2002 4x4 problems | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 4x4 problems

That is the other crappy thing, how the heck do you know if you have traction control? I have the same issue in trying to buy one. I have a limited with the tow package and it has the big rear diff but I don't believe it has traction control as I beleive if you do you would have the ability to disable it.

I called 2 dealers and both took my vin and both gave me different part numbers and one was 569 cdn and the other 482.

I'll tell you what, the US Vegas shop is going to get my business. I am all for supporting local business but when they are pirates I'll buy from somewhere else.

i understand your problem and knowing what works and what doesn't, I will offer a full refund if the part doesn't work, What I was told to look at was the tm153 number and that should cover it. But I only want $120 for a part that sells for $180 so taking a chance might be worth the shot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am going to undo the glove box and take a look at what mine says on it this week.

traction control

my Explorer was built in early 2001 and does not have TC. If I recall, that feature was phased in on units built starting in the fall of 2001 (I debated waiting).

Every vehicle I've seen with TC has a way to turn it off.

I'm going to match my module's engineering number with the list on rockauto.com and hope for the best.

Well, I provided a Ford parts place on ebay with my VIN and they said my truck needs Ford part number 2C5Z-7E453-A and this is for the one without traction control.

So I had a problem with my 2002 Ford Explorer Limited. The 4x4 would only activate when the vehicle was warm. I ordered 1L2Z7E453A, installed it and now it works cold.

I still don't get the clicks people are talking about though..

LOVE IT!! Did not order the part yet, due to my financial situation, and we just got slammed with a snow storm, just my luck. lol

So the one in my truck right now is a 1L24-7H473-AH which according to older posts is now a 1L2Z-7E45-A which is supposed to have traction control which I don't have.... So confused.

with the auto 4x4 should lights come on to indicate its on? I know my 4x4 works but I went up a hill that wasnt plowed while I had it in A4x4 and it went up no problem so I doubt it was with just the rear wheels.

I must say the 4x4 has really impressed me with almost 2 feet of snow on the ground and not many roads cleared ive seen many cars stuck but not mine =)

So the one in my truck right now is a 1L24-7H473-AH which according to older posts is now a 1L2Z-7E45-A which is supposed to have traction control which I don't have.... So confused.

Look on the inside of the driver side door, when was the truck manufactured?

If your truck was built in Louisville:

Prior to 3/4/2002 you need 1L2Z-7E453-A

Built on or after 3/4/2002 you need 2C5Z-7E453-A

If your truck was built in St. Louis:

Prior to 3/11/2002 you need 1L2Z-7E453-A

Built on or after 3/11/2002 you need 2C5Z-7E453-A

As I posted in early 09, 4x4 was dead, no nothing. Was waiting to order the part cause I spent the $$$ on a couple new window regulators. Then in November, my battery went dead. (7 years for the factory battery) Bought a new one (Duralast) at Autozone and put it in. After a few big snowstorms here in Nebraska, I realized my 4x4 auto was working. Took it on a side street and the 4 high and low both engaged and lit up on the dash! Couple days later, my battery was dead. Threw the charger on it so I could start my Explorer, but after started the 4x4 auto, high, and low wouldn't work. Pull the battery and took it back to Autozone, it was bad and they replaced it. After I installed it, my 4x4 auto, high, and low are working again. For how long? I don't know. I found the cheapest with shipping for the control module is Rock Auto for $185 total.

Guess my question(s) now is/are...

Does a bad module cause a new battery to run down and go bad? and will my 4x4 continue to work or will I still need to replace it?

Super cold night, Explorer turned right over like brand new. 4x4 wouldn't work. Nada.
Gonna order a new mod now!

what did you unplug to put into 2wd. I think mine is stuck in 4wd high. Like to know what to do to see what it is in, 2wd or 4wd.

Fixed it for free!!

I have a 2002 Limited. This week the traction control light came on, and 4x4 hi & 4x4 Low light would blink 3 times every couple of minutes. I do have a traction contol disable switch and it did nothing. 4X4 hi / low switches did not activate the 4x4 & no switch indication either. After reading this thread I set out this morning to troubleshoot the system. Before removing & jumpering the transfer case motor, I made a short ground wire & tried to engage 4x4 with the truck fully lifted off the ground. Traction control light stayed on ( ABS light now came on as I expected). Don't think the ground jumper helped, so I then disconnected the positive battery terminal, and then turned the ignition switch on for about 10 seconds. Battery terminal hooked back up after a couple of minutes. Again, started the truck and the traction control message & warning indication went out. 4X4 hi & Lo engaged (transfer case motor was now working). ABS stayed on (expected this as it was still off the ground. Fabricated a permanent bonding jumper from transfer case bolt to the frame just to prevent that from being any issue in the future. Lowered from jack stands & drove it in the snow. ABS light went out, no more traction control indications, 4X4 works in hi & lo, traction control can also be switched off again. The battery reset procedure apparently worked. Glad I didn't have to run to the junk yard looking for a $300 4X4 module when it's 11 degrees outside. Thanks for the help with this thread!!! Now I have to drill out a bolt I broke off trying to get a frame ground point, but that can wait. Lots of snow this week in Endicott NY.

My wife's 2002 Explorer 4X4 just all of a sudden didn't work. No lights, no shifting , no clicks from the module. I was convinced after reading these posts it was the module and she ordered one off eBay. Luckily they didn't ship it without her sending her VIN.

I read the post above this one and decided to do a reset like they did with disconnecting the battery. I honestly believed it would do no good being convinced it was the module.

I disconnected the battery positive terminal, turned on the key for 10 seconds, left the battery disconnected for a couple minutes and then reconnected the positive lead.

To my surprise...the 4X4 worked. Had lights on dash, shifting and could hear the module click.

If you haven't tried doing this yet, do it. It saved my wife $195.

Glad to hear it worked out. Mine has been good for the past week since I wrote about resetting. Lots of info on this site.

Well, it looks like I am going to have to try this before ordering one. It just seems like a pain because the manual says you have to let the truck run for a period of time ect for it to relearn the idle and fuel trim strategy. Then you have to drive it to relearn the adaptive strategy for the transmission. Thats what the book says and sounds like a pain in the butt to me, did you guys do that?

New mod was put in 4 days ago. 4x4 working perfect now. No problems. Cheepest $$$ on the module WITH SHIPPING was "Auto Parts Direct to You" Paid 189.99 w/ free shipping and no sales tax! Thanks to everyone for the help and information.

I am trying the battery disconnect thing at the moment and it is not working. Now when I reconneted it I am getting the blink 3 times when before nothing was happening. Aren't I supposed to lose the radio station pre sets when I do this? It did not seem like it reset, so I am trying it again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Radio presets, alarm & all other settings were not changed when I disconnected the batt. No problem with eng or transmission either.

Did you turn the key on after batt disconnect?

Back