1. for access to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews and discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2001 Explorer vacuum hose leak.

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by donaldwells, March 6, 2010.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. donaldwells

donaldwells New Member

Year and Model:
      2001 explorer
      Have a 2001 Explorer and a few months ago the check engine light came on. I replaced the fuel cap, disconnected the battery to clear the code and things seemed ok. After a couple months the it came back on. I brought it to Auto-Zone and the tested it and said I have leak in one of the vacuum hoses. Does anyone know where I can find out which hoses to check and the best way to figure out if its leaking. Thanks.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Rteas48192

Rteas48192 New Member

City, State:
      Downriver, MI
      Year and Model:
      2001 Explorer Sport 4X4
      How to find a vaccum leak

Hello, I was just under the hood of the explorer doing this today. My source is Automotive forums. com. V6 4.0 SOHC This is best to do when the engine is first fired up (cold). Start it up, pop the hood (of Course) Spray starting fluid along the various vaccum hoses coming from the Air intake box. theres at least 2 there see if the idle increses at all. keep spraying you can go along the Fuel injectors, but kinda hard to get to some of them. also clean the MAF mass Airflow Sensor (right next to air box) with throttle body cleaner. I thought i had an upper intake gasket leak untill today. But we will see if the check engine light comes back on. It was running pretty smooth after this. I had the P1074 P1071? or something like that. It was Right bank lean, Left bank lean. Hope this helps good luck!!

Last edited: March 7, 2010
    4. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars