2002 Eddie Bauer Explorer air bag code 33 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Eddie Bauer Explorer air bag code 33

I was getting code 3-3. I looked under my driver seat, and saw 2 connectors, one for the power seat and the other (I figured) for the seatbelt pretensioner. I wiggled the green wires and one easily pulled out. These were the two thin green wires going into the green connector. I brought it to my mechanic and explained the problem; for $45 he pulled out the connector, disassembled it and re-soldered the wires. Bingo. Code cleared. He didn't even disconnect the battery, just started the car 5 or 6 times afterward and the code cleared (not sure if that's recommended though). Thanks for the help, EF!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello All,

This is an old conversation, but I'm having the same problem on my '03 explorer. Code 34.
I'm just a little confused because I'm seeing a couple of different answers for that code. In some places I've read that the 34 is "Driver Air Bag Circuit Resistance Low" . So I was leaning towards my clockspring because my cruise control has been out too. (horn works). On the other hand, info on this thread says it is the passenger seat pretensioner. I think what I've learned is that the LFC code list is not universal for every ford make/model.

I have not messed around with the yellow plug underneath the passenger seat. Perhaps I'll do that first.

Does anyone have any recommendations or thoughts?

Thank you very much for your help!

any thoughts on my post above?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I was getting the airbag code 4-2 (or was it 2 -4? ). It was not the drivers underseat resistor so I took it to the dealer. They replaced the drivers seat resistor, but still had the code. The problem was the airbag computer, which they replaced to fix the issue and it cost me $400. This is the only major repair my 2002 Explorer has needed since I bought it new but it still stings.

Rumple

any thoughts on my post above?

Thanks in advance for your help!

34 here

This is an old conversation, but I'm having the same problem on my '03 explorer. Code 34.

Mate,

I've been getting the same error code on my Explorer since I bought it second hand. I believe I got the same model year as you but mine is manufactured in 2001. I also found conflicting info on the net -- some people say 34 is for air bag resistance, other passenger's pretensioner.

Did you get around fixing/diagnosing it?

The 3-3 code was the connector under the driver's seat. I had to pull out and re-solder the wires (or replace the whole loom). I think 3-4 is passenger, check the thin wires under the seat at a connector. Mine were kicked loose by a passenger in the back.

How do you know what the code is? In my 2002 Explorer Ltd my airbag light just started doing this. It flashes, but I haven't bothered counting how many times (should I?), then it just stays lit.

I can check my wiring harnesses to see if one is loose, but I'm curious to know how to tell what the flashing is trying to tell me... besides certain death on impact! LOL!

How do you know what the code is? In my 2002 Explorer Ltd my airbag light just started doing this. It flashes, but I haven't bothered counting how many times (should I?), then it just stays lit.

I can check my wiring harnesses to see if one is loose, but I'm curious to know how to tell what the flashing is trying to tell me... besides certain death on impact! LOL!

It's not very difficult. In case you haven't figured it out yet it there's a certain flashing cycle. It flashes an X number of times then there's a longer pause. That's the first digit in the error code. After this longer pause, it starts flashing again and you get your second digit for the error code. The whole cycle repeats 5 times or so. Write down the code and look it up on the net.

The 3-3 code was the connector under the driver's seat. I had to pull out and re-solder the wires (or replace the whole loom). I think 3-4 is passenger, check the thin wires under the seat at a connector. Mine were kicked loose by a passenger in the back.

I checked the connectors under the passenger's seat visually and they seem to be fine. There are three, none are disconnected, the wires no matter how thin don't have any apparent damage. Is there a way they can be tested with a multimeter?

My code is 34.

34=Driver Side Air Bag Circuit Low Resistance or Shorted

The lights flash in sequence I gathered. Mine flash three times, then four times, and it does this 5-6 sets then stays on. I looked under my drivers seat, and it looks like the harness with the green harness is a bit dodgy. Seems like the plastic houseing may be loose or something. I'm gonna have to disconnect the battery and pull seat to have a looky-loo.

Thanks guys!

This thread and others on the forum give conflicting info on what the code is for which seat, often within a single thread!

Ford's TSB for the 2002-2002 Explorer (Article No. 03-11-3 - 06/09/03 -ELECTRICAL - AIRBAG WARNING LAMP -ILLUMINATED WITH DIAGNOSTIC -TROUBLE CODE -(DTC) B2292), found in AllDATA, clearly states that 33 is the drivers and 34 is the passenger.

And yet the wiki.answers link that miker104 posted says the opposite.

Do I trust the TSB?

The next question is, since I have very little money (certainly not $400+), can someone who's done this let me know what tools I'll need. The AllDATA does help but I can't follow some of the instructions as they assume things that only a dealer would have.

Thanks!

Anyone know how to remove the 2 wires in the resistor under the driver seat, I got a code 33 ans the one wire is broken off flush with the connector
thanks
Jeff

I had the same 3-3 code on the airbag pop up a few days ago and was driving me nuts.
I thought it had to do with the actual airbag until I read this thread and it all made sense. I recently had an interrior detail done focusing on the dirty carpet. These connectors under the seat must have been forced during the carpet scrubbing. After reading this thread I disconnected and checked for loose wire terminals. I re-connected and light went out. My hats off for ExplorerDMB! Thanks :salute:

Hey guys mine does this 4 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 then steady light ?

Any ideas ??

Hi guys My SUV today started blinking the AIRBAG light when i TUrned on the suv it blinks 3 times then again 3 times and continues on about 27 times after that any ideas???

Hi guys My SUV today started blinking the AIRBAG light when i TUrned on the suv it blinks 3 times then again 3 times and continues on about 27 times after that any ideas???

Light Flash Code (LFC) 33 is for the driver side seatbelt pretensioner. Check the connections under the driver seat that go to the seatbelt buckle. There is a TSB about this issue. Check out this thread it's a good read: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299020

Good luck. :biggthump

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Guys I went in my SUV played wit the yellow plug wire cant unplug cant figure out how to remove it...So I jiggled the wire the light went off this is on passenger side tho?
As soon as I moved the seat back the light came back on any ideas???
I played wit drivers side to no difference

But it blinks 3 then 3

Back