• Register Today It's free!

2000 ranger xlt 4.0 engine swap

damn truck

Reaction score
City, State
WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 eplorer xlt
is the 4.0 in a 200 ford ranger xlt swapable with a 2002 ford ranger sport trac?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think the ranger got the SOHC until 2001? If you are looking to put an engine in the "Explorer Sport trac" then any 4.0L SOHC will work. Ranger, Mustang, Land Rover, Explorer, Explorer sport trac. Just strip it to a long block and swap all the hardware over from the old engine. If you are looking to put an engine in a 2000 or older ranger you will have to track down an OHV.

I have a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer with a blown 4.0L SOHC engine. I found a 4.0L SOHC engine out of a 2000 Ford Explorer. Can this engine be used? Easy, compatible swap or will some things need changed out?

Welcome to the forum.

You may want to repost your question under it's own title for better visibility.

Welcome to the forum.

You may want to repost your question under it's own title for better visibility.
I"m new to this and I've been looking all over and can't figure out how to do that.

@BeagleMOM
It will work but you have to swap EVERYTHING over. Valve covers, exhaust manifolds, intake, injectors and fuel rail and install a freeze plug in old pcv hole to name a few things. The timing cover and oil pan are the same though.

Thanks! We had someone here last night to look it over and we have ordered all new parts that you mentioned here. Still cheaper than buying a new engine for an older vehicle.

Like I said in the post on the other thread you had.

Don't forget those pesky timing chains while the engine is out on the ground.

We have that coming also :)

Cool.

Just trying to "Cover All Of The Bases" and provide you with the best information and help possible.

I thinks that's what all of us should do...

Back