2001 Sport Trac 4x4 does not engage. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Sport Trac 4x4 does not engage.

larryc2

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport trac
Thinking of buying 2001 sport trac
runs great
shifted into 4 wheel and drove around in yard
switch to 4 wheel and now get nothing
checked shift motor and fuses
what else could be the problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's probably the 4x4 module. It's located inside the cab behind the kick panel on the passenger side. First try unplugging the module and cleaning with contact cleaner and plugging back in a few times and see if that helps. That trick didn't work for me but it's worth a try. I had to replace mine and the 4x4 works perfect now.

I have a new module and i can hear it clicking when i switch to 4w hi
I am wondering if it is in the front wheel censers. also where can i get a schematic
for the wiring.

2001 sport trac 4x4 problem

After reading the posts in this forum, I was able to fix the 4x4 problem I had with my 01 Sport Trac. The 4x4 would not engage. I heard no clicking sound from the passenger side; the 4x4 High and 4x4 Low lights did NOT light up when I started the truck. I located the "Transfer Shift Control Module" behind the kick plate, under the glove box just in front of the passenger side door. I unplugged the wiring from the TSCM at the plugs and blew on the connections. When I plugged everything back in, the 4X4 worked.

Nice when a fix is free isn't it?:thumbsup: You might want to apply some dielectric compound to those terminals to keep the corrosion from reoccurring.:)

hello

i also have a 4x4 issue
the diffrents in mine is it does come on , i here it click and the lights turn on
but after driving for a few minutes it will turn off the try to come back on .
sometimes it will most of thetime it will not cink back up to ingade,this only happens in 4hi
i can drive all day in for in 4 lo with no issue and help would be helpfull

thx
nick

My fix only lasted a few days. I just bought the truck and I took it back to the dealer for repair. They ran a diagnostic and said that there was a problem with the contact points. I was told that if the module was broken, the 4x4 wouldn't come and go, it would just not work at all. The shop is looking into pigtails, wiring, etc. The problem with the 4x4 did seem to be caused by cold and/ or damp weather.

yes that is the same for me also

I've now been told the motor that engages the transfer case was faulty. They had just replaced the motor two weeks ago. Hopefully I'll get the truck back tomorrow. I'm tired of driving a Dodge Caravan.

i know this is a year later, but did you ever get your 4x4 working, photog1? I'm having the same issue. Tried the plug but that didn't do anything. No lights, no noises, nothing when i flip the 4x4 switch. I too have an 01 sport trac. just wondering. thanks

zach
jordanzach01@aol.com

Back