Dismiss Notice

and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2002 Ford Explorer ABS light on please help!

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by fordlover453, July 30, 2012.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. fordlover453

fordlover453 New Member

hey guys I need some help. I was driving my car yesterday and all of the sudden the ABS light came on. I have a scan tool but it does not have an abs reader built in. I read around and someone said it could be a module or a sensor? what are common abs parts that are replaced on an 02 ford explorer limited edition? also, do the wheel abs sensors just give out randomly? im not familar with ford. I've only ever dealt with euro cars

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. EXPLORER04

EXPLORER04 Active Member

City, State:
      Buffalo, NY
      Year and Model:
      04 XLT
      Most of the time its the rear speed sensor, it the 4x4 light on also?

4. blackout881

blackout881 Active Member

City, State:
      NY
      Year and Model:
      '04 Eddie Bauer 4.0
      Mine has been coming on periodically for about 20k miles. Truck doesn't act any different at all so I have never gotten it checked out. Mine comes on when I step on the gas too hard. As long as I keep it under 3500 Rpms it won't come on.

5. fordlover453

fordlover453 New Member

My 4x4 light is not on and when I turn off the car and then turn it back on the abs light
      Goes off. But when I put the car in drive and start moving for about 3-5 seconds, the light comes back on

6. fordlover453

fordlover453 New Member

Just if anyone was curious, it was my front wheel bearing that was completely trashed and needed to be replaced.

7. 02Owner

02Owner New Member

City, State:
      North Carolina
      Year and Model:
      02 XLT
      Looking for some answers on my ABS light. Came on the other day and noticed a hard hesitation from the rear. Light has gone off but the hesitation is still there. Went to Advanced Auto but the light was not on so no luck w/ a code being read. Could this be a simple sensor replacement?

8. njlarry

njlarry New Member

Year and Model:
      2002 Bauer
      Sorry if this doesn't help much but my 2002 has gone through periods where the ABS warning light goes on and then always goes off before I get it tot a dealer/repair place. No codes are shown and the car handles the same.
      Has not reoccurred in over a year. Dealer says it must be lit to diagnosis but it always goes way by time I make it there.-??

9. Nyalyn

Nyalyn New Member

City, State:
      Pompano Beach
      Year and Model:
      2002 explorer xlt
      I took my 2002 ford explorer xlt to check the abs light on. The mechanic told me it is the front left that needs changing BUT I have to the whole hub assembley. Is that correct or can I buy only the sensor? Please help

10. Donystoy

Donystoy Active Member

City, State:
      Hamilton, Ontario
      Year and Model:
      02 Eddie Bauer
      I have never replaced one separately but they do appear to be available if you do a search. I just checked an old hub that I replaced last year and was successful in removing the sensor by removing an allen screw.

Last edited: March 29, 2014
    11. Nyalyn

Nyalyn New Member

City, State:
      Pompano Beach
      Year and Model:
      2002 explorer xlt
      Thanks, I will try and look at mine and see because that would save me some $$$.....I will let you know as soon as I can do it...

12. broncojunkie

broncojunkie Member

City, State:
      Huntington, WV
      Year and Model:
      2002 Explorer XLT
      Do a write-up on it with pics, if you can!:salute: