and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2000 Merc. Mountaineeer o2 sensor location

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by rrzany, August 26, 2010.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. rrzany

rrzany New Member

I have a 2000 mountaineer 5.0 v8 and the drivers side upstream o2 is bad and i have no idea where it is. i have taken the tire and wheel well off and i cant find it. can someone help me? thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Dan Whitaker

Dan Whitaker One fast putty tat Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Raytown MO (Kansas City suburb)
      Year and Model:
      No Mounty no more.
      Got search?

It works wonders :)

4. rrzany

rrzany New Member

i just did search and i couldnt find anything. do you know the sensor is at? ive seen people say take the wheel off and its there but i didnt see it.

5. SparkyJeff

SparkyJeff Active Member

City, State:
      Minneapolis, MN
      Year and Model:
      '00 5.0L Mountaineer
      Bank 1 is the side of the engine with the number one cylinder. For the 5.0 Liter Ford Engine this means the passenger side, sensor 1 means that it is the first sensor that the exhaust reaches as it exits the engine and travels rearward toward the back end, it is between the catalytic converter and the engine exhaust manifold/header. you've already jacked up the truck and taken the wheel off, support the truck with a jack stand and crawl under there. Its not a tiny sensor, you will see it. start by checking the electrical connection of the sensor, try to wiggle it, pull it apart put it back together what have you. Then clear the code by either disconnecting the battery for a while, or using a scan tool. that may do the trick for you. good luck

Edit: by the way, it is screwed into the exhaust pipe, not the engine, not the car body, it's not the egr tube which is on top of the exhaust manifold in the engine bay, get under the truck safely, It is not hiding from you although it's not right out in the open where it can be damaged by every little piece of road debris, so it might be hard to get a wrench on it to turn it out.

6. rrzany

rrzany New Member

its the drivers side sensor and the only sensors i found where in the exhaust pipe and no matter who i ask i get different answers. i took the battery cables off and im letting them sit for a while. whoever invented o2 sensors is cleaning up

7. SparkyJeff

SparkyJeff Active Member

City, State:
      Minneapolis, MN
      Year and Model:
      '00 5.0L Mountaineer
      those sensors in the exhaust pipe are the oxygen sensors

8. SparkyJeff

SparkyJeff Active Member

City, State:
      Minneapolis, MN
      Year and Model:
      '00 5.0L Mountaineer
    9. rrzany

rrzany New Member

yea i know. those are the only ones that i could find. its the upstream ones i cant find.

10. SparkyJeff

SparkyJeff Active Member

City, State:
      Minneapolis, MN
      Year and Model:
      '00 5.0L Mountaineer
      the upstream sensor is the one that is after the exhaust header and before the cat converter.

11. Turdle

Turdle Check it out Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      Year and Model:
      2000 Mounty
      Dude
      the driver side (bank 2) sensor 1 ( upstream) is right under the dang transmission to engine mating point. You probably bumped your head on it.
      :D

The remaining 3- 02 sensors are all on the passenger side of the transmission.

12. rrzany

rrzany New Member

so they are not in the manifold but in the pipe because the ones in the pipe (close to engine) are the ones i changed. so the downstream are down towards the end of the exhaust? me and my old man both crawled under and only saw the two previously mentioned.