2002 explorer rear window washer not working???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 explorer rear window washer not working????

julia_gulia4697

Reaction score
City, State
Adirondack Mtns, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT & 2008 Eddie
The Rear window washer on my 2002 XLT isnt working............it makes the 'motor noise', the wiper wipes, but no fluid comes out. The fluid tank is full....................What could be the problem?? HELP!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i had the same problem a while ago...i found the hose that connects to the back window came out of place...when u look in the engine bay...on the passenger side...behind the air filter on that side....there should be a splitter from the tank to the front hood spray and one that goes to the rear...check that maybe it came out like mine did....ill try to get a pic tomorrow...

I think I found where the hose to the back wiper is unhooked, but WHERE does it go???? I cant tell where to re-attach it............

My rear window is GROSSSSSSS, help a girl out!!!;)

Julia: If you found the end of the hose that feeds the rear window, try to find the splitter next. Maybe try to follow the hose back from the nozzles that spray the windshield to the splitter - or follow the hose that comes out the bottom of the washer tank to the splitter.

Ok, I found the splitter, and reconnected it...............now all the fluid is DUMPING OUT behind the rear passenger tire! WTF???!!!!!!
Any ideas??

The washer line has either pulled off the spray nozzle at the top of the rear hatch or the line has spilt. My bet is that it has been pulled off. Time to "dis-assemble" the rear hatch so you can check out that line !!

Thanks to this site my rear window washer works again instead of wasting fluid

I had the same problem a few years back after recently purchasing the truck. Mine only opened up under the hood at the splitter. Never had this problem with vehicles with a seperate rear reservoir.

'02 Explorer rear washer

My experience was a little different. I traced a leak to the back passenger side rear quarter panel near the spare. There were two access holes covered with plastic on my EB. They proved useful in tracing the tube. Then, I took apart the interior panels around the hatch on the passenger side tracing the tube from the front reservoir. Only the upper panel had to come completely off. There was a connector for the tubing there. It had vibrated loose. 20 minutes or so.

Back