1. for access to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews and discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2002 explorer rear diff fluid change

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by ivrb, October 15, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. ivrb

ivrb Member

City, State:
      southern cal
      Year and Model:
      2000 xls
      Any one have an idea the steps to change diff fluid from the rear diff, its independent suspension

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. my1zamboni

my1zamboni Member

City, State:
      Maine
      Year and Model:
      2002 Explorer XLT
    4. esclamada

esclamada Active Member

City, State:
      KCMO
      Year and Model:
      '02 Mountaineer AWD V8
    5. Exproblems

Exproblems Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Orchard Park, N.Y.
      Year and Model:
      '05 Explorer XLT 4.0L
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Besides the info you got from other people in here on this rear diif fluid change job, you will need to find out if your rear diff is a "Limited Slip" differential. If you DO HAVE a Limited Slip Diff, you will need to add 4 ounces of Friction Modifier along with the new gear oil. Rear Diff holds approx 1.60 to 1.75 quarts of oil, so 2 quarts of new gear oil will do the job, Mobil 1 75W-140 Full Synthetic or equivalent brand. Friction Modifier comes in a squeeze tube and costs about $6-$7 in a parts store or buy Fords own brand from a Ford dealership. Ford recommends this additive BTW for Limited Slip diff's.

6. Thomas Mackin

Thomas Mackin New Member

City, State:
      Eagle River,Wi
      Year and Model:
      2002 XLT
      Ford also recommends changing what they called for to the heavier oil. I have had great luck with Amsoil 75-140 which is thetype Ford now recommends. Also I used the Amsoil friction modifier because I have the limited slip. If you do the front one use the 75-90 and no modifier but you will have to use your pump to suck out the old through the fill port because ther is no drain. A good idea if you have high mileage and use the 4x4. Do not forget to put a sealer on the threads of the plugs.

7. RickM

RickM Active Member

Year and Model:
      '02 Explorer 4.6 XLT 4x4
      I don't have limited slip but I do suffer from the all-to-common rear end whine. I filled with one bottle of Ford's heavier diff oil and a bottle of Lucas oil treatment. The whine is about at 1/3 the level it was before. Better than I expected.

Lucas states that one could use their "additive" exclusively in a diff. Not sure if this would result in better performance or a quieter ride.
      Also, the stuff is a real bear to pump due to its honey-like viscosity.