2002-2005 FAQ regarding lifts, tires, etc | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002-2005 FAQ regarding lifts, tires, etc

Heres the before and after pic of Mr. Eddie :D

9a4aa330-65ed-4b90-b7a9-87446d57ba56.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tyre size

Hey, got some rancho ql's too go in my Ex and looks like 265/75r16 are the way too go for tyres, wondering if anyone on here has tried 235/85r16's? Same outside diameter as 265/75 but would the clearance be better?

Tire Size

Does anyone know how 285/75/16's would fit on 16x8 pro comp steelies with 4 inch backspacing?
Would these rub with a btf spacer lift or should I just bump it down to 265/75/16's?

Thanks

I bought a 4x4 Ex a few months ago and want to lift it up. I have read through a lot of these threads but I still need advice. Ultimately, I would love to have a 3" spacer lift, extended UCAs, a 3" body lift, maybe 2" wheel spacers, and some fat tires (285s or 33"?). Realistically, I can't do that right now, and it may never be practical because I may be limited by spare tire storage. I pull a travel trailer, load bikes + canoe on the roof, and do some mild off roading. It's my beater, not a daily driver. Anyways, I'm rambling, so a few direct questions:

1) What is the largest tire that will fit on my stock 17" rims?
2) What is the largest spare tire I can get under the truck? I read 265. On 17s? What about with minor modifications?
3) I just bought brand new tires, and bought them too small - 245/65R17. If I do the 3" spacer lift now (with body lift & bigger tires later), do you think the tires will look way too stupid small? (I know, subjective question, skip it).
4) Why level? OEM intended the rake, right? I tow a heavy load. So maybe 2.25"/2.25" spacers instead of 2.25"/1.75"?

5) ***QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY***- maybe I will never get to 6" of lift and big ole mudders (unless I mount the spare on the front bumper! Lol). Maybe 3" of total lift and 265s is my end game (Awwww dang!) So then, what about:
- a 1.5" body lift (way easier than a 3" body lift, right?)
- and 1.5" of lift from spacers? ***So would I even need the extended upper control arms?***
- 265/75R17 on the stock rims? No rubbing? Wheel spacers? 275s?
- limiting straps needed? Drive fast on rough fire roads.
- ok to tow heavy loads?
- I should probably replace struts too, 160k mi. Recommendations?

Thanks for any input you might have!

Running 285's ???

Here are some before and after shots after my 2" wheel spacers!

HI, are you running 285's with just 3' body lift kit ???
because i'm planning to get my new tires i already install 3"BL just don't know if with just wheel spacers will fit 285/75R16 with no rubbing. thanks

2012-02-25084938_Newark_Delaware_US-Copy.jpg

2012-02-27150540_Wilmington_Delaware_US.jpg

Hey guys I am wondering if anyone has had any funky tire wear after spacers were added and got an alignment. I am wondering if the inside corners start to wear due to the change in geometry when hitting bumps?

HI, are you running 285's with just 3' body lift kit ???
because i'm planning to get my new tires i already install 3"BL just don't know if with just wheel spacers will fit 285/75R16 with no rubbing. thanks

I am only running a 3" BL and 2" wheel spacers. I had no rubbing with my original bumper but after I swapped to and XLT bumper I do get rubbing mid turn but only in reverse.

285's & wheel spacer

THANKS !!! for that information now I'm more confidently to get my 285's and you said 2 inches wheel spacer, any brand recomendation , has to be hubcentric wheel spacer ? any driven problem running wheels spacer ? are they trustly ? , maybe if I add just in front RANCHO QUICK LIFT will not rub it all because my after market wheels are 16x8 0 offset with 4.5" backspace.

thanks again,

I am only running a 3" BL and 2" wheel spacers. I had no rubbing with my original bumper but after I swapped to and XLT bumper I do get rubbing mid turn but only in reverse.

Spare tire?

So, for you guys running 285s, where do you put your spare tire?

Or do you use a smaller spare tire?
Isn't it bad to run one tire smaller?
Is it OK to have a smaller spare if you don't go too far?
Does the brown wire mod help here?

The 285 tires do not fit in the rear under-body location, if I remember correctly.

One would need to secure a spare 285 tire elsewhere, such as on the roof.

Using a tire of a different diameter as a spare, even for short distances is not recommended. The smaller tire-diameter will have to rotate at a faster speed than the opposing larger tire-diameter, which will adversely affect the ABS sensors, 4X4 controls, and differential's load distribution. A friend of mine also with an explorer had issues with a spare tire that was of the same type as the regulars, but the tread was significantly thicker than the regulars, causing an unbalanced axle and sensor issues. (i.e., rotate all your tires regularly).

