Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2002 Mountaineer won't shift out of park, no brake lights

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by Magicland, May 15, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Magicland

Magicland Member

City, State:
      New Jersey
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      04, 02, 00 Mountaineers
      Sounds like a brake pedal switch. When I short the wires to the switch, the brake lights come on, which also makes me think it's the switch. However, this morning I replaced the brake pedal switch with a brand new one, and I've still got the same problems. Can't shift out of park (at least without rooting around in the steering column) and the brake lights aren't working. Obviously, since shorting the wires gets them to work, there's no issue with the bulbs, or the wiring TO the brake lights... Anyone have any ideas?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. mbrando1994

mbrando1994 Active Member

2003 Ford Ex XLT
      4.0 V6
      Are you sure everything is hooked up properly? It definitely sounds like the brake light switch. Have you tried pumping the brake pedal a few times? I sometimes have to do that to get it to 'grab' and catch that the pedal is depressed

4. imp

imp Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Missouri Ozarks
      2004 XLT
      Solenoid which unlocks the shifter when brake pedal depressed is faulty, or fuse feeding it is blown. I'd check that first. imp

5. loooney2ns

loooney2ns New Member

2005 EXPLORER XLT
      Check the wiring inside the plug going to the switch. Usually, one or both of the terminals develop a crack and lose contact. You can get a new plug at the auto parts store. It's a common problem on Ford vehicles with a 2 wire switch.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Magicland

Magicland Member

City, State:
      New Jersey
      04, 02, 00 Mountaineers
      Thanks to everyone who posted! Turned out Auto Zone sold me a bad switch. Tested it with my meter, and it wasn't closing. Got a replacement, and now I've got brake lights again!