Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2002 Mercury Mountaineer Tranny Swap

Discussion in 'Transmissions & Transfer Cases' started by Jlewis59, August 8, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Jlewis59

Jlewis59 New Member

City, State:
      Greenwhich, OH
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2002 Mercury Mountaineer
      So I bought this mountaineer for 250 knowing it had tranny problems and that I'd have to swap the tranny, but I have the other tranny out and I'm at the point of getting the new one in and it's been awful. The thing just doesn't wanna go in right. I got it in and had the tourney converter studs lined up in the holes on the flywheel and had two bolts in the bottoms and could get one in on the passenger side, but the top of the tranny would not come flush with the engine and no bolts could go in. I don't understand why or how it would be binding on anything or anything like that. Can anyone give any advice on what my next approach should be?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. JK080

JK080 Transmission Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      North Ga
      05 F250 6.0
      Things that can keep the transmission from being able to be flush to the engine are, converter not fully seated into transmission, incorrect converter, too many engine dowel pins, items stuck between the bell housing and block.

My guess would be the converter is not fully engaged into the transmission.

4. Jlewis59

Jlewis59 New Member

City, State:
      Greenwhich, OH
      2002 Mercury Mountaineer
      I don't really know how to tell if that's what it is, but I know that I did rotate it and push forward on it until I flunked into place. Is there a way to tell if it's not fully engaged

5. JK080

City, State:
      North Ga
      05 F250 6.0
      We pulled one out this morning and I took a flat edge and laid it across the bell housing and measured the gap between the flat edge and the converter pilot. I was able to get a 7/32 drill bit between this.

20170809_114820.jpg

6. Jlewis59

Jlewis59 New Member

City, State:
      Greenwhich, OH
      2002 Mercury Mountaineer
      So the shaft on the tourque converter should be fully inside the bell housing and not sticking out of it? How do I get it to engage more I kept trying and trying and it wouldn't go in any more

7. JK080

City, State:
      North Ga
      05 F250 6.0
      Keep spinning and bumping it, hopefully it will go all the way in. Maybe pull it back out and check for any damage to the hub and look up in the pump to see if the pump gears are showing any damage. Also the smaller shaft sticking out of the trans will come out, make sure its all the way in.

8. Jlewis59

Jlewis59 New Member

City, State:
      Greenwhich, OH
      2002 Mercury Mountaineer
      I was looking at the converter and it looks all good, tried to pull the little shaft out of the big one one the tranny and the thing won't budge. Also how easily should that shaft turn by hand? I know in the old tranny I can pull that shaft out like it's nothing but on this one I can't pull it out. Should this be somthing to be concerned about and if so what should I do next? Thanks for the help so far too I appreciate it.

9. Jlewis59

Jlewis59 New Member

City, State:
      Greenwhich, OH
      2002 Mercury Mountaineer
      Also, on the old tranny the torque converter will engage fully pretty easily. So it's starting to bother me that it won't on this tranny. I'm starting to believe when this guy pulled out this tranny he may have bent the shaft or somthing.

10. Jlewis59

Jlewis59 New Member

City, State:
      Greenwhich, OH
      2002 Mercury Mountaineer
      I believe the shaft is in backwards, I just can't get the thing to come out

11. JK080

City, State:
      North Ga
      05 F250 6.0
      I was thinking it might be in backwards

I have had a tough time getting those back out before, sometimes I have to wait till I have the transmission apart to get the shaft out of the planetary.

I have used a pair of vice grips attached to a slide hammer to get the shaft to come out before, even if you mess up the splines you can use your other one.

Also the splines in the overdrive planet are known to strip or wear significantly and can cause the shaft to get stuck.

12. Jlewis59

Jlewis59 New Member

City, State:
      Greenwhich, OH
      2002 Mercury Mountaineer
      Yeah I've heard that about taking the tranny apart but with my luck I'd forget how it went back together. I'm gonna try the slide hammer and hopefully it'll come out