2002 Explorer XLT Transmission Problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer XLT Transmission Problems

heinzboz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
My brother just got an 02 Explorer with the 4.0 engine. I'm not sure if its the 5r55w or s trans, but either way it has issues. It has 89,000 miles on it. His friend that used to own it took it to the stealership when the trans started acting up, and they told him they diagnosed it and he needed a new trans to the tune of $3800. They also convinced him the rig was only worth $5000 so no since in putting that kind of money into it and he decided to buy a new car and trade in the Explorer for $2000!! My brother told him he was crazy and if still possible he would give him the two grand for the Explorer instead of him trading it to the dealer. Anyway, he did get it for $2000, and when they went to get it from the shop at the dealer (after paying the $250 diagnostic fee) the previous owner wanted the report on what they found. They said, oh, we dont have any reports or anything, we just tried putting a module on it and it didnt fix it, so our best guess is the bands or something! Are you kidding me, your best guess!! This is why I cant stand dealerships! Now we dont know what module they are talking about trying on it (maybe the solenoid block?), but I cant see them going to all that trouble just for a diagnosis. Ok, sorry for rambling on, I just thought it was rediculous about the dealership shop. Here is what is going on with the trans. I haven't driven it yet myself, but my brother says that at first when he drove it, everything shifted perfect and it drove great. Then after awhile, like after it got warmed up it basically shifted into first gear and wouldnt shift out. He also said the od light was blinking, and it started idling faster, in fact, he said he didnt even have to touch the gas and it drove him down the street. I'm going to go drive it myself to get a better description of what its doing, but thats all I have for now. I have read on here about the solenoid pack and the valve body, but all those symptoms seem to be linked more to the 2-3 shift flare. Well, whoever has read all of this is probably needing some eyedrops and tylenol by now. Sorry for the long, rambling post!! I promise to keep them shorter in the near future! And thanks for any help.

actually might want to read up on Servo Bores thats my guess. . .
as far as the stealership, only my guess, they looked at it asked whats wrong 'shifting funny or not at all' thats easy just replace the transmission, diagnostic done pay $250. They see so many they don't even run diagnostics but ask for $3600 up front - lol. .

They might have hooked up a scanner, which might be the module you refer too, NGS handheld scanner that pulls codes. The PCM is what controls the transmission and engine too, doubt they touched that but i don't know for sure.

I'd get it, drive it and start the diagnostic from scratch. Junkyard the trans if thats it, keep it cheap by all means.

Back