLT Overlanding Build | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer XLT Overlanding Build

trueblue02

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 exploder
Hey y'all,

So I am starting to get more into overlanding and back country camping trips, and want to track the progress of my new-to-me explorer as I build it for a cross country road trip this summer. I originally wanted to do the trip in my 91, but the transmission has been slowly eating itself, and there multiple leaks forming as well. I didn't think it was worth it to fix the issues as I don't have a good shop right now, and tried an axle swap once that went badly. So on to my new 2000 XLT SOHC:

7076.jpeg

It's in pretty good shape, only 110k and a clean interior after some scrubbing. It's got some rear leaf sag but the 4wd works and it's nice and quiet on the highway. Took it to Tahoe the day after buying and it was great, 75 up the mountain no problem! My 1st gen would have been struggling to do 55... Side by side with the 1st gen:
0408181613.jpg

It's interesting how even though they are about the same size, the 2nd gen feels a lot bigger from the drivers seat!

First up on the list of gear is getting a roof rack, some drawers in the back, and maybe an awning. My girlfriend and I are planning on sleeping in the back of the truck for most of the trip, so a bed frame will get made eventually too. I'm also planning on getting some 265/75/16 AT tires, and a 2" lift at least to fix the sagging. Anybody have recommendations for light bars or tire brands?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look forward to seeing more of this build. I really like the color.

At least for tires I can help with an opinion. Virtually any BFG is a decent choice. I have 265/70/16 on stock lift and they fill out the wells great and dont rub. As for the 2" lift, you have a few options. you could go tt and shackles, tt and rear add a leafs, or a body lift.
138450-67d8747ca30272bbccb2c45c148310d8.jpg

P1040201.JPG

Thanks Worms! I think I got lucky with the color as you don't always get to pick with used cars, I was just looking for the lowest mile best service history one I could find. This was grandpa owned and almost always taken to the dealer :)

For the lift I was looking on rockauto and it looks like they have over sized leaf springs available for the 2nd gen, the stock size has 4-13/16" of free arch, while these have 6.5" of free arch. So that's about a 1-3/4" lift.
More Information for DAYTON 431159

They're not that cheap at $189 a piece, but I'd prefer it over the hassle/harsher ride of add-a-leaf and you would get more suspension travel than with shackles, as well as more stability or so I've heard. Probably just gonna TT the front to level it out after.

I've heard good things about BFG's but was looking on tire rack and they are pretty pricey, almost $30 more per tire than the cooper discoverer AT/3's, I think the AT/3's were $130 per, and the BFG KO2's were $160+. How much were your Rugged terrains CabbageLord?

Skip looking at BFG Rugged Trails... AKA Rugged Fails...

You could save money on the rear leafs getting a 5 coil pack from older f-150 at a junk yard. You keep the explorer main leaf but swap In the other 3 leafs and overload from the f-150. I gained more with it than an aal. Then level the front with the tt. There's lots of info about it here.
Modifying Ford Explorer Leaf Springs for Lift using F-150 Leaf Springs

Buy the new springs, you’ll be happier in the end.

I did and am,

Coopers absolutely suck.

I went through 3 sets, and no matter how religiously you rotate them, they’ll be rough riders whose howl will convince you a bearing is going out.

I put Nitto’s on and none of the wearing issues.

Nothing was changed and the issues are completely gone.

Where are you located if you are driving to tahoe you may be close to me (stockton)... I have a roof rack that will bolt right onto your explorer. It is not pretty but I will give it to you if you want it. It is the first thing I ever made with an arc welder, I made it out of scrap metal. It served me really well in the time I had it. It won't fit on my new mounty due to fixed roof rack, so I am going to build myself another roof rack for the mounty.

Looking forward to the build.

Since having 2 of these 2nd Gens in the past year, I'm really liking the vehicles and plan on picking up a 3rd nice V8 4Dr (as soon as I sell my Jeep) to replace my Sport. Enjoyable and simple to work on; not to mention the Ex-community is great.

I am going with GY 265/75 16 Duratracs for longevity/price, good traction, and lower load rating for a better ride than BFG's.

I am running stock leaf packs with the overload leaf removed, 2" lift shackles, and air shocks. The air shocks, at only 50lbs are enough to provide additional arch to the springs and maintain a decent ride. When the air shocks go I will do bags. I did a twist up front and added air shocks.

