2002 5R55S Transmission Interchange... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 5R55S Transmission Interchange...

scritt83

Reaction score
City, State
Harrisburg,IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Expl. S Trac,02 Expl.
I have 4.0L 4x4 Explorer with the 5R55S Trans.

Is all the 5R55S trans from 02-05 interchangeable? I've searched the threads but haven't really found an answer. May have over looked a post though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have 4.0L 4x4 Explorer with the 5R55S Trans.

Is all the 5R55S trans from 02-05 interchangeable? I've searched the threads but haven't really found an answer. May have over looked a post though.
@scritt83
As I understand it, early gen 3s (02-03?) had 5R55W, which has different gear ratios, which screw up the PCM data. imp

I used an 05 , in my 04 , with no problems .
I don't think there is a gear ratio change , but an upgrade in hardware , between the years .

@scritt83
As I understand it, early gen 3s (02-03?) had 5R55W, which has different gear ratios, which screw up the PCM data. imp

Should've stated I have an 02... They started using 5r55s after 03/02 build dates...

My 06/02 build '02 2wd XLS has the 5r55w trans in it . . . .

Again i believe the changes were hardware , not gear ratio .
The computers in our fords ar self learning as in adaptive learning , so a gear ratio change will not effect it .

Again i believe the changes were hardware , not gear ratio .
The computers in our fords ar self learning as in adaptive learning , so a gear ratio change will not effect it .
@ashleyroachclip
This would be nice if only it could work that way. No amount of "adaptive learning" can change the way the computer "looks at" shaft speeds, and compares them to determine whether there is slippage or breakage of components like clutches and bands. It has no other way to watch over the functioning of those parts. It responds to unexpected relative shaft speed differences by calling out "improper gear ratio.......".

Quoting the ATSG Transmission Manual:
5R55W: 1st gear 3.22, 2nd. 2.41, 3rd. 1.54, 4th. 1.00, 5th. 0.75, reverse 3.07
5R55S: " " 3.22, " 2.29, " 1.54, " 1.00, " 0.71, " 3.07

Thus, the "S" PCM, for example, constantly compares the ratio of shaft speeds between the input (turbine) shaft and intermidiate shaft, and the intermediate and output shafts. If the "W" ttransmission were substituted for the "S", the relative speeds would be "out of range for the expected), and a warning code thrown. imp

You sir are half way on track
Only second gear ,according to your post has a different ratio.
And that is not a huge difference either .
The computer monitors vehicle speed , throttle position and engine load , to process the transmission thru the appropriate gear .
And I am certain , you have seen the many videos , where after replacing the solinoid pack , there is a relearn process for the transmission .
Not trying to be an ass , just don't want bad information to clutter this post

You sir are half way on track
Only second gear ,according to your post has a different ratio.
And that is not a huge difference either .
The computer monitors vehicle speed , throttle position and engine load , to process the transmission thru the appropriate gear .
And I am certain , you have seen the many videos , where after replacing the solinoid pack , there is a relearn process for the transmission .
Not trying to be an ass , just don't want bad information to clutter this post
@ashleyroachclip
Well, your reasoning is sound. I base my belief on the fact that reportedly those who have substituted one transmission for the other experienced codes thrown detecting the difference in shaft speeds. Reportedly. Who knows? Don't think you're being an ass at all. The more factual information spread, the better! imp

Back