1. for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2002 Ford Explorer. Power window went down by itself, and does not go up.

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by splitmama, July 4, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. splitmama

splitmama New Member

City, State:
      manorville ny
      Year and Model:
      2002 eddie bauer
      Hello,

My drivers side window went down by itself one done when I started up my car. It would not go back up. I replaced the switch to no avail. The switch has the auto down feature which I suspected to be the problem so I reconfiqured the wiring to bypass the circuit and installed a mini-switch on the door panel so I could lower the window. The up position on the oem switch works fine.

Does anyone know why this window would lower by itself? Could it be a faulty window motor? Has anyone heard of this before?

Thanks and Happy 4th,

Jimmy

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 1AJeremyD

1AJeremyD Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Mass
      Year and Model:
      95 XLT 4.0
      Welcome to the forum! In your post you said that the window went down and then would not go back up. Then later you stated that the up position on the switch works fine. I would suggest rewording what you wrote to make a little bit more sense. Thanks!

4. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    5. BigRondo

BigRondo USMC 1371 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Worcester, MA
      Year and Model:
      2002 XLT V6 4x4
      Welcome aboard! :salute:

I agree with Jeremy. Your post is somewhat confusing. Do the other windows work?

A lot of electrical issues can be traced back to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I found 2 broken wires and repaired them. The thin black ground wire was broken and after repairing it all was back to normal. When the windows stopped working, I repaired the thick black ground wire and the windows now work like a champ.

Here is the thread for removing the door panel: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=303524

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Be sure to take your time when looking for broken/damaged wire(s). Check all the wires for breaks/damage. When you think you're done looking, look again, and again, and again. A bright flashlight can be very helpful.

If you are sure you have no broken/damaged wires in the boot, here is a great link for troubleshooting the power windows, thanks to theofam for this great link http://www.scribd.com/doc/14896086/2...stem-Diagnosis

Hope this helps out. :biggthump

6. splitmama

splitmama New Member

City, State:
      manorville ny
      Year and Model:
      2002 eddie bauer
      Thanks for the replies. I will try to clarify my problem:

As I started the car one day, the drivers side window went down by itself and would not go back up. The three remaining windows still work fine.

I traced the problem to the one push down feature in the window switch. It was some how sending a signal to open the window. It was acting like someone had there finger on the button and would not let up. I replaced the switch with a brand new one and still had the same problem.

I have an electrical backround so I studied the behavior of the circuit and was able to disconnect the auto down feature, but by doing so I had no way to lower the window. So I installed a mini push button switch that sent a signal to lower the window. It works but I still cannot figure out why the window would lower by itself with the auto-down circuit online. I have not checked the wires in the boot but will do so.

I was just wondering if anyone had seen this behavior before.

Thanks again,

James Carine

Last edited: August 7, 2011