2002 Explorer Sound System: NEED ADVICE! | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer Sound System: NEED ADVICE!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I saw those Kicker kits, but the dual word in there confused me, I thought it was two for everything. I think I will go after that middle kit. Is it possible to run the small amp off this somehow also?

The Kicker kit is GREAT wire, and if you check shipping charges, the Knukonceptz kits may be the same price for what is essentially the same kits in different colors. I have both Kicker and Knu for my install.

The Kicker kit is GREAT wire, and if you check shipping charges, the Knukonceptz kits may be the same price for what is essentially the same kits in different colors. I have both Kicker and Knu for my install.

How big are the power blocks that come with Kicker kit? I want to run 0 gauge to the power block, then as big as possible to the sub amp and about 8 guage to my blaupunkt speaker amp.

I believe the Kicker blocks have 2x1/0 inputs and 3 or 4 outputs (4/8 convertible). I'm not sure as I don't buy kits, I buy my wire in 100+ foot spools.

I believe the Kicker blocks have 2x1/0 inputs and 3 or 4 outputs (4/8 convertible). I'm not sure as I don't buy kits, I buy my wire in 100+ foot spools.

Would 4 gauge be sufficient to run for about 6 inches for the sub? My Blaupunkt booklet says 4 gauge works for a distance of 10 feet or less at 1000 watts. I think it would be easier to run one wire from the battery and have both amps in the back, rather than two wires from battery and speaker amp up from and sub amp in back.

Run one 0 gauge to the back to the distro block then 4 gauge to the amps

Run one 0 gauge to the back to the distro block then 4 gauge to the amps

Alright sweet, that I all I think I need to know. So here is what is getting ordered soon:

NINe.1 and 19Ov.2
Kicker PKD1
Comes to a total of about $515 which is a steal I must say.

Actually that's it for now. I will be setting the head unit up tomorrow after school. I want to see how the stock speakers sound before I spend the money on speakers and other things for the speaker amp. Will be ordering subs and amp tomorrow also. I have one more quick question. I know RCA's go from the head unit to the amp, but then what gauge will I need to go from the amp to the sub?

stock speakers sound like crap IMO.

you won't be able to hear them at all over the bass

stock speakers sound like crap IMO.

you won't be able to hear them at all over the bass

Yea I kinda figured that, so that's why I am planning for the other amp to run two infinitys in the front. I dont think it would be powerful enough to run 4. Dont think its necessary either.

BTW, is this all I need for the sub-out to the amp? I noticed all of them have two cables, when I only need one I believe.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/product_info.php?cPath=28_32&products_id=235

yes...any rca cable will work fine

You asked about the speaker wire, anything 16ag or larger will suffice. I think that amp has 8ag terminals. You don't need it, but you can if you wish.

I really don't feel like reading the whole thread but heres what i have and sounds amazing
0 gauge stinger wire
Pioneer Avic-n2
Soundstream PCA2000D
2 15" Kicker L7s
kinetics hc800

Thats only for the bass...i have another amp for the mids and highs

In the back of my explorer...looky

19Ov2T-Line.png

Mmmmm....T-line. Me likey. What 12 are you using in there?

Got the head unit installed today, no problems. Will be ordering things soon. Hope all goes well. Will update with pictures soon.

Quick question: What kind of wire goes from the amp to the sub? 4g? If that be the case I will need to order some. The amp kit doesn't come with that I believe. Also, where does the remote sire hook up for the amp?

This is kit I am getting.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=17214

Almost about to order, but I just want to ask a few last questions:

Will the stock alternator keep up with 1200 RMS power?

What kind of wire do I need to go from the amp to the sub, and what size does it need to be?
The eD rep just recommended 12-16 gauge from the amp to sub. Sound right to you guys?

Just a little worried about pulling the trigger on this. Don't want to waste money.

16-12 gauge is plenty for 1200 watts.

I'd recommend you upgrade your big three with 0 gauge and upgrade all grounds with 0 gauge, a new battery up front and a battery in the back and you should be perfectly fine.

I have a 98 explorer and my stock alt and single duralast gold up front keeps up with my Nine.1 fairly easily.

16-12 gauge is plenty for 1200 watts.

I'd recommend you upgrade your big three with 0 gauge and upgrade all grounds with 0 gauge, a new battery up front and a battery in the back and you should be perfectly fine.

I have a 98 explorer and my stock alt and single duralast gold up front keeps up with my Nine.1 fairly easily.

I will do the big three and a new battery is needed soon anyways. What kind of battery do you recommend. I don't have much money left after buying all this stuff and I was hoping it would work without all the electrical upgrades.

The amp won't suck 1200watts all the time will it? If I keep the volume nice and low for a week or two while I get my funds back up, nothing should crap out on me right? Also, any good articles on how to break a sub in? Would like to do it right.

Another important question. Should the sub be facing the trunk or straight up? I presume point backwards.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is no need to "break in" the sub. Just wire it up and slam away. Just make sure the gain is set correctly and not clipping the signal.

I have a durlast gold battery up front and it works fine. The voltage drops a little bit but the voltage jumps back up pretty fast. The battery was like 60-70 bucks from autozone

Back