2002-2005 FAQ regarding lifts, tires, etc | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002-2005 FAQ regarding lifts, tires, etc

macknos94

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Harrisburg, pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 mountaineer premier
I'm only on my phone so if you want to add info add it no questions just info to remove all the replete

Engine mods:
4.6 2v: most 2v mustang parts will fit our v8
Basic mods:
Intake: k&n, DIY home depot intake
Exhaust: many different routes to go so I'm gonna say search
Throttle body: light mods(non-FI) 70mm works perfectly, heavy mods( forced induction or built motor) 75+mm, mustang tb will fit
E-fan: great mod to help remove some rotating mass from you engine.
Cams: many will not go this far in modding so I'm gonna say call a performance supplier.
Tuner: sct is one of the very best out there. Contact.... on this forum for prices and custom tunes.
Underdrive pulleys: they are a great add on but a no go if you draw a lot of power (system, compressor)

Many of these mods will also work for the 4.0

Wheels:
Factory wheel specs:
Size:16x7.5 and 17x7.5
Offset: +43or +45??????

Aftermarket:
Size:Any rim from 16s to 24s have been installed
Offset: it depends on rim width but +43 to -12 have been fitted so search and sharpen your math skills.

Tire size:
Stock height: 265/75 is the most common used with no rubbing.
3 inch Body lift: 265s to be safe but people have fit 285s with some trimming.
Btf spacers: 265s are recommended.
Body lift and btf spacers: 285s

Will add more info tomarrow
Is there anyway we can get this stuck?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Macknos-

You might consider adding this to you "read before posting" proposed sticky:

Explorers have a fully independant front and rear suspension. This makes lifting these truck a bit more complex than lifting your average Heep, ranger, and full-size truck.

You have 3 options:

1) 3" Body Lift. This lift inerts a spacer between the chassis and body. Does not change your factory suspension geometry. Bigger tires but mediocre ground clearance improvement (from 29" factory tire to 32" tire only nets 1.5" clearance increase). This lift keeps factory suspension geometery and factory ride. The only change will be due to your change in tires. (All-terrain ride a bit more truck-like, stiffer) LOOK HERE: Body Lift: How-to

2) Spacer Lift: This Lift Inserts a spacer between the top of the strut and the strut mounting location. This allows factory travel, but that amount of travel has been moved down by 1.5 - 2.5". Your spacer dimension correlates directly to an increase in clearance before including larger diameter tires. Ride is pretty close to stock. You WILL need a alignment after this lift.
Options are BTF Fabrication and TRUXX. The BTF kit is a direct bolt on developed by a member of this forum. A 2.25" spacer kit will net you 3.5" of lift due to your suspension geometry. Here's the install of that lift kit: BTF Fabrication Spacer install

3) Coil Spring: This lift uses longer (stiffer) springs than from the factory on factory length struts. Your suspension travel may actually decrease with this lift. Your up down-travel will decrease due to struts now riding in a slightly extended position all the time. Lift height may not be exactly what you order, due to the age of your vehicle factory springs may have "settled". You will need an alignment after this lift. Look here:How-to: Coil Spring Lift

You can combine a body lift with a spacer lift, or a body lift and a coil spring lift. Longer coils with spacers is not a good idea (too much stress on your ball joints).

what about the rancho quick lift? I had spacers 2/1.5 spacers and realized when i went offroading the spindles slammed the coil springs and killed them in the front.... to be honest the ex does way better stock! ok ok ok getting to my point i bought the quick lifts and they are SWEEEEETTTTTTT!

This is what I'm looking for so add all info you know is correct. let's get rid of all the unnecessary new threads. I'm on my phone so its a pain to post links

Any reason this can't be "Stuck"

Maybe re-title it: "Thinking about a lift & tires? Read this first"

I want to try and add any info that is asked over and over again that way the 3rd gen area can keep helping eachother out instead of threads getting lost do to repost threads.

Can we please get this stuck? I know I alone have answered the "where to get a lift", "what tire size" and " what performance mods" so much that I have them saved on my phone so I can just copy and paste. lol I feel this is the reason why a lot of old members aren't on this site anymore. There are only a slight few that have stuck around and a lot of the ones that left were the most helpful. Hopefully we will see donners and all the vets on here again some day.

Stuck and re-named

I was wondering if anyone has ever looked into the Expeditions struts. Are they longer or heavy springs? Wonder if they would bolt up and lift an Explorer up a little.

Is there a 265/75R17? I'm starting to look for tires now because I will most likely need them next spring. I have 17" wheels on my ex. Should I be looking for 75s or 70s? Also, what load rating do I want under my ex?

70 series and i think the load rating available for the tires are usually c and d i believe and i dont think it matters but dont quote me

hello,

Does anyone have recent experience with the rancho quickstruts? I ordered them and will arrive end october? do you need new mounts?
thanks

renee

i dont think you will need new upper a arms but you CAN NOT put a coil spacer lift on them ... i dont know if that was in your future or not ... and welcome to EF

Help me please

Whats up guys? I have a question, I just recently bought the 3" body lift talked about on the other thread and am planning on buying the BTF spacers this Friday, to the point. It snows out here in Utah and its starting to get real chilly fast. I am currently running 305/40/R22 under my 2002 Ford Explorer Limited V8 4.6L stock height and there's some rubbing. I came across 285/55/R22's that will definitely give me traction during the winter months, my question is, will the tires fit with the body lift and btf spacer and will the tires fit in the same rim. Please, any information (enlightenment) is greatly appreciated.

help please i have an 02 explorer xlt and i cant find a cheap 3" body lift anywhere please help

Which 02-05 Explorer has a stock LSD?

Which 02-05 Explorer has a stock LSD?

Depends on the axle code. Some came with a open axle and some came with a limited sliip. Post the axle code number on the door or on the rear axle tag.

Well I know I have an open diff. But I was wondering invade u went to the junkyard and I know what years or model to ask for or is there is a certain diff code I should be looking for

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very helpful, I want to get new tires for winter but I want bigger tires. Also plan on getting the BTF Spacers but read there've been problems with the ball joints.

Back