2000 XLT W/ Electrical Problems Help!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 XLT W/ Electrical Problems Help!!

dsmcooper

Reaction score
City, State
South Lake Tahoe
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
Hello Everyone,

I have a 2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4X4.
4.0L OHV Engine.

The other day I got a Jump from someone after I left the lights on for about 10 minutes.

I did not see if he put the cables on correctly or not but I did my side.

After that the car did not start the next morning. I jumped it again and took it into work where my work shares a space with a mechanic and had him take a look at it.

He told me that there was a draw on the system of ~2.5A, He found out it was coming from this circuit and told me to remove that fuse every night when I park the car.
DSCN0174.jpg

DSCN0175.jpg

With the fuse out the 4X4 does not work, wipers, dome lights, reverse defroster and probably fog lights but I have not checked them.

The car works other then that when I pull the fuse nightly... However when it is not driven alot it is really weak when starting.

The mechanic told me it was not worth fixing because the computer is too far up in the dash.

Let me know what you guys think.

THANKS!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What fuse do you have to pull?

If the "computer" hes talking about is the GEM module, which can get fried, he's insane. Find a new mechanic. :D

Pull out the 2 bolts under the HVAC controls, pop out the radio bezel, and it's right here:

162021.jpg

If he's talking about the ECM, it's in the middle of the firewall in the engine compartment, also easy to get to.

What fuse do you have to pull?

If the "computer" hes talking about is the GEM module, which can get fried, he's insane. Find a new mechanic. :D

Pull out the 2 bolts under the HVAC controls, pop out the radio bezel, and it's right here:

162021.jpg

If he's talking about the ECM, it's in the middle of the firewall in the engine compartment, also easy to get to.

I believe it is the one in the dash...

I was going to say F it until I pulled my deck out and saw that same thing you have there in your picture.

I believe it is the one in the dash that is not turning off? Does it control windshield wipers 4X4 and dome lights??

Here is the fuse I pull.
DSCN0174-1.jpg

Well, if that's the fuse you're pulling, it does indeed control the GEM module, the instrument cluster, and the SecuriLock system. And the GEM controls a LOT in the truck, including what you've listed...

Also- it is supposed to be a 7.5 amp fuse, not a 25 amp according to the owners manual, it could have been swapped before you got the rig. That could explain how- if indeed- the GEM was fried if something happened during the jump.

Well I dont know what size the fuse is.

It is covered in duct tape and I have not taken it off yet. I figured the 25 next to it referred to what size fuse belonged in there.

So is it fixable or how much does it cost to replace the unit.

Thanks for all your help so far!

Also picked the car up from the deal in 01 so nobody to mess with before me.

Ah ok- yeah, that's the fuse number... :D

Should be a 7.5 amp though. I don't think anyone's tried to repair a GEM, but you might pop it open and see if anything looks fishy as a shot. If not, they're on eBay or our used parts vendors can get one for you for a reasonable price. I know on eBay they're around $50 for a replacement.

You'll need to get the part number off the GEM to make sure you get the correct one. They're very picky, like a GEM from an '01 2-door won't work in an '01 4-door, and stuff like that...

HERE is interesting reading...

So rip it out and get the part number off it?

Ill check it out to see what is burnt if anything.

but 50 sounds much better then what I was originally told.

Yep, it'll be on the side, white sticker...

Thats' what I'm hoping it is- it's entirely possible that when something went wrong with the jumpstart (if it did) it could have melted insulation on a wire somewhere and it's arcing/bad ground. In that case, you've got a goose chase, but it should have blown a fuse before that happened. If it's a cheap GEM issue, you're on the road. Easy parts first. :)

It's just with all of hte stuff you say isn't working now and when it stopped working, it sounds like a GEM issue.

DSCN0179.jpg

first numbers are like xlt2 or something.

I also noticed the wipers were not working...

supposedly the draw is nonexistent with that fused pulled.

Gonna check it out on ebay tomorrow and hopefully they have what im lookin for.

I'm in a giddy mood tonight... :D

CLICK ME

Hey That's just what was going on with mine. I went over to my cousins house to pull his stuck full size 4x4 chevy out, I lost my 4x4 light on the dash along with high and low, pulled him out in 2wd. On the way home I noticed my truck wasn't shifting into o.d. and the overdrive off light was no where to be found. I parked the truck overnight and when i started it up the next day all the radio pre-sets were wiped clean along with the clock. I took it to my trans. guy and they had it 3 days. They replaced part of the under-dash wiring harness, a fuse block, and all of the fuses. When he showed me the old wiring harness it had gotten so hot the wire coatings were melted together and discolored, and the fuse box was melted on the mounting side. It's fixed, cost me $173.74, and now I have reverse lights that I had never noticed had gone out. Don't know if this helps but here ya' go.

Hey That's just what was going on with mine. I went over to my cousins house to pull his stuck full size 4x4 chevy out, I lost my 4x4 light on the dash along with high and low, pulled him out in 2wd. On the way home I noticed my truck wasn't shifting into o.d. and the overdrive off light was no where to be found. I parked the truck overnight and when i started it up the next day all the radio pre-sets were wiped clean along with the clock. I took it to my trans. guy and they had it 3 days. They replaced part of the under-dash wiring harness, a fuse block, and all of the fuses. When he showed me the old wiring harness it had gotten so hot the wire coatings were melted together and discolored, and the fuse box was melted on the mounting side. It's fixed, cost me $173.74, and now I have reverse lights that I had never noticed had gone out. Don't know if this helps but here ya' go.

Yeah that isn't the problem with mine...

everything in my truck works, except the draw is great enough to kill the battery overnight if I leave the fuse in.

That was my mechanics fix, Hopefully replacing the GEM unit for around 50 bucks is gonna fix my problem.

Thanks guys for all your help and I'll post up what happens after the replacement.

I hope it works, or I'll start getting hate mail... :D

Cooper, I hope ya' get it fixed, Electrical problems are a real pain to track down... (well, preaching' to the choir aren't I...) Good luck with it.

dsm: Look at the very top left corner of the pic you posted. Just above a gold bolt head there is a grey flat "something" that looks like it burned in two and got all over the black bracket. I have no idea what it is - but it jumped right out at me. Any chance that is part of your problem??

I think that's the anti-rattle felt in the hole that the fuse panel cover clips in to...

well for "free", I would pull the GEM, leave the fuse in and see what the outcome is on your draw. It doesn't necessarily rule out the GEM but it does eliminate some potential wiring issues.

Good point... :thumbsup:

I think that's the anti-rattle felt in the hole that the fuse panel cover clips in to...

Ah ha!! I have got to get me a better monitor - or better eyes!!:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a short in my X that I'm trying to track down too. The 3rd brake light stays on even though it takes about a week to drain the battery.

Back