• Register Today It's free!

2001 sporttrac abs brake problems

skip15

Reaction score
City, State
Laconia NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport trac
My 2001 sporttrac is having a abs brake problem the abs light doesn't come on but when i slow down almost to a stop the abs brakes come on is it the sensors

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be. You'll need to put a scanner on it. Usually the code reader that Autozone/Advance will use for free, can't pull ABS data or codes. You'll need to go to a shop, or find a friend that has a "real" scanner.

Thanks I thought I might

computer had no errors

I went and had the computer hooked up but had no errors I also replaced the rotors incase the exiter ring might be bad and still the same problem

I went and had the computer hooked up but had no errors
The regular ODB II scanners don't read ABS error codes. It takes some other expensive reader. You will probably have to take it to a shop to do that.

I also replaced the rotors incase the exiter ring might be bad and still the same problem
Huh? In the front ABS rings are in the hubs. On the rear the ABS ring is inside the differential attached to the Ring gear.

My rear differential. You can see the ABS ring to the left of the ring gear.

4107powertrax_lockright_rear_8_8.jpg

front hub

is the exciter part of rhe wheel bearing

is the exciter part of rhe wheel bearing
Are you 2wd or 4wd? I don't know about 2wd models. It's probably different. My trucks are 4wd/Awd and the abs exciter ring is inside the hub/wheelbearing assemblies. The 4wd hub/wheelbearing assembly is not serviceable by the home mechanic. You buy the whole thing with wheel studs and all.

Is it hard to replace the hub unit I used to be a mechanic I've replaced many wheel bearing but on these new truck I've notice you need special tools

Same problem here 2001 1st gen ST. Had the shop put their wonder box on, and all sensors read up to about 12 mph, then all dropped out (no readings). Plus no codes. Is this normal? And if the ABS light is burned out, will the system still work?

I have the same problem, I pulled the fuse over the summer. put it back for winter the problem is still occuring. I plan on replacing the hubs and hope that fixes the issue.

Which fuse and did it work?

I have the same problem, I pulled the fuse over the summer. put it back for winter the problem is still occuring. I plan on replacing the hubs and hope that fixes the issue.

I know this post is older but can you tell me which fuse you pulled and if pulling that fuse helped the problem when it was out?

That is common when a sensor is failing intermittently. It won't set a code. If you have a scanner that will give you live data from the abs, you can usually see the dropout at low speed. But that is almost surely the problem. You need the scanner, or a scope, to figure out which sensor is the problem.

I did go to few different shop and scanned ABS and no cod I did change pad routers and also rear sensor and the same thing happened as soon I put back the fuse if fuse is out everything is normal except dash light I did spent almost $ 1000 and no resolve this problem any advice help pleas "dashlight is off when fuse is on " so no light for abs error or any cod

thanks

jerry

Back