2000 Ford Ranger....manual door lock HARD to open with key | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Ford Ranger....manual door lock HARD to open with key

Victor Newman

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Ranger XLT
Greetings, just joined. I am a mechanical dunce, especially about autos. Bought used in 2006 and drive it only occasionally (400 miles a year). Both doors may or may not open, despite repeated tries. Sometimes key does not move at all. I have the feeling it is not the cylinders, but the mechanism inside the door panel. When the door does open....it is stiff. When the door is open and I use the key, it is better, but not great. Once inside, the power door lock/unlock switch works fine.

I am not removing any panels. It will be lubing the key or cylinder....or to a local mechanic. I have many lubricants here....PB Blaster, BoeShield, Silicone, 3-1 oil, Lithium grease, Graphite and WD40. Heard about LPS-1 but don't have any.

Thought I would ask for help.....before I start anything. Seems the locks can collect dust and get worse if wrong lube used.

Many thanks,

Open the door and thoroughly flush out the door LATCH with WD-40 followed with white lithium spray grease or similar. There are two crescent shaped "claws" inside the latch that hook on the door striker fastened to the pillar. If the claws are binding or sticking, use a small flat blade screwdriver to open them up while pulling on the inner handle to release. Repeat as needed. Also a good idea to place newspaper or cardboard under the open door, as oil will drip from the water drain covers. Service ALL the latches including the tailgate.

Sometimes lubricating the latches and key cylinders will suffice, but more often than not door panel removal is required to inspect all the lock rod linkages and plastic clips.

UPDATE......seems to be working fine, for now. Squirted BoeShield in "claws" but did not use a tool to open or close them. Squirted BS in two holes under pull handle and then put some on the key and turned the cylinder 10-20 times with door locked and with handle up and open. Pushed and pulled the plastic tabs up and down many times.

Thanks for the help and I will post again if the problem resurfaces.....

Back