and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2000 Ford Explorer XLS auto 4x4 will not disengage

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by riotten22, December 1, 2005.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. riotten22

riotten22 New Member

City, State:
      Watertown,mn
      Year and Model:
      2000 explorer XLS
      I am having a problem with my auto 4x4 engaging because of the snowy conditions and then never disengaging when I hit the highway where the roads are dry... Does anyone have any tips or ideas on what might be the problem.. I have been able to get it out of 4x4 when i go in reverse really fast but currently dont have any long stretches of dry pavement to do so.

Thanks,
      Nick

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Skibum1989

Skibum1989 Active Member

City, State:
      Sammamish, WA
      Year and Model:
      '95 XLT
      I've heard switching it to 4x2 hi and putting it in reverse for 80 feet or so disengages it, not sure tho.

4. 00XLS

00XLS Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Frackville/State College PA
      Year and Model:
      Explorer 00 XLS
      I hope your kidding. There is no need to reverse after using 4x4 with our trucks, esp on a '00 with the auto 4x4. As I understand it, the 4x4 is ALWAYS sending a small percentage of power to the front axle. There is a mod called the brown wire mod. on the site here that can help you make it a true 2wd. Backing up for 80 I would think can be dangerous, JMO.

5. Skibum1989

Skibum1989 Active Member

City, State:
      Sammamish, WA
      Year and Model:
      '95 XLT
      Yeah, thats what the guy who sold my explorer to me said to do while disengaging the 4wd, like on some chain off area or somthin where I wouldnt need the 4wd any longer, sounded strange to me too, so far my 4wd had done a fine job switching over, so I havent had a chance to test it out.

6. riotten22

riotten22 New Member

City, State:
      Watertown,mn
      Year and Model:
      2000 explorer XLS
      The reverse thing is the only way i can get it to disengage so something is not right. The auto 4x4 engages fine but just never disengaes unless i floor it for about a block in reverse....

Nick

7. Blee1099

Blee1099 Evil Asian Moderator Emeritus EF Vendor

City, State:
      Elkridge, MD
      Year and Model:
      on the 95-01, you don't have to put it in reverse to disengage the 4WD. The control trac automatically sends juice to the front axle for a short period until it reaches a certain speed. The auto 4WD doesn't have a true 2WD per say but you can do a brown wire mod to give you a true 2WD.

8. 00XLS

00XLS Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Frackville/State College PA
      Year and Model:
      Explorer 00 XLS
      Exactly, theres always power going to the front.

9. Skibum1989

Skibum1989 Active Member

City, State:
      Sammamish, WA
      Year and Model:
      '95 XLT
      the 95's are equipped with Control Trac 4wd? I never noticed I guess

10. riotten22

riotten22 New Member

City, State:
      Watertown,mn
      Year and Model:
      2000 explorer XLS
      So my 00 exporer xls has control trac? It has auto , 4x4 high and 4x4 low on the switch. It feels like it is in 4x4 high even know it is on auto. When i turn on dry pavement going slow you can feel the 4x4 clunking in the front wheels. If i reverse while semi fast for about a 100 feet I here a clunk and it disengages. I heard it clunk while on auto mode when the rear wheels slipped the other day on the snow and it was in 4x4 even on dry pavement until I did the reverse thing.

11. gijoecam

gijoecam Village Idiot Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Trenton, MI
      Year and Model:
      98 ExSport, '00 F-150
      It's simple. If the switch is in 4auto and the transfer case is stuck in 4 high, the transfer case is broken. It really is that simple. If unplugging the transfer case does not force the t-case to release the front driveshaft, something is bound-up internally. There should be absolutely no need to reverse a second or third generation Explorer to release the 4wd.

-Joe

12. IAmTodd

IAmTodd 4x Explorer Veteran Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Johnstown, PA
      Year and Model:
      2001 Jeep Cherokee
      You have 4AUTO. You have Control Trac. Just an earlier version that has 2wd and not 4HI.

13. gijoecam

City, State:
      Trenton, MI
      Year and Model:
      98 ExSport, '00 F-150
      Indeed, same switch, same transfer case, different programming of the GEM and different front axle.

-Joe

14. gijoecam

City, State:
      Trenton, MI
      Year and Model:
      98 ExSport, '00 F-150
      Not quite true. The system uses a solid state relay. A solid state relay connot ever truly stop the current flow completely, but it is very good at rapidly turning the current 'on' and 'off', even if 'off' isn't completely off. That's why those with the BWM with a lighted switch see it flicker from dim to bright and back.

Mechanically, the clutch coil needs a certain amount of current before it engages, but it is either engaged or disengaged. There is no in-between where <i>some portion other than 50%</i> of the power gets transmitted to the front axle.

When the system is operating, the GEM interprets the wheel speeds, throttle position, engine RPM, etc and varies the <b>duty cycle</b> of the transfer case clutch coil as necessary, or in other words, the percentage of <i>TIME 50% of the power is applied to the front wheels</i>. That's not the same thing as varying the percentage of power sent to the front wheel.

Make sense?

So, technically there is always electrical power flowing through the transfer case clutch coil. However, the transfer case is not always engaged and sending power to the front wheels.

-Joe