We sleep in the back and carry everything on top. We can stop about anywhere and get some rest then find/set-up camp later.

Jeff is it an open top rack? I'm probably looking more towards cargo boxes for the aerodynamics and rain protection.

I got the drawer built this week! Also managed to change the front diff fluid and will be doing a few other tune up items over the next month or two. The fuel mileage has already improved just from taking out the old sludgy fluid, I was getting 15-16 on average but I am probably up 2mpg just from that. I've read Aldive's mileage thread and am shooting for 25 best case scenario MPG, my 91 hit 24mpg on one good trip so I think it's possible even with the 4wd and extra gear...

Here's some shots of the drawer, started with just a cardboard template and went from there, ended up being about $70 in supplies and about a day to put together.
0424181142.jpg

Also a big thanks to my girlfriend, she went HAM with the interior. This is the cleanest car I've owned!
0423181852.jpg

After getting the template, I drew a little blueprint and figured i'd need a variety of sizes from 1/8" plywood, 3/4" boards, and some 1x1 posts. Got all the materials and a little extra at the lumber store and came up with this:

0427181201_HDR.jpg

It's 40" long and 16" wide, fits right in behind the rear seats, and just barely clears the hatch with the handle.

0427181201.jpg

You can pull it out by hand and then a leg will drop down to support the close end, with the far end staying in the back of the truck. It's got a cover on the top that can lift out and slid under the stove for extra counter space or a cutting board.

0427181204_HDR.jpg

The leg was a little wobbly at first so I added a brace to keep it from moving side to side, and a little foot for more contact with the ground. I also added little slides to make it easier to push in and out.
0427181248_HDR.jpg

Going to test it out next weekend so we'll see how well it works, but It's pretty slim overall and has a good amount of storage space. Next up is either a second drawer for more storage, or getting the springs replaced and truck lifted. It'll depend on how much time i have in May as I'll be pretty busy. Also I want to see how well it does on some easy trails stock, so I can get a better idea of what I need...

Yes it is open top.

I paid 116 a piece for my bfg's. Btw, that is a clean Explorer. one that are in good shape are getting harder and harder to find!

Hey y'all,

Been super busy with work and getting everything together for the trip so haven't posted in a while but I'll update now! After doing the drawer I went up to Sequoia national park and had a great time exploring around there and seeing the Big Trees. Took a few service roads into our campsite but the buck rock trail (which we wanted to go on) was closed so didn't test the 4wd too much. Did manage to scrape some dirt with the step board on our way into the campsite though so definitely needed a little more clearance.

I got all the stuff together for the new leaf springs and swapped them out the other weekend, and while the springs did fix the sag, they did not really lift the truck up from stock. Not sure what the shorter springs would have done but I figure there were two ride heights, one for 2wd and one for 4wd maybe? So I got a set of warrior shackles on amazon for $100 and they shipped in two days later. I also noticed that my front shock absorber was making noise and leaking fluid so I got a set of Rancho rsx5000's to replace the fronts and match the rear shocks. The ride over bumps is way smoother now!

0608181639.jpg

Before and After of the the warrior shackles and Torsion Twist. What was interesting is that I initially adjusted the torsion bars to their highest setting, but then had to back them off about 3 turns to be level with the rear. The shackles only gave me about 1.5" up from stock, started 33.5" to the middle of the wheel-well, ended with about 35".

0619181450.jpg

0609181524_HDR.jpg

Some shots of the new spring/shock combo. If I were to go any higher I would need longer brake lines for the rear axle, as this one was pulled to it's full length at full droop.

Bonus shot from our drive in! This was above Hume Lake in the Sequoia national forest. Much softer driving than my last trip to death valley. Pine needles make for a smooth ride compared to pointy rocks!
0504181404.jpg

Very Nice. We are gonna be doing something similar Next Saturday. Going up to a place called Rainbow falls by Woodland Park, CO. Great place for stock rigs and a place to test the Modified Rigs. Do you have 16 inch rims?

Sounds nice! Yeah they're the 16 "teardrop" style I think. I really like the look of them, but it would be nice to have an 8" wide wheel instead of 7" like they are. Right now the fender flares come out past the wheels by a bit over 1", so I think it would look better with a wider stance to match the fenders (also better stability). I can't find teardrops like that though, and would rather not use spacers as I don't have upgraded studs...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well now the first picture of being out is showing LOL. Yeah I know what you mean.

Back