Remember though that 285 is the width of the tire in millimeters, so while it is closely related to the diameter, it isn't a direct indicator. Meaning ultimately if your 285's tire-diameter is 33", as long as you find another 33" tire to use as a spare (even if the width is smaller, say 265 or 245) then you would fulfill the requirements for a short-trip spare.

-Dubya

Great info, thanks Dubya.

Kinda looking at some new rims. Was wondering how heavy the stock 17 inch wheels are?? I have newer 255/65/17 tires so I'd like to keep the rims 17's. I've been looking at some black Crager Soft 8's. Anything I need to know?? I know the bolt spacing is 5x114 but what is the backspacing??? I don't want the tires to stick out past the fenders.

How do you like your 255/65/17 tires?

On our 2003 Explorer with the factory suspension and rims.

I'm thinking of switching from the stock P245/65/17s to Michelin LTX M-S2 in P255/65R17.

Will the Michelin LTX M-S2 in P255/65R17 fit without a lift or cutting/trimming?

Which one?

Howdy everyone,

I am currently trying to decided whether to go with a 3 inch body lift and run 285's or 3" btf spacers and run 265's
Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on which may be better?

Thanks everyone

Howdy everyone,

I am currently trying to decided whether to go with a 3 inch body lift and run 285's or 3" btf spacers and run 265's
Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on which may be better?

Thanks everyone

I believe if you go with 3" BTF you are also going to have to get longer uppers to counter the geometry change...whereas the body lift has no affect on suspension it would just require a bit more work!
Just my two cents...I am running 285's with a 3" body lift and 2" wheel spacers!

I agree with JDHamhock. Body lift is cheaper overall. Won't need to get an alignment afterwards either. 265s will fit fine on a 3" body lift also, shouldn't need wheel spacers unless you go with 285s.

I believe if you go with 3" BTF you are also going to have to get longer uppers to counter the geometry change...whereas the body lift has no affect on suspension it would just require a bit more work!
Just my two cents...I am running 285's with a 3" body lift and 2" wheel spacers!

Thank you, and Ronnin,

I think im gonna go the body lift route.

Do you have any more pics of your rig jdhamhock? I like the look you have with the bumper swap.

I am also considering a lift, just been waiting to pull the trigger. I have an issue up front where I get a clunk in my front end sometimes when turning & backing. I think I should get that sorted out first. Replaced worn upper control arms and did not help. I have 4WD on stock 245/65 R17s.

Anyways, I read through all, or most, of these threads a while back, and this is my understanding, if I remember correctly, I could be wrong:
- We should be able to run 265s with no lift at all. Isn't that correct?
- 265 is the largest spare that will fit under the truck, and it has to match.
- BTF spacers 2.25" front / 2" rear would give 3" lift & reduced travel but stock-like ride on the street. Also, highly recommended are extended upper control arms (and probably straps too, if you off-road)
- Smaller BTF spacers (I.e. 1") should not need UCAs
- for body lifts use Ranger kits, I think 1" or 2" is straightforward but 3" requires bumper mount fabrication

So, I would love 285s, but the spare tire storage is a deal breaker for me. Plus, I don't want to buy rims. I don't know how big of a tire can go on my stock 17s".

If 265 is the biggest I can go, then I shouldn't need any lift at all, I think. But I would still like to do BTF spacers and UCAs to gain off-road clearance. And then that's it for now, because I have almost new 245s. Then, later, when I need tires I would go to 265s. I worry a little that it might look funny, in the mean time, with the 3" lift and the 245s.

Then, strictly for looks, so less likely, maybe later some day the 1-1/2" body lift? Wheel spacers for wider, "crawler" stance?

Maybe 285s some day if I could work out the spare tire issue? Can't do roof or rear cuz I carry bikes & canoe plus tow a trailer. Front bumper? Yee haw, SoCal hillbilly! Lol :)

In reality, I am reluctant to do much at all because I tow a lot, and I worry about that. The truck has a lot of miles and is not a daily driver. I don't put many miles on it but I wamp it a little and I tow a pretty heavy load across several states every year.

Anyways, sorry for the ramble, throwing my 2 cents in and curious if there is any advice for me.

Thx, b

You've done your homework well. No concerns raised with the above statements.

-Dubya

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thx Dub.
B

